Sabres, 8th overall pick: Jack Quinn

LGR4GM

22 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

I’m starting to warm up to this pick. Keep the positive aspects of this kid coming folks. 

He’s a good player,  the question becomes were there better players in Rossi and Perfetti available? 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Curt said:

BPA is trick because it depends on the evaluation criteria.  BPA in whose eyes?  I’m sure Buffalo thinks he was the BPA.

Ya, pretty much. No pick can ever be graded because we can only assume that those picking personally viewed the guy as the most talented in which case what could we possibly have asked of them? Pointless. 

Just now, Brawndo said:

It’s a good pick, the question becomes were there better players in Rossi and Perfetti available? 

No, it's a bad pick. And probably a good player. 

I'm starting to warm to the pick but in real time I was thinking the draft was going better than expected with not just Rossi but PERFETTI was still in play, I thought for sure if they didn't pick Rossi it would be Perfetti. Oh well, hopefully the kid is better than I would have drafted him. 

I haven't watched or heard his interview yet, only read some comments but he sounds like a confident guy.

Just now, Thorny said:

Ya, pretty much. No pick can ever be graded because we can only assume that those picking personally viewed the guy as the most talented in which case what could we possibly have asked of them? Pointless. 

We can still grade it, but that grade will just be our opinion.  Only thing that actually matters is how good this player ends up being.  That grade doesn’t come due for a while.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Crap, how did that autocorrect to from player to pick!? I edited it thanks for catching it 

Just now, Curt said:

We can still grade it, but that grade will just be our opinion.  Only thing that actually matters is how good this player ends up being.  That grade doesn’t come due for a while.

Right, that's what I mean. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I don't think people are saying Quinn is a byproduct of Rossi, merely that Rossi was the better player. 

A better player in the juniors but the guy is 5' 9"...how many centers are that size in the league?

How many #1 centers? I bet none.

I'm glad he wasn't there when the Jets picked to be honest.

Also shocked at how high Sanderson went.

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

I know absolutely nothing about hockey prospects. Probably somehow less than nothing.

Given how uncertain the development of these players is, I can’t get over how much unequivocal anger there is in this thread.

Sabre Derangement Syndrome?

The world is angry in 2020, my friends.  Like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

Also, this was a bad use of the 8th pick.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

BPA is tricky because it depends on the evaluation criteria.  BPA in whose eyes?  I’m sure Buffalo thinks he was the BPA.

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That it looks needs based is part of why it's such a bad pick. Again, it's all relative. He could be good. Selection right now looks pretty bad. There isn't going to be new information coming to light that has the potential to change that for years. 

If we think he's their 'BPA' the term is likely so loose as to be almost meaningless. Need factored in here. 

I've said for years that BPA is a misnomer because we have no idea what criteria goes into each teams list.  There is no such thing as a universal BPA except maybe the first couple of picks.  I am not a believer in BPA for those reasons.  However KA said he was going to take the BPA and this really doesn't seem like it.  Perfetti and Rossi are better hockey players based on the eye test and reading a variety of evaluations on legit independent sites like McKeens.  

I agree Quinn may become the RW sniper we have been longing for in our top 6.  Still, with Rossi and Perfetti on the board, this pick seems like a miss step. if this was our guy, it seems to me we could have traded down a place or two and still drafted him and added more assets.  This just feels like a missed opportunity.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Ducky said:

A better player in the juniors but the guy is 5' 9"...how many centers are that size in the league?

How many #1 centers? I bet none.

I'm glad he wasn't there when the Jets picked to be honest.

Also shocked at how high Sanderson went.

Ok Ducky. One of the best centres in the world bar none is 5'10 170. Is your argument that that one inch is the difference?

Actually, forget it. You are right, Rossi will underwhelm.

Edited by Thorny

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Well, up until he was about 15, Quinn was a 3 sport athlete and it was only in that 15-16 year that he focused in on hockey as what he wanted. I mention this because there's a chance he is still on that steep incline we see when prospects go from DY-1 to DY to DY+1

I put a lot of stock into this.  The kid hadn't necessarily decided where he was going or chose not specialize and I think that's a great thing to do.  He's clearly improved since he's been dedicated to hockey. 

22 minutes ago, Curt said:

Jack Quinn wears #22.  This is obviously the reason that Larsson won’t be returning.  Facts.

Other realer news.  Quinn sounds mature and confident in his post draft media Q & A.  Plus, I like his suit and his video chat background is cool and more professional than 42% of the Buffalo media members interviewing him.

Also, he thinks he might need one more year in juniors, if the team thinks so, but after that will definitely be NHL ready.

No one beats Byfield's style.

----------------

There's a 16U AA team in Rochester that has quite a few kids being scouted.  I'm waiting to see if they begin bolting to other programs but they seem to be staying together.  They just were invited to an elite tournament in New England somewhere.  It's not always the level they play, but who they play overall.  This team has crushed many AAA programs from around the Northeast.

I mean, it's not a huge reach, I like the other players and at this point I think I'm just going to see what happens.  

16 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I know absolutely nothing about hockey prospects. Probably somehow less than nothing.

Given how uncertain the development of these players is, I can’t get over how much unequivocal anger there is in this thread.

Sabre Derangement Syndrome?

Have you finished the thread? It's pretty positive on the guy

Also, there's a fair bit of certainty that Rossi is sooner ready for the NHL, that's something pretty concrete. As is the position they play, as are the consensus rankings which, for better or worse, people develop a lot of their views by reading. 

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

Craig Button lists Jack Quinn as one of his three first-round hockey crushes. This is decidedly different than saying something good about everyone at every slot.

I posted a list of the big outlets' rankings and Button's was the highest from the beginning. Had him at 7. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Ok Ducky. One of the best centres in the world bar none is 5'10 170. Is your argument that that one inch is the difference?

Actually, forget it. You are right, Rossi will underwhelm.

Worked a 14 hour shift today and brain isn't working...who are you talking about?

I've never been more excited to see a player fall into our lap...and then crash to see them pick the wrong guy.

Adams gets a D+ on day-1. He didn't get the F by trading 8 for Tyler Johnson or something, but this is probably the next worst thing.

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I read through it all — I saw a lot more outrage than positivity.

Perhaps it's a reflection of my personal leanings then- by the end of the thread I thought the general perception was, if anything, letting them off a little easy. I'm not "upset" about it I just think objectively it looks pretty whack. Operating under the assumption that people usually bump up their reactions when doing so in real time...kinda reads like expected.

Quinn by consensus wasn't really an "oh, I would have gone with the other guy but I get it" type selection, I honestly think it was pretty wild - and this is again informed by my thoughts on Rossi (and Perfetti, truthfully) and his general perception right now. That's just my view though. 

Edited by Thorny

8 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Worked a 14 hour shift today and brain isn't working...who are you talking about?

You must be happy with Perfetti. I don't know if he'll end up a C but I would have liked him at 8. Never mind 10. 

Never mind after making the playoffs. 

Good grief. 

😉🙃

Edited by Thorny

Maybe Quinn doesn't look like a drastic reach from 8, but eliteprospects had his consensus rank at 12, and Perfetti's was 6. That's a big jump. 6 to 12 is a big jump in consensus rankings. 

Edited by Thorny