2020-'21 Sabres Prospects

Taro T

The attached link is an article on Arttu Ruotsalainen by Lance Lysowski from the Buffalo News. It discusses Arttu 's development as a player indicating that he is more ready to play in the NHL. It points out that he showed well in the prior camp but he needed to improve his skating before he would be able to solidify a position. My sense is that he will start in Rochester in order to adjust to the smaller rinks in North America before being brought up. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/faster-more-dynamic-arttu-ruotsalainen-showing-he-could-earn-spot-with-sabres/article_9ccab7a0-2038-11eb-9e9b-1b826ab77921.html

28 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They can protect up to 11 players if they protect 1 goalie, 3 D, and 7 forwards.  If they want to protect a 2nd G, 4th D, or 8th F then they can only protect 9 players.

They are required to expose at least 2 F's & 1D that meet the minimum experience levels stated in an earlier post and they also must expose at least 1 G with any level of experience. 

In order to expose a player the team must control their rights (i.e., they have to be under contract for '21-'22 or must be an RFA to which the team has rights.

Players w/ full NTC's and NMC's must be protected.  Not sure what limited NMC/NTCs also trigger the requirement for the player to be protected.  (Haven't seen that specifically addressed in the summaries of the expansion draft rules that are available and have never directly seen the official rules regarding it.)

Players with 2 or fewer NHL/AHL seasons don't have to be protected.

Can they just protect 10 (3D, 7F) and not protect a goalie?  I suppose there isn't a roster benefit to that, but there might be a cap benefit.

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Can they just protect 10 (3D, 7F) and not protect a goalie?  I suppose there isn't a roster benefit to that, but there might be a cap benefit.

They can expose any additional players they want but there is no benefit that is readily apparent to doing so.

Rather than expose all their goalies that would require protection, it would seem trading the one they wanted to drop for "cap relief" would make better business sense.  Hutton is a UFA next year.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-assessing-development-plans-for-jack-quinn-dylan-cozens-upl/article_65992478-2363-11eb-8876-031b7c00e74c.html

Interesting article in TBN.  It really brings to light how difficult continued develop of our prospects is going to be in this new Covid world.  It also clarified for me KA’s vision for our goaltending this coming season.  It appears to me his plan is to let UPL develop in top league in Finland this season and then have Johansson and Togarski man the AHL net. 

As to Quinn and Cozens, what a mess. Where does Quinn play if the OHL is a no checking league?  Where does Cozens go if he doesn’t make the Sabres?  I’m glad that both Quinn and Cozens will be playing for team Canada, but after that who knows.  

I kind of feels like the lockout season in reverse.  

24 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-assessing-development-plans-for-jack-quinn-dylan-cozens-upl/article_65992478-2363-11eb-8876-031b7c00e74c.html

Interesting article in TBN.  It really brings to light how difficult continued develop of our prospects is going to be in this new Covid world.  It also clarified for me KA’s vision for our goaltending this coming season.  It appears to me his plan is to let UPL develop in top league in Finland this season and then have Johansson and Togarski man the AHL net. 

As to Quinn and Cozens, what a mess. Where does Quinn play if the OHL is a no checking league?  Where does Cozens go if he doesn’t make the Sabres?  I’m glad that both Quinn and Cozens will be playing for team Canada, but after that who knows.  

Cozens is making the Sabres whether he deserves it or not. Quinn is a bigger problem. Maybe he can go to the KHL like the troubled Coyotes draft pick who  they already gave up on after drafting a pr disaster. 

56 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that Cozens will be on the Sabres.

Quinn might just end up playing in the OHL.  He also might score over a goal per game with no checking.  He could try to find a team in Europe, but spots in Europe might be tight.  A lot of players have had that idea already.  You don’t want Quinn just going anywhere over there.  It needs to be the right situation for his development or it’s not really worth it.

Given the uncertainty of the AHL and the CHL, and the weird travel demands of COVID, I suspect the NHL will be implementing extraordinary roster guidelines on an interim basis.

As a result, guys like Cozens and Quinn may be able to practice and travel with the Sabres without officially being on the roster.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As to Quinn and Cozens, what a mess. Where does Quinn play if the OHL is a no checking league?  Where does Cozens go if he doesn’t make the Sabres?  I’m glad that both Quinn and Cozens will be playing for team Canada, but after that who knows.  

I don't understand resorting to playing hockey without checking as a safety response to limiting Covid risks? Both the NFL and NBA play games which are inherently very physical. The risk for players in whatever sport is that infected people knowingly or not will infect others. That's why there is testing and virus free bubbles that separate players from people who have come from a potentially infected environment.  

On the issue of Cozens I don't see a scenario where he doesn't make the roster. Even without the Covid situation because of his age he was not going to be able to play in the AHL, and there was little for him to gain playing in the juniors. The model for him to follow is the Kirby Dach model where the Blackhawks started him off as a winger with limited playing time and allowed him to increase his role as he gained experience.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't understand resorting to playing hockey without checking as a safety response to limiting Covid risks? Both the NFL and NBA play games which are inherently very physical. The risk for players in whatever sport is that infected people knowingly or not will infect others. That's why there is testing and virus free bubbles that separate players from people who have come from a potentially infected environment.  

On the issue of Cozens I don't see a scenario where he doesn't make the roster. Even without the Covid situation because of his age he was not going to be able to play in the AHL, and there was little for him to gain playing in the juniors. The model for him to follow is the Kirby Dach model where the Blackhawks started him off as a winger with limited playing time and allowed him to increase his role as he gained experience.

To the bolded: never let a crisis go to waste.  

