GDT Bruins at Sabres 12/27/19 7pm MSG WGR

Brawndo

44 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Just remember, it's not the team, it's the ownership/management that is the problem. They put this crap on the ice, for the better part of 5 years + now. They are that bad unfortunately.

It still is the team.  The team is the entire entity, including the coaches and the FO.  

Three days of rest, fresh off a bad loss to Ottawa, at home with their fancy jerseys on — and this is what we get,  a 3-0 loss.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

It still is the team.  The team is the entire entity, including the coaches and the FO.  

Three days of rest, fresh off a bad loss to Ottawa, at home with their fancy jerseys on — and this is what we get,  a 3-0 loss.  

I disagree respectfully. The roster is a product of ownership/management. Not the other way around.

2 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Nice showing boys, a goose egg at home. 10 total goals in their last six games. Pathetic. JBot is useless.

They need to turn this around fast this year or it’ll be tough to be able to point to enough progress in 3 full years to justify JB remaining. 

Three years to get to 13th in the East? Ok. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

Well, I suspect we can save our breath's regarding putting Skinner back with Eichel for a while.  I think it's more like putting Skinner together with Tage making up the bad shoulder brigade.  Maybe between the two of them there are a couple of healthy shoulders combined.  

Does Ralph put Bogo back into the next game and they slide another defenseman up to wing?

Just now, Thorny said:

They need to turn this around fast this year or it’ll be tough to be able to point to enough progress in 3 full years to justify JB remaining. 

It's already to late. He had his opportunities in the off season to adjust the roster, he didn't do it.

He'll be here next season as well most likely. From a fans perspective, where we are sitting, at least myself and others I speak with, we are looking at 3 to 5 more years before true contention, and that is if they turn it around at all. I don't see Jack here at that time.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Scottysabres said:

The culture of this organization was dead long before Kane or ROR were here to begin with. Their presence made 0 difference in it, that fact is bore out in the teams record while they were here. They are a red herring in my opinion, to a much larger problem, a problem that was here before Pegula bought the team imho. The Sabres weren't exactly tearing up the league before him either, he's just magnified the problem to it's lowest common denominator. Whether Reinhart stays or goes won't be relevant to fixing this mess, once again, imho. As I stated above, he doesn't have the killer instinct, the drive, and quite frankly, the talent to alter anything significantly here.

And while it is true he may very well do much better in the right roster surroundings, the fact remains, the Sabres aren't going to get that surroundings without moving some pieces just like Sam to get there, imo. Mind you, I'm not a Reinhart hater, I'm just not a fan. To me, he's a Meh player, nothing more, nothing less. Very replaceable imo.

Except both Kane and O'Reilly  contributed to deep playoff pushes by their new teams.  So it seems weird to justify their exit by saying they're not leaders or set a poor example for the rest of the team.  If a guy you claim is a locker room cancer turns out to be the Conn Smythe winner, maybe he's not the cancer you claim he was.

The problem with this franchise under Pegula is that they don't value a player's on-ice contribution highly enough.  They accept excuses to run good players out of town (Kane, O'Reilly, even Lehner).  They don't hire GMs who know how to build an NHL roster (good drafting AND good trades).  They hire coaches who are weak on fundamentals (physical and mental -- Remember Ruff getting his players to play 'out of character').

As for needing to trade talent for talent, take a look at the best trades in the team's recent history.  Briere, Drury, Dumont, Hasek, and even Skinner were all acquired without breaking the bank.  You can make good trades that ADD to the core, instead of replacing the core.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Scottysabres said:

I disagree respectfully. The roster is a product of ownership/management. Not the other way around.

Ok.  I think the GM and coaches are completely responsible for the product on the ice (since we don’t have a Hockey  VP).   They are part of the team.   I trust the owner to provide resources and get out of the way. 

Coaches get fired all the time when the team goes bad.   I am not advocating to fire RK.  JBot has lost my confidence.  

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

What a sad game, I do appreciate the effort compared to some other games. 

The refs sucked, again, but we weren't winning either way, so I won't complain too much about them tonight. 

This team is a bottom 10 team again, with no future hope at the moment 

Judging by the recent play and trends, it sure looks like the Rangers and Senators will pass us this year.  We could be looking at bottom 6 if the lineup remains as is. 

3 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Except both Kane and O'Reilly  contributed to deep playoff pushes by their new teams.  So it seems weird to justify their exit by saying they're not leaders or set a poor example for the rest of the team.  If a guy you claim is a locker room cancer turns out to be the Conn Smythe winner, maybe he's not the cancer you claim he was.

The problem with this franchise under Pegula is that they don't value a player's on-ice contribution highly enough.  They accept excuses to run good players out of town (Kane, O'Reilly, even Lehner).  They don't hire GMs who know how to build an NHL roster (good drafting AND good trades).  They hire coaches who are weak on fundamentals (physical and mental -- Remember Ruff getting his players to play 'out of character').

As for needing to trade talent for talent, take a look at the best trades in the team's recent history.  Briere, Drury, Dumont, Hasek, and even Skinner were all acquired without breaking the bank.  You can make good trades that ADD to the core, instead of replacing the core.

I won't post on Kane or ROR save this, they went to teams with "Established Cultures". There were already expectations where they went. That is not the case here in Buffalo, and that, is a huge problem.

I do agree with your GM hiring assessment. The coaching one as well.

Once again, I'm not advocating trading Reinhart, I could care less if he stays or goes, but if he gets us a player or players that can make a larger impact, and I feel they can, I'm all for it. The turn around with this organization has to start both in the management system and on the ice, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Ok.  I think the GM and coaches are completely responsible for the product on the ice (since we don’t have a Hockey  VP).   They are part of the team.   I trust the owner to provide resources and get out of the way. 

Coaches get fired all the time when the team goes bad.   I am not advocating to fire RK.  JBot has lost my confidence.  

Yes...unfortunately we are right back in the same situation of being stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Nobody here is happy with the GM and we may be losing confidence in the coaching staff as well.  However, if we make yet another change to either, it feeds the perception that our ownership does not allow our GM and coaching enough time to succeed before firing them....which does not help in recruiting top management talent.

It would help if they would hire experienced talent with a proven track record so that we don't have to fire them (rookies) after two or three years of failure.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Judging by the recent play and trends, it sure looks like the Rangers and Senators will pass us this year.  We could be looking at bottom 6 if the lineup remains as is. 

"Keep up bad play for Lafreniere."  Too soon?

Edited by Tondas

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.