NHL Season Start Date: January 13, 2021

nfreeman

6 minutes ago, Shootica said:

I think the Arizona goalie dream starts to fizzle with this requirement.  This takes away any pressure the Yotes had to move a goalie, keeping all three on the active roster costs them nothing extra and is no worse than having one on the taxi squad.

They probably would still like to move Raanta for financial reasons, but they'll be happy to wait as long as it takes to get a decent return.

According to what’s been reported, the goalie on the taxi squad would still have to clear waivers though.

That said, the Arizona goalie thing was always more about money and acquiring futures for them than it was about waiver concerns.

I think this just increases the chances of Hutton and futures being the price we pay.

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

According to what’s been reported, the goalie on the taxi squad would still have to clear waivers though.

That said, the Arizona goalie thing was always more about money and acquiring futures for them than it was about waiver concerns.

I think this just increases the chances of Hutton and futures being the price we pay.

Seems like the requirement will be 3 goalies combined between the roster and taxi squad.  So in Arizona's case, there's really no reason to risk waivers on Hill, you'd just keep him on the active roster.

Agreed that money is still probably their driving force, that and recouping draft picks.  But it sure would have been nice to have a waivers problem putting a timer on them as well.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think you guys are probably right, and that this isn't a change in the deal reached in the MOU.  The TSN article was a bit misleading:

But that next 10%/diluted 8% is just a deferral, right?  It's not escrow and thus not subject to forfeiture?

I think this is right, which is why I am surprised that the owners agreed to reduce escrow to 10% in year 2 from now and 6% thereafter, and haven't insisted on reopening those #s. 

My understanding is that you are correct in that the deferred payments cannot be forfeited.

I'd like to be optimistic, but with the numbers on the rise, and no bubble(which the players were never going to agree to and I can't blame them for that), I see covid reaking havoc on this already shortened season.

Don't get me wrong, Sabres hockey on TV basically every other day will help January and February move a little faster....so for my sake, I hope the season can play out with as few hiccups as possible.

3 hours ago, Shootica said:

Seems like the requirement will be 3 goalies combined between the roster and taxi squad.  So in Arizona's case, there's really no reason to risk waivers on Hill, you'd just keep him on the active roster.

Agreed that money is still probably their driving force, that and recouping draft picks.  But it sure would have been nice to have a waivers problem putting a timer on them as well.

If they carry 3 goalies on the active roster, something that was always an option btw, then that’s one less skater that they are able to carry.  If that was their plan all along, this information doesn’t change anything.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

If they carry 3 goalies on the active roster, something that was always an option btw, then that’s one less skater that they are able to carry.  If that was their plan all along, this information doesn’t change anything.

This. All the goalie taxi squad requirement does is make sure that at least one of your minor league goalies is immediately available if you need him. It has no effect on Arizona’s plan for their goaltending.

• Like (+1) 1

It appears that the main benefit for the taxi squad is that you can freely move waiver safe players on and off it on non-game days.

If Im reading this correctly, you could theoretically put Dahlin on the taxi squad on off-days, and save his cap hit.

Same thing with a player who is not likely to be claimed, like Okposo.

Capfriendly:

With the players on the TS allowed to travel/practice with the team, clubs can essentially operate at the 20 skater min on all non game days.
Sending players up/down between the 23-man roster and TS on non game days can also be a way to maximize the 30 day waiver window for players who had recently cleared waivers. It's possible that a player would only need clear waivers once with out needing waivers a second time.

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It appears that the main benefit for the taxi squad is that you can freely move waiver safe players on and off it on non-game days.

If Im reading this correctly, you could theoretically put Dahlin on the taxi squad on off-days, and save his cap hit.

Same thing with a player who is not likely to be claimed, like Okposo.

This is actually a pretty good idea.  Could definitely save a little cap space like that

27 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Here's something I hadn't realized:  each team will play only the teams in its division.  The Sabres' season will consist of 8 games against each of

Boston

New Jersey

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Washington

For all intents and purposes, it will be four separate leagues.

There will be no way of knowing if the 62-point Sabres are better or worse than the 72-point Leafs. There is no frame of reference because they are playing completely different opponents.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Here's something I hadn't realized:  each team will play only the teams in its division.  The Sabres' season will consist of 8 games against each of

Boston

New Jersey

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Washington

.500 will be an accomplishment. Five of those teams are better than us. 

• nfreeman changed the title to NHL Season Start Date: January 13, 2021
13 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Boston

New Jersey

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Washington

Good competition makes us better. If we get good goaltending we should be able to compete. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.