There are people that hate checking in hockey; that checking somebody who is clothed from head to toe won't increase actual physical skin to skin contact which presumably is how checking would theoretically increase viral transmission rates doesn't matter.

A no checking league is also going to adversely affect player development. Players grow with challenges and checking removes this. What happens when they make it to the NHL and are getting steamrolled? I guess it will be back to the AHL or wherever to become reacquainted with physical contact. 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Yeah, I think it makes no sense too.  Covid is going to be spread by guys sitting next to each other on the bench and in the locker room, not during a body check.

27 minutes ago, Taro T said:

To the bolded: never let a crisis go to waste.  

There are people that hate checking in hockey; that checking somebody who is clothed from head to toe won't increase actual physical skin to skin contact which presumably is how checking would theoretically increase viral transmission rates doesn't matter.

Who is mandating the no body checking in the OHL?  Is it the League, the local health departments, the provincial government?

Who are the people who hate checking in hockey?  If I were to indulge in stereotypes, I doubt it is the generally old white guys who are decision makers within the OHL and government.

59 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, I think it makes no sense too.  Covid is going to be spread by guys sitting next to each other on the bench and in the locker room, not during a body check.

Who is mandating the no body checking in the OHL?  Is it the League, the local health departments, the provincial government?

Who are the people who hate checking in hockey?  If I were to indulge in stereotypes, I doubt it is the generally old white guys who are decision makers within the OHL and government.

It seems to be the Province's Head of Sports (don't recall the exact title) that is the main proponent of the no checking  directive.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/no-bodychecking-in-ohl-this-year

No Bodychecking in the OHL This Year?

That's what the government of Ontario is proposing, but would it really protect players from Covid-19, or just drastically alter the game?

The OHL season isn't slated to begin until Feb. 4 for the 2020-21 season, but a bomb dropped Friday afternoon when it was revealed that Ontario Minister of Sport Lisa MacLeod confirmed in a speech at the Empire Club of Canada that no bodychecking will be allowed this year, due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

.... and it makes me realize why people keep voting for bigger governments.  They are so wise and their decisions so well reasoned.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Curt said:

This is just my guess but when it is further discussed and considered I think that this absurd/nonsensical proposed policy will not go into effect and hockey will go back to being played the regular way. I don't know if fighting is allowed in this league but if it is I suspect that it will be prohibited. Which to me makes sense. 

With the exponential growth of this pernicious virus the more relevant question is whether hockey in this league and other leagues will be shut down completely. This virus is exploding out of control everywhere. It's a scary situation. 

Look, I would expect that "no checking" ends up looking a lot like a USA v Canada women's game where they are out there bouncing off each other at all times.  You might not get the "finishing check" but you can be sure there will be contact.

And I think that's the real key.  In all non-checking leagues, it does not mean "no contact".  There's usually plenty of that.

38 minutes ago, LTS said:

Look, I would expect that "no checking" ends up looking a lot like a USA v Canada women's game where they are out there bouncing off each other at all times.  You might not get the "finishing check" but you can be sure there will be contact.

And I think that's the real key.  In all non-checking leagues, it does not mean "no contact".  There's usually plenty of that.

The problem with "no checking" even if there is still physical contact is that the altered style of play hinders player development. The point of getting a lot of playing time in these lower leagues is for the player to develop one's skills to prepare to play at the higher NHL level. This more finesse style of play not only doesn't do that but it also may retard the development of players. As has been discussed in prior posts I don't see how the proposed change in rules has anything to do with the issue of Covid and its transmission. 

• Like (+1) 1

So Constantini gets a mention in "The hockey news" Hockey News

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/prospect-round-up-north-america?li_source=LI&li_medium=m2m-rcw-the-hockey-news-on-sports-illustrated

20 points in 13 games...

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 2

Cozens sat out practice after being late.

He was getting treatment from the training staff but forgot to let the coach know. Tourigny is using this as an example for the rest of the team.

If Cozens was a bubble player for Team Canada, this could be a deal breaker. There is plenty of time to get past this and I think he will still get a letter on his sweater.

https://www.tsn.ca/world-juniors

It was Cozens and Dach. And they weren't exactly late, they hit the ice exactly as practice was about to start.

Coach skated up to them privately, told them that they need to do better. Gave them the choice to let it slide and practice, or sit out to set an example.

They chose to sit. Got a fist bump from the coach and they left.

• Like (+1) 1

What a bunch of crap.  It isn't the kid's job to communicate with the coaches when they are receiving medical or other treatments from the Team Canada staff.  The coaches and training staff need to have open communication lines about who is in treatment when and why.  If the kids have a personal issue or family emergency then they absolutely need to tell the coaches what is going on.  However, blaming the kids for the failure of Team Canada personnel to communicate properly with each other is BS.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What a punch of crap.  It isn't the kid's job to communicate with the coaches when they are receiving medical or other treatments from the Team Canada staff.  The coaches and training staff need to have open communication lines about who is in treatment when and why.  If the kids have a personal issue or family emergency then they absolutely need to tell the coaches what is going on.  However, blaming the kids for the failure of Team Canada personnel to communicate properly with each other is BS.

Rather presumptuous isn't this?  Do you know Team Canada's policies?  The fact that both players chose to sit out when given a choice by the coach and that the coach even came up to them about it seems to indicate they are all okay with this.  But somehow, from your chair, this is all wrong?

25 minutes ago, LTS said:

Rather presumptuous isn't this?  Do you know Team Canada's policies?  The fact that both players chose to sit out when given a choice by the coach and that the coach even came up to them about it seems to indicate they are all okay with this.  But somehow, from your chair, this is all wrong?

In fact, the attitude of the coaches and players about the incident proves the incident is BS.  So yes from armchair It looks completely staged and therefore BS.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.