GDT Bruins at Sabres 12/27/19 7pm MSG WGR

Brawndo

18 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Any player who comes to Boston knows this is the expectation and culture of being a Bruin.  You assimilate or don't play.  I am not ashamed to say I do envy that and wish Buffalo had it's own identity after 50 years....at least one that I can get behind.

Buffalo had a high standard set as well.  We lost it when Regier preached “the game has changed”.  We never bothered to reload with May/Ray/Barnaby type of players.  Even if everyone played a notch lower, we never replaced those kind of guys.  

As I type Bergeron and Marchand score - AGAIN IN THE LAST SECONDS OF A PERIOD.  

MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY SOFT. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Neo said:

Sam’s got 30 pts in 38 games, more than respectable.  I’d like to see him find a next level.  He’s been on the cusp, it seams to me, for a year and a half.  I’m ready, Sam.  

Not gonna happen. If he had it in him, he'd of shown it by now imo.

He'd make a great trade piece however. Because honestly, this team still needs a complete over-haul save 2 to 4 roster players.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Pimlach said:

Buffalo had a high standard set as well.  We lost it when Regier preached “the game has changed”.  We never bothered to reload with May/aRay/Barnaby type of players.  Even if everyone played a notch lower, we never replaced those kind of guys.  

As I type Bergeron and Marchand score AGAIN IN THE LAST SECONDS OF A PERIOD.  

The troubling thing about all this is where do we go from here?  We have little in the minors, and nothing much of trade value.  We need two centers and another top 6 plus a goalie.  Are we 2-3 years out yet?  We just might be.  The drought could easily go 10 years now... wow!  Still.... STILL no real progress outside of Jack.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Buffalo had a high standard set as well.  We lost it when Regier preached “the game has changed”.  We never bothered to reload with May/Ray/Barnaby type of players.  Even if everyone played a notch lower, we never replaced those kind of guys.  

That was a beloved team.   

1 minute ago, Claude Balls said:

I can't ***** stand the Bruins. I don't think Buffalo is scoring tonight. They're going against a backup goalie who is better than anyone the Sabres have. This team is ruining hockey for me.

Just remember, it's not the team, it's the ownership/management that is the problem. They put this crap on the ice, for the better part of 5 years + now. They are that bad unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Neo said:

Sam’s got 30 pts in 38 games, more than respectable.  I’d like to see him find a next level.  He’s been on the cusp, it seams to me, for a year and a half.  I’m ready, Sam.  

I’m tired of Sam.  Ok, I know he is more talented than most of the players we have but I don’t see him helping to turn this mess around.   

If he was sent out in a blockbuster trade were we get a real NHL 2C, not a prospect or a Johansson stop gap, I would be ok with it. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yes....and sad to say that  I think you accurately captured what the rest of the league feels is the modern Sabres' culture "MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY SOFT".  That is the only image that consistently applies to this team over the last decade.

• Like (+1) 1

Who are the Pegulas?  The Bills or Sabres?   I believe they want JBot and RaKru to be Beane and McDermott, obviously.  It’s just harder in hockey.  The draft is different, free agency’s different, etc.  Maybe, a Beane/McDermott approach doesn’t work in the NHL.

Musings and questions ...  I’ll be valuable when I have answers.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The troubling thing about all this is where do we go from here?  We have little in the minors, and nothing much of trade value.  We need two centers and another top 6 plus a goalie.  Are we 2-3 years out yet?  We just might be.  The drought could easily go 10 years now... wow!  Still.... STILL no real progress outside of Jack.  

You hire a GM like Punch.  He was in the same boat, maybe even worse.  Make lots of small deals until you get better players or players that care. Either kind of player would help.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Pimlach said:

I’m tired of Sam.  Ok, I know he is more talented than most of the players we have but I don’t see him helping to turn this mess around.   

If he was sent out in a blockbuster trade were we get a real NHL 2C, not a prospect or a Johansson stop gap, I would be ok with it. 

That's basically the narrative that led to Kane's and O'Reilly's exit from the team, and getting rid of them helped nothing.

How about giving the players with some actual talent a break while the idiot GM continues to load up the roster with trash.  Dump the GM before dumping anymore talent, and try to find an actual GM who can build around guys who have actually showed the ability to score.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SwampD said:

For that matter, whatever happened to getting any kind of any sort of traffic in front of a goalie? This team sucks.

Unfortunately, we have too many guys who are not willing to pay the price to win.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jad1 said:

That's basically the narrative that led to Kane's and O'Reilly's exit from the team, and getting rid of them helped nothing.

How about giving the players with some actual talent a break while the idiot GM continues to load up the roster with trash.  Dump the GM before dumping anymore talent, and try to find an actual GM who can build around guys who have actually showed the ability to score.

This dogma of "actual talent" is a fallacy based on Sam's draft position imho. He's shown nothing in the form of killer instincts, and I mean, nothing.

Confusing talent with drive, motivation, going 100% on the ice 100% of the time is what is leaving this team well to the bottom of the standings.

Pimlach is correct, the culture needs to be "your in Buffalo, ***** or we'll pull you off the pot and replace you with someone who will".

Reinhart doesn't have what is needed here in Buffalo, once again, imho.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Neo said:

Who are the Pegulas?  The Bills or Sabres?   I believe they want JBot and RaKru to be Beane and McDermott, obviously.  It’s just harder in hockey.  The draft is different, free agency’s different, etc.  Maybe, a Beane/McDermott approach doesn’t work in the NHL.

Sabres need to go into a season where their mindset is solely about winning, and not at all about “the process”. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You hire a GM like Punch.  He was in the same boat, maybe even worse.  Make lots of small deals until you get better players or players that care. Either kind of player would help.  

Yes....and I would add that I think this applies to scouting and drafting as well.  IMHO, it is not hard to identify a player that "cares" quality in draft prospects.  It may be harder to predict if their talent will succeed at the NHL level, but I wish I felt better about this organizations ability to draft kids who are already wired with a whatever-it-takes attitude vs. hoping they will develop it.

1 minute ago, Neo said:

It’s harder in hockey for sure.   Beane’s  performance  is far superior to JBot so far.  Beane cleaned house, took calculated risks, and made some great moves.  JBot shops at Goodwill. He wasted his best trade resource  in ROR.  

Ralph needs 3 years, they are already playing better than Housley’s team ever did.  I wish he cared more about the physical part if the game.  He reminds me of a coach that will win in the regular season but not in the playoffs.   

McDermott is fantastic IMO.  Most impressive of the four.  Made the playoffs in a rebuild year, then won 6 with a terrible team around a rookie QB.  Now he has them close to the AFC upper their.  

Grades

McD - A

Beane - B+

RK - C+

JBot - D- 

10 minutes ago, jad1 said:

I doubt Kane would have stayed but Ok.  I’ll take that deal.  Fire the GM please. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.