Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
matter2003

Rasmus Dahlin has been awesome at everything except...

Recommended Posts

Getting his shot through to the net.  In fact, for players with 10 or more attempted shots, Dahlin ranks dead last in the NHL at Thru%, the percentage of shots that he takes that make it on net at 10%.  Dahlin has taken 20 shots and with a thru percentage of 10%, that means only 2 of them have made it on net, and one of them was his partial breakaway goal against Pittsburgh, so that means only 1 of his other 19 shots have gotten through, which is simply abysmal.  In terms of players with 20+ shots, the next worst is Jake Muzzin at 25%.

Don't get me wrong, Dahlin is an all-world talent, but he HAS to get better at getting his shots through to the net, especially since he is on the top PP unit. Hopefully this is something they can work with him on, oftentimes it just looks like he tries to take the shot regardless of where the opposing player is, and doesn't try and alter either his shot or his positioning to make sure it doesn't get blocked.

Edited by matter2003

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if this partially due to teams being especially aware of him on the ice and him not having the experience yet with how to work around that. I know for one that if I was an NHL head coach I'd have a game plan to protect primarily against Skinner, Dahlin, and Eichel. He's only 19 and this along with his being susceptible to taking penalties and prone to being caught up in the emotion of the moment are his two biggest areas in need of improvement. 

 

I've been noticing that he seems to take alot of physical attention lately in the form of checks and just being hounded in general. I wonder if it's causing him to be less patient...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the weakness in the power play right now is if teams leave Dahlin open at the top of the triangle and force him to be the shooter.  he's doing very well distributing but his shot from long range leaves much to be desired at this point.  If I had to play the Sabres right now that's what I would do.  Squat on the shooters as much as I can, try to control Reinhart's stick and let Dahlin shoot as much as he wants but DON'T allow him to act like a pivot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not picking on this post, because it is relevant and interesting.

But I think we need to hold back on making too many conclusions based on a four game sample size.

Just a general observation.

Jimmy Vesey, the power play, Marcus Johansson, Kyle Okposo - these things so far are more likely outliers than proof of what’s to come.

Jack went from disappointing after three games to elite after four.

Sam Reinhart has been “lousy” in his past two games and is off to his best statistical start ever.

Risto is “better” with fewer points and a similar Corsi.

It’s a long season.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I think the weakness in the power play right now is if teams leave Dahlin open at the top of the triangle and force him to be the shooter.  he's doing very well distributing but his shot from long range leaves much to be desired at this point.  If I had to play the Sabres right now that's what I would do.  Squat on the shooters as much as I can, try to control Reinhart's stick and let Dahlin shoot as much as he wants but DON'T allow him to act like a pivot.

He's not supposed to shoot from there. He is supposed to draw out the high defender, pass it off to Eichel or Olofsson and then because he drew the high defender to him, it allows Eichel or Olofsson to make the cross ice pass and shot. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the pp Dahlin is not shooting to score when he does shoot. The primary job of his pp shot is to get a deflection or to cause chaos in front with a rebound. 

In todays NHL if a team thinks that the point shot is its best chance to score on the PP, that's living in the past. 

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Getting his shot through to the net.  In fact, for players with 10 or more attempted shots, Dahlin ranks dead last in the NHL at Thru%, the percentage of shots that he takes that make it on net at 10%.  Dahlin has taken 20 shots and with a thru percentage of 10%, that means only 2 of them have made it on net, and one of them was his partial breakaway goal against Pittsburgh, so that means only 1 of his other 19 shots have gotten through, which is simply abysmal.  In terms of players with 20+ shots, the next worst is Jake Muzzin at 25%.

Don't get me wrong, Dahlin is an all-world talent, but he HAS to get better at getting his shots through to the net, especially since he is on the top PP unit. Hopefully this is something they can work with him on, oftentimes it just looks like he tries to take the shot regardless of where the opposing player is, and doesn't try and alter either his shot or his positioning to make sure it doesn't get blocked.

My question about the stat is are we talking that he has attempted 20 shots and 18 have been blocked, in which case he needs to work on it. Or are we saying he took 20 shots and only 2 were on net in which case there is a combination of blocked and ? is he aiming for the net, for deflections, to get it behind the net? When we say only 1 of his 19 has gotten through what does that mean? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

On the pp Dahlin is not shooting to score when he does shoot. The primary job of his pp shot is to get a deflection or to cause chaos in front with a rebound. 

In todays NHL if a team thinks that the point shot is its best chance to score on the PP, that's living in the past. 

