Jump to content

Sabres, 8th overall pick: Jack Quinn


Recommended Posts

I’ve watched Quinn live a few times this year.

He is a solid player who I’ve seen score on the one timer, short handed breakaway deke and a wrister from the circle.

I didn’t think he was top 8 but he was a standout on a good team. I was surprised he was on the #1 PK and #1 PP units.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

I’ve watched Quinn live a few times this year.

He is a solid player who I’ve seen score on the one timer, short handed breakaway deke and a wrister from the circle.

I didn’t think he was top 8 but he was a standout on a good team. I was surprised he was on the #1 PK and #1 PP units.

thanks for the info!

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SDS said:

You could also say the pandemic had a hand in it and the owner is just doing what all the other owners are doing.

If it happens, can you point to any other teams that would be losing/trading a 24 year old, consistent 55-65 point scoring, bona fide first line RFA?

It's going to be a short list. If we trade Reinhart for low cost futures, it is *indefensible*. It hasn't happened, let's not go there further. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

"Really, Quinn is a player that quite frankly just started entering teams radars as he seriously made the most of his increased role for the Ottawa 67’s. Quinn is not the 67’s name that you’d expect coming up in conversations surrounding Ottawa’s pick at 5th overall, that is obviously Marco Rossi. Quinn’s name may have in fact began its ascension up people’s lists after scouts who were assigned to watch Rossi took notice. He’s a player you couldn’t help but notice for his lightning-fast release and his defensive prowess. He can play in every important situation and was more frequently utilized as the OHL season wore on.

The laziest criticism that I’ve heard about Quinn is that his production (52 G, 37 A, 89 PTS) this past season is thanks in large part, to non-other than, Marco Rossi. The fact is, Jack Quinn did not even play on the same line as Rossi (aside from the PP). “Yeah but Derek, he probably scored all of his goals on the PP, ” wrong again made up voice in my head, Jack Quinn lead the OHL in Even strength goals this season, with just 15 of his 52 coming on the man advantage (also had 3 SHG). Looking at the current construct and future of the Senators roster, there’s plenty of reason why they’d be interested in a pure goal scorer."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Scored 3 shorties I believe and played a lot of pk.  Was worried this was a Laine type one trick pony but don’t think that’s the case.  All around player who may have huge goal scoring potential.  I trust LGR and therefore wanted Rossi but let’s see what happens here, certainly potential.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jävə Keith said:

So @LGR4GM, who do you like/hope for our next pic round?

IDK who will be there and @rakish and his model might have better answers but Tyler Tullio and Tristen Robins are 2 players that jump out for me. 

Sam Colengelo would also be another name with ties to USDP that might be there. 

  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I *do* enjoy the process of reading through this thread page 1-9 where everyone freaks out at the beginning and by the end everyone loves our new goal-scoring stud 😄

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Quinn seems like a process guy... reminds me a young Jason Pominviple.

The euro, Leino.. I mean Rossi?  Not so much.

Edited by pi2000
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guy on draft dynasty shows video that points out that his hands are near elite and because of this he is in a winger that doesn’t just get set up by Rossi. He makes the first and second people miss, so he is very instrumental in scoring his own goals and not leeching off of others.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SDS said:

Guy on draft dynasty shows video that points out that his hands are near elite and because of this he is in a winger that doesn’t just get set up by Rossi. He makes the first and second people miss, so he is very instrumental in scoring his own goals and not leeching off of others.

He and Rossi were on different lines. They only shared the ice on PP1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I *do* enjoy the process of reading through this thread page 1-9 where everyone freaks out at the beginning and by the end everyone loves our new goal-scoring stud 😄

It's like going through every stage of depression... within 2 hours, lol.

  • Haha (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Soooooooooo.... Casey?

If we trade Reinhart, Pegula absolutely had a hand

The fact that you, Liger, can say so many good things about Quinn in this thread and still be disappointed to the level you are about what we passed up, says a lot about what we passed up. 

Why do you think they will trade reinhart when it will be 2 or 3 years before he makes the team?

He migh push him down the lineup in 5 years but where will Reinhart's game be in 5 years.

As far as grabbing Quinn at 8........... people were absolutely shocked and thought the rookie GM didn't know what he was doing when Chevy made Scheif his 1st pick at 7.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bunomatic said:

I’m starting to warm up to this pick. Keep the positive aspects of this kid coming folks. 

Well, up until he was about 15, Quinn was a 3 sport athlete and it was only in that 15-16 year that he focused in on hockey as what he wanted. I mention this because there's a chance he is still on that steep incline we see when prospects go from DY-1 to DY to DY+1

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Why do you think they will trade reinhart when it will be 2 or 3 years before he makes the team?

He migh push him down the lineup in 5 years but where will Reinhart's game be in 5 years.

As far as grabbing Quinn at 8........... people were absolutely shocked and thought the rookie GM didn't know what he was doing when Chevy made Scheif his 1st pick at 7.

Maybe Pegula wants to save money. Not saying I think it will happen, just calling it out now. 

Yes, sometimes players who weren't the consensus guys end up the right pick. We'll have to see. It doesn't mean that the numbers didn't say there were better guys available. Also lots loved the Scheifele pick at the time, me being one of them. 

Edited by Thorny
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SDS said:

This list has quotes from people around the hockey world. Several people comment that he actually played a lot of minutes and both PK and 5v5 away from Rossi.
 

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2020-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Jack-Quinn

His 5v5 was almost entirely away from Rossi. PP they definitely were together and I have no idea about the PK but I was happy to hear that Quinn was used on it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SDS said:

This list has quotes from people around the hockey world. Several people comment that he actually played a lot of minutes and both PK and 5v5 away from Rossi.
 

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2020-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Jack-Quinn

I don't think people are saying Quinn is a byproduct of Rossi, merely that Rossi was the better player. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm. like the rest of you, not what i expected. Button likes him and I usually disagree with Button so.........  IDK, I like size but he's not all that big, just bigger than Rossi. It's interesting that his ranking varied wildly from 7 to 20 or so. Really, I have no idea. 

I was surprised Raymond went so high. I was pretty sure we;d end up picking him at 8. Wait and see I guess. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

His 5v5 was almost entirely away from Rossi. PP they definitely were together and I have no idea about the PK but I was happy to hear that Quinn was used on it. 

I misread that. My fault.

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

Hmm. like the rest of you, not what i expected. Button likes him and I usually disagree with Button so.........  IDK, I like size but he's not all that big, just bigger than Rossi. It's interesting that his ranking varied wildly from 7 to 20 or so. Really, I have no idea. 

I was surprised Raymond went so high. I was pretty sure we;d end up picking him at 8. Wait and see I guess. 

But isn’t that the nature of NHL prospect ranking? Once you get past the first couple players they start becoming equivalent in bunches?

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I don't think people are saying Quinn is a byproduct of Rossi, merely that Rossi was the better player. 

I think for those for follow things closely like you and a few others that may be true. I bet there’s a bunch of people like me who don’t dig into the details who think that he may have played with Rossi.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • LGR4GM unpinned this topic
  • LGR4GM locked, unlocked and locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...