GDT Bruins at Sabres 12/27/19 7pm MSG WGR

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Sabres need to go into a season where it’s solely about winning, and not at all about “the process”. 

I am a fan of culture and the process.  I’m just not sure what it is in the NHL.   We see Tre White dancing, Shaq and Jordan Phillips hamming it up, Allen flexing, Oliver lighting the place up with his smile, Gore mentoring ...  Duke Williams GRATEFUL to be here.  Kids from Louisiana get comfortable and gel more quickly in Buffalo than kids from Ontario or Minnesota.  How does that happen?  Think you could get into a tustle with a Bill and not have 49 rabid dogs on top of you?  It doesn’t have to be fights ..  but it does have to be a feeling.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Neo said:

I am a fan of culture and the process.  I’m just not sure what it is in the NHL.   We see Tre White dancing, Shaq and Jordan Phillips hamming it up, Allen flexing, Oliver lighting the place up with his smile, Gore mentoring ...  Duke Williams GRATEFUL to be here.  Kids from Louisiana get comfortable and gel more quickly in Buffalo than kids from Ontario or Minnesota.  How does that happen?  Think you could get into a tustle with a Bill and not have 49 rabid dogs on top of you?  It doesn’t have to be fights ..  but it does have to be a feeling.

You just described McDermott and Beane building a family and creating a culture.  

The Sabres of the 70’s and 80’s had that too. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

This dogma of "actual talent" is a fallacy based on Sam's draft position imho. He's shown nothing in the form of killer instincts, and I mean, nothing.

Confusing talent with drive, motivation, going 100% on the ice 100% of the time is what is leaving this team well to the bottom of the standings.

Pimlach is correct, the culture needs to be "your in Buffalo, ***** or we'll pull you off the pot and replace you with someone who will".

Reinhart doesn't have what is needed here in Buffalo, once again, imho.

Reinhart has talent.  He's a 60-65 point player with consistency issues.  Put him on a team with three NHL quality lines, where players could be better mixed and matched during slumps, and he could be an 80 point player. 

Dumping Reinhart won't help the culture, just like dumping Kane and O'Reilly didn't improve the culture.  It just led to less-talented players losing more hockey games.  Losing more hockey games is a good way to kill culture.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Neo said:

I'm not completely sold on the Bills (especially with their schedule) and living through the 90s I reserve the right not to do so but it sure as hell seems that the Bills have something positive going on and the Sabres do not.  All I want is this team to play as a team and to work hard but I'm not seeing either from the games I've watched.  

Edited by Indabuff
Tre is awesome
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

I'm not completely sold on the Bills (especially with their schedule) and living through the 90s I reserve the right not to do so but it sure as hell seems that the Bills have something positive going on and the Sabres do not.  All I want is this team to play as a team and to work hard but I'm not seeing either from the games I've watched.  

I know what you mean. The Bills still have somewhat limited talent, and the coach still makes weird decisions in game. Sureb their schedule was weak, but they've taken advantage of the opportunities they've gotten over the last 3 years, which shows that theyre at least somewhat competent.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Hmmmm...okay so I'll say that the Sabres kept the play in the offensive zone that PP and that they moved instead of stood around.  However, that round and round movement looked more like Ice Capades vs. being a coordinated attack.  Trying to find something to feel good about, but that's all I can come up with.

None of their shots made it to the goalie.  There is no way you score like that. 

4 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Reinhart has talent.  He's a 60-65 point player with consistency issues.  Put him on a team with three NHL quality lines, where players could be better mixed and matched during slumps, and he could be an 80 point player. 

Dumping Reinhart won't help the culture, just like dumping Kane and O'Reilly didn't improve the culture.  It just led to less-talented players losing more hockey games.  Losing more hockey games is a good way to kill culture.

The culture of this organization was dead long before Kane or ROR were here to begin with. Their presence made 0 difference in it, that fact is bore out in the teams record while they were here. They are a red herring in my opinion, to a much larger problem, a problem that was here before Pegula bought the team imho. The Sabres weren't exactly tearing up the league before him either, he's just magnified the problem to it's lowest common denominator. Whether Reinhart stays or goes won't be relevant to fixing this mess, once again, imho. As I stated above, he doesn't have the killer instinct, the drive, and quite frankly, the talent to alter anything significantly here.

And while it is true he may very well do much better in the right roster surroundings, the fact remains, the Sabres aren't going to get that surroundings without moving some pieces just like Sam to get there, imo. Mind you, I'm not a Reinhart hater, I'm just not a fan. To me, he's a Meh player, nothing more, nothing less. Very replaceable imo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.