Free Agent Frenzy! Oct 9, 2020

spndnchz

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

OK, bullet dodged.

Leafs are nearly $2 million over the cap and they still have to sign Mikhayev and Dermott.

Dump coming there.

I think they knew their D would have to be addressed to move forward. Brodie should be a slight upgrade based on his play style (thank you NHL package for all those Calgary and Edmonton games I got to watch).

5 mil, meh, it's nothing for the Leafs, if the player works out.

17 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Sabres should be on the phone with Krug, Vatenen, and especially Erik Gustafsson.  Gustafsson would be a great fit.  All top-4 left-shot Ds.  All point producers.

I'm assuming Gustafsson and Vatanen would be looking at pretty similar deals to Brodie.  Is that around where you see them?

Cousins to Nashville, 2 years, 1.5 AAV. Another Girgensons comparable gone.

What do you guys think this has Larsson thinking? Maybe circling back?

Also, Nashville has been announcing multiple depth signings but Fast isn't one of them. Is that a done deal?

And what happened to the Kahun to LA report?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We don't need PP defencemen.

Dahlin will get all the ice time there and Miller and Risto are good backups. Montour is serviceable.

Krug at least is good at even strength.

Krug and Vatanen were demonstrably fine at ES.  Gustafsson was ok.  The other UFA LDs are much, much worse (Ericsson, Kulikoz, Zadarov, Alzner, Forbort).  Name another UFA LD that you'd let even sniff this roster.

26 minutes ago, Shootica said:

I'm assuming Gustafsson and Vatanen would be looking at pretty similar deals to Brodie.  Is that around where you see them?

Vatenen should attract Brodie+ money.  Brodie is somewhat underrated because points, but is measurably solid at both ends of the ice.  4 x $5M is about right for Brodie, as he was making $4.65M, and not way out of the park for his ability, factoring in the UFA premium.  Vatenen's about the same age, contributes more in the offensive end, and was making $4.875M.

Gustafsson will likely make less than Brodie unless he's grossly overpaid.  He was making only $1.2M.  He contributes a little less in both own-end and offensive zone (as of this past season), but had a career season in 2018-2019.

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Krug to St Louis 

Toronto is out with the Brodie move...unless they have a massive trade coming.

Vegas cleared cap for this, and are probably the likely place for Piet.

Buffalo has been rumored to want him badly...no reason to expect us to win atm though.

So if Toronto is out on Pietrangelo and St. Louis is out on Pietrangelo, and Vegas is hard up against the cap...?

And if Pegula is willing to get stupid for Pietrangelo and wants to stick it to St. Louis for the ROR deal...?

And Pietrangelo is a family man who's from southern Ontario and wants to stick it to St. Louis...?

Are the Sabres suddenly in the picture?

• Awesome! (+1) 2

This isn't a comment of displeasure, as we've got a ways to go obviously and Covid is affecting the timeline of this stuff, but purely for conversational purposes - I'm not sure I can remember back to the last time the Sabres were so inactive in regards to notable trades and signings on the 2 draft days and the first day of FA, combined. No trades, and only 3 minor, probably not even NHL signings. Change of pace. 

Usually we've been used to a fait bit of action on those 3 days, for better or worse. 

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So if Toronto is out on Pietrangelo and St. Louis is out on Pietrangelo, and Vegas is hard up against the cap...?

And if Pegula is willing to get stupid for Pietrangelo and wants to stick it to St. Louis for the ROR deal...?

And Pietrangelo is a family man who's from southern Ontario and wants to stick it to St. Louis...?

Yes please. 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Probably not because those teams will just make a couple moves to free up some space and get a great player while Sabres fans fret about being close to the cap in 5 years and if the Pegulas will have enough money to pay for the rest of the work to their yacht.....

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Our strategy seems to be signing every player willing to play for 1 year $700

Well I hope Pegula gets busy drilling another well. This one has gone dry. I'm ashamed I ever drank his kool aid

Edited by Radar
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.