Sabres, 8th overall pick: Jack Quinn

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, etiennep99 said:

Remember how the NYR ping-pong ball got man-handled before the lottery?   No nothing-burgers here; the fix was in.

Oh, that's not what I meant.  I meant that Adams and his team had already done their homework prior to last night.  It's not like they decided who to draft in five minutes.  Unfortunately, they got a D on that homework assignment.

14 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Shows they wanted a big winger and not a small center

Do you we know the size of both these guys? I do think it is very important that we do indeed look for guys with size as Tampa Bay showed they play very agressive and play "big" which is something we have not done for many years

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Anyone else just forget Mittlestadt exists? I've basically just written him off lol

yeah it is kinda sad that someone who was so highly thought of just a few year sago seem sto have dropped competely off the radar...we could really use him to develop into even a good solid 3rd lien center with little pressure or expectation...he must still be quite young

5 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

What time does 2nd round start

I read somewhere 1130

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Anyone else just forget Mittlestadt exists? I've basically just written him off lol

Can you imagine if all the Sabres picks during the tank lived up to our hopes for them? It just makes me sad.

Call it the "concept of" team

Olofsson/Eichel/Reinhart

Boeser*/Cozens/Quinn

Compher/Mittelstadt/Nylander

Davidsson/Asplund/Lemieux

Dahlin/Ristolainen

Samuelsson/Zadorov

Johnson/Guhle

Peterson

Luukkonen

Spares: Bailey Baptiste Borgen

*(Had we not traded for Lehner)

1 hour ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Well I’m sure that you know way more than Adams about hockey

Never said i did but i trust the 50 analysts and scouts that say Rossi is better. Plus i trust my eyes when i watch them both play. Hopefully im wrong but for me with this franchise needing to hit i go for the guy closer to a sure thing instead of taking a risk 

10 hours ago, Ducky said:

Didn't make the playoffs; thus, we don't have to give a 3rd instead of a 4th for Eakin (useless).

Really happy with Perfetti. It'll take a few years but he's a gooder. Looks to be a center.

Chevy will still be in the market for a center although D is more pressing than center.

Jets have absolutely adjudged C to be the most pressing need as that is who they are looking to move Laine for. If this is your opinion, sure, but all reports are to the contrary. I could link 100 neutral sources but you seem to love Winnipeg media best so here is one of our local papers: 

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets/despite-obvious-needs-jets-gm-cheveldayoff-says-team-will-stick-to-philosophy-of-drafting-best-player-available-in-first-round

"It’s pretty obvious that the Winnipeg Jets have an organizational need at the centre position.

It’s one of the prime reasons why they are talking about trading an elite winger and/or making a splash in free agency."

As for Perfetti, he'll probably end up on W. That's what most in the know think. C is a possibility definitely but I wouldn't count on it. I would have gone with the surefire C in Lundell if I was Winnipeg but as I said, can't go wrong with Perfetti at 10.

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Jets have absolutely adjudged C to be the most pressing need as that is who they are looking to move Laine for. If this is your opinion, sure, but all reports are to the contrary. I could link 100 neutral sources but you seem to love Winnipeg media best so here is one of our local papers: 

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets/despite-obvious-needs-jets-gm-cheveldayoff-says-team-will-stick-to-philosophy-of-drafting-best-player-available-in-first-round

"It’s pretty obvious that the Winnipeg Jets have an organizational need at the centre position.

It’s one of the prime reasons why they are talking about trading an elite winger and/or making a splash in free agency."

As for Perfetti, he'll probably end up on W. That's what most in the know think. C is a possibility definitely but I wouldn't count on it. I would have gone with the surefire C in Lundell if I was Winnipeg but as I said, can't go wrong with Perfetti at 10.

The Jets lost Buff, Trouba, Myers (their entire right side) and Chiarot and you don't think D is the priority? We had the worst left side in the league until we signed DeMelo last year. Also, Lundell is at a minimum more than one year away and he wouldn't start at 2C anyway. Lundell over Perfetti is laughable, very laughable.

I wouldn't open your link because of the Sun. Nothing but a bunch of hacks.

By the way, Winnipeg just shored up their D a bit by re-signing DeMelo. I expect another D added (not counting Boolow) and the 2C to be adressed after they find out about Little's situation. Chevy said they are getting info shortly. I expect Little to go on LTIR which kind of screws you because the ELC bonuses still count towards the cap and LTIR does not affect them.

Edited by Ducky

Just now, Ducky said:

The Jets lost Buff, Trouba, Myers (their entire right side) and Chiarot and you don't think D is the priority? Also, Lundell is at a minimum more than one year away and he wouldn't start at 2C anyway. Lundell over Perfetti is laughable, very laughable.

I wouldn't open your link because of the Sun. Nothing but a bunch of hacks.

By the way, Winnipeg just shored up their D a bit by re-signing DeMelo. I expect another D added (not counting Boolow) and the 2C to be adressed after they find out about Little's situation. Chevy said they are getting info shortly. I expect Little to go on LTIR which kind of screws you because the ELC bonuses still count towards the cap and LTIR does not affect them.

Have a good one Ducky. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don't quite agree with you on this.

Raymond at least equals Quinn’s two way play.  Raymond might be a better skater.  Raymond is far and away a better passer/playmaker.  Quinn is far and away a better goal scorer.  Size isn’t too different, Quinn slightly larger.

I realize it's a tougher league but Raymond scored 4 goals last year in 33 games with Frolunda. Against his peers he scored 8 in 31. Quinn scored 52 in 62.

And Quinn is a better puckhandler than some on here seem to realize.

Elite Prospects: "He's always manipulating opposing defencemen as a puck-carrier, baiting a response, and then threading the puck through the opening this sequence created. Quinn can get a ten-bell shot off on either foot, and he deploys a wide array of release points to ensure that the puck gets through any manner of situations.

This really stood out for me when I watched the tape.

His puck handling/carrying stood out to me too.  In addition to using it to get shots off, I think he could be a really good possession/cycler when he has full man strength.

I think Raymond is without a doubt a much better skater.  Quinn-average, Raymond-great

2 hours ago, etiennep99 said:

Touche'.   Kane is HHOF, no doubt.   Kucherov, Marner, & Pastrnak have had great starts.   But do they really compare to Howe, Jagr,  Kurri, Bossy, Mogilny, LaFleur, Hull, Garner, Selanne, Neely, ... even Gare, and Vaive ?     I know that it's hard to compare eras, but RW had more prominence then.   All things being equal, the centre wins.  And Rossi's stats were better than Quinn's.    I thought that we already had Reinhart, Tage, Cozens, (and Kahun, Olofsson, & Skinner) who can play RW.

I think they do compare to most of those players, and also it’s not as if all those players were in the league at the same time.

Just now, Curt said:

His puck handling/carrying stood out to me too.  In addition to using it to get shots off, I think he could be a really good possession/cycler when he has full man strength.

I think Raymond is without a doubt a much better skater.  Quinn-average, Raymond-great

I didn't see that and it wasn't what I read in most places. I did in a few though.

To me his agility looked good, but his straight-ahead speed and one-step quickness was unremarkable.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I remember last year when a lot of people were pulling for Cole Caufield to be the pick at 7.

Like Caufield, Jack Quinn is an elite goal scorer. Quinn is also a better prospect: bigger, better defensively, better forechecker, better puck carrier, better playmaker and a better line driver. He's a very good prospect.

Totally agree here.