Sabres, 8th overall pick: Jack Quinn

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Maybe I am not remembering correctly (it is late), but I thought that I read that Quinn and Rossi primarily played on different lines

Opposing teams target the top line (Rossi's), giving the second line (Quinn's) more chances to score.  Rossi is the reason their team was great, not Quinn.

• Like (+1) 1

The good, Quinn is a legit NHL prospect with NHL level tools. He can do a lot of things well and has a potential NHL future. His shot and 200ft game stand out and there is an outside chance that he is in the middle of a his dev curve as opposed to closer to the top. 

The bad, the Sabres didn't maximize the pick. Rossi has the highest ppg of any player in the last 10 years not named McDavid in the OHL. You don't pass up talent because of a hope and dream, you take the talent. Right now the Sabres need to Quinn's development curve to be the exception and that is worrisome. 

The ugly, because of what they did going into the future Quinn will always be compared to Rossi. If Rossi is better it will be ugly because this will be another in a long list of easy mistakes for a franchise that drafts in one of the dumbest ways possible. Look to Carolina and Tampa for how to draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

1. Prayers do get answered.  I prayed and prayed that Rossi would drop to the Sabres, and he did. But, never in my wildest dreams did I imagine them stupid enough to pass on Rossi.   (Like I wrote before, this is a Ric Seiling, Brad May flashback).

2. The 1980's want their RWs back.  The 2000's are a different era where RWs just are not the superstars that they once were.  Name one recent pure RW superstar.

3. Some comparisons:

Marcel Dionne >  Rossi / Briere > Derek Roy        ;   Rossi's floor is Derek Roy

LaFleur > Gare > Quinn > Goalofsson/Ray Sheppard?               ;   Quinn's floor might not even be a longterm solid NHL player.

4.  Eichel doesn't need any more wingers.  He already has 3!  in Skinner, Reinhart, & Olofsson!     Both Skinner & Goalofsson can play both wings well.

5. Many think that Mittelstadt is a bust and that Cozens projects better as a winger.

So how happy will Jack be without any secondary scoring?

6. Why aren't any of the media heads asking GMKA why the !@#$% he drafted Quinn over Rossi?

Drafting Quinn at #8 was such a total reach that smacks of total desperation.   

58 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

2. The 1980's want their RWs back.  The 2000's are a different era where RWs just are not the superstars that they once were.  Name one recent pure RW superstar.

Patrick Kane, Nikita Kucherov, Mitch Marner, David Pastrnak, Mark Stone...........

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

The overall does not like this pick at all. I read a comment of a scout that had seen him develop during a long time and he said that all his goals are missleading because of beeing on the same team as Rossi. 

But who knows, future will tell. He may be another Jeff Skinner. Cant create jack sh1t without jack. 

Family Time Reaction GIF by Lifetime

Well that is not what I read about him, most of his goals were of his own creation at 5vs5 and wasn't on same line as Rossi.

I wasn't happy about them not picking Rossi, mainly because he barely registered points the season before.   But apparently his 67's team was so stacked the year before he barely got playing time.   

I mean he was the 11th ranked prospect and we got him at 8.    I thought sanderson was more of a reach than our pick.

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

Patrick Kane, Nikita Kucherov, Mitch Marner, David Pastrnak, Mark Stone...........

I think he has a chance to become this.

37 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Well that is not what I read about him, most of his goals were of his own creation at 5vs5 and wasn't on same line as Rossi.

I wasn't happy about them not picking Rossi, mainly because he barely registered points the season before.   But apparently his 67's team was so stacked the year before he barely got playing time.   

I mean he was the 11th ranked prospect and we got him at 8.    I thought sanderson was more of a reach than our pick.

I think he has a chance to become this.

I can find his even strength ice time. In 2019 he logged 12.97 minutes of even strength ice time. 1.681p1/E60 (primary points per 60 minutes of even strength ice time)

2020 he was at 20.85 ev/toi and 3.435 p1/E60

Edited by LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Overager and 3 months until season starts, if he can work out a bit is there a shot he makes the team?  I think that goes for the entire top 15 in this draft.  

Reduced cap and all might make teams go young faster.

Yes, there is a shot. Hard to know what he physically is like currently but my other concern is that if they want to start Cozens at wing, there isn't a spot to play Quinn. If they really wanted they could do veteran - Cozens - Quinn as a line. 

Quinn's TOI last year explains his numbers to a large degree but he also didn't earn more ice time. 

This year he clearly jumped up a level but can he do that again or can he sustain what he did? Quinn could be a great player in the line of Pastrnak but there are a lot of question marks.

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

People need to remember Allen was the exception not the rule. 

I'm not endorsing anything - but I do find it very interesting that the explanations for the picks are similar to one another, to me, at least.

Also, it's a little oranges-apples. Josh Allen was picked to play what is arguably the most difficult position in pro sports. 

Another thought: It's not crazy to wager on character and athletic upside. Not crazy at all, I'd say. You gotta accurately perceive both, of course.

• Like (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Ha - Wow - the Allen comparisons are spot on, insofar as the Pegulas’ thinking goes.

Five people in the room.

Two of them Pegulas.

Kevyn,... I really hope that you are a hockey genius.

• Like (+1) 2

I just finished reading Pronman's notes on Quinn, Rossi and Perfetti and I think I have a better understanding on why the Sabres took Quinn over Rossi and Perfetti.  I don't agree with the decision, but I can understand why.  As to Rossi, Pronman's description makes me think of a smaller version of Reinhart.  Aka a nice player, but no real star potential.  Perfetti, the complaint seems that he lacks high end skating according to Pronman.  Thus is Rossi if smaller Reinhart and Perfetti lacks good wheels, I can understand why they went for the guy with an elite skill at a position of need.  

I’m going to add this.  I think any criticism given to Buffalo for picking Quinn, should also equally be given to NJ for picking Holtz.  I don’t see a big difference between the two picks in terms of value at the draft slot and players passed up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I just finished reading Pronman's notes on Quinn, Rossi and Perfetti and I think I have a better understanding on why the Sabres took Quinn over Rossi and Perfetti.  I don't agree with the decision, but I can understand why.  As to Rossi, Pronman's description makes me think of a smaller version of Reinhart.  Aka a nice player, but no real star potential.  Perfetti, the complaint seems that he lacks high end skating according to Pronman.  Thus is Rossi if smaller Reinhart and Perfetti lacks good wheels, I can understand why they went for the guy with an elite skill at a position of need.  

Perfetti I question his commitment to all areas of the game.  Skating needs work and he mostly avoids physical play, defense is meh.  He has skills, likes goals and everything else seems like an afterthought for him.