My question about the stat is are we talking that he has attempted 20 shots and 18 have been blocked, in which case he needs to work on it. Or are we saying he took 20 shots and only 2 were on net in which case there is a combination of blocked and ? is he aiming for the net, for deflections, to get it behind the net? When we say only 1 of his 19 has gotten through what does that mean? 

Are you questioning the ability of a "fancy stat" to tell the whole story? LOL....just kidding, I think. I have a way of doing that (thinking) and my TB4om % is at an all time low right now.

FYI.... TB4om is Thinking B4 opening mouth.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again
  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He sucks at experience and development. 

If only the GD kid was older and had experience. Then he’d really be something.

giphy.gif

 

😂

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

On the pp Dahlin is not shooting to score when he does shoot. The primary job of his pp shot is to get a deflection or to cause chaos in front with a rebound. 

In todays NHL if a team thinks that the point shot is its best chance to score on the PP, that's living in the past. 

My question about the stat is are we talking that he has attempted 20 shots and 18 have been blocked, in which case he needs to work on it. Or are we saying he took 20 shots and only 2 were on net in which case there is a combination of blocked and ? is he aiming for the net, for deflections, to get it behind the net? When we say only 1 of his 19 has gotten through what does that mean? 

17 were blocked, 1 was missed.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

17 were blocked, 1 was missed.

The ice is 80 feet wide and non Craig Ludwig shin pads are about a foot to a foot and half wide. There is room for improvement.

I am over simplifying it but there is a lot of traffic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Passing, shooting and decision making.  Do I win a prize?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would posit that because the Sabres are going to the net more, Dahlin doesn't have as clear lanes as he did last season.

 

image.thumb.png.bba6de12bb987f80eae96f7b9b6aab15.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.... being able to FF time and be 22 years old when he'll be the best defenseman in the NHL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of defenders look to just shoot to the open lane. Dahlin looks to pick a spot, and is being punished. If it’s being blocked close to the net and not at the point, this isn’t a bad thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

17 were blocked, 1 was missed.

Then I'd say young Dahlin has a problem to fix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, inkman said:

Passing, shooting and decision making.  Do I win a prize?

Satan of prizes is awaiting you.

Just not sure who sent it or where it is from.

😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I think the weakness in the power play right now is if teams leave Dahlin open at the top of the triangle and force him to be the shooter.  he's doing very well distributing but his shot from long range leaves much to be desired at this point.  If I had to play the Sabres right now that's what I would do.  Squat on the shooters as much as I can, try to control Reinhart's stick and let Dahlin shoot as much as he wants but DON'T allow him to act like a pivot.

If that's the case he can advance into the slot to create a tighter 3-2 situation.  With his edges and agility there won't be many PK forwards who will be able to close from wide coverage and take away his lane down the middle.  Either walk in and snipe or wait for a killing Dman to engage and pass to the player they abandon to defend him. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stu said:

If that's the case he can advance into the slot to create a tighter 3-2 situation.  With his edges and agility there won't be many PK forwards who will be able to close from wide coverage and take away his lane down the middle.  Either walk in and snipe or wait for a killing Dman to engage and pass to the player they abandon to defend him. 

 

This would be the poison I would choose. I want him shooting over eichel or olofsson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

This would be the poison I would choose. I want him shooting over eichel or olofsson

It’ll be interesting to see how teams play it if we continue the success. I could see opponents trying a high diamond and forcing Sam and Skinner to win down low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

This would be the poison I would choose. I want him shooting over eichel or olofsson

Really? Unless I'm misunderstanding... Jack and VO have much better shots

 

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

It’ll be interesting to see how teams play it if we continue the success. I could see opponents trying a high diamond and forcing Sam and Skinner to win down low.

That's the beauty of our PP. We can win every aspect of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

 

That's the beauty of our PP. We can win every aspect of it.

As long as we are able to control the puck entering the zone this should be a top unit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

Really? Unless I'm misunderstanding... Jack and VO have much better shots.

You are misunderstanding me. If I were DEFENDING I would rather have Dahlin shoot than either Eichel or Olofsson. Even if that meant Dahlin could walk into the slot almost unopposed.

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

You are misunderstanding me. If I were DEFENDING I would rather have Dahlin shoot than either Eichel or Olofsson. Even if that meant Dahlin could walk into the slot almost unopposed.

Interesting and may work until Dahlin finds his confidence... he has shown in the past he can score from high slot

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stu said:

As long as we are able to control the puck entering the zone this should be a top unit

This is another reason our PP works. Dahlin, Reinhart, Miller and Johansson are all good at this, and Eichel might be the best in the league.

On paper it is a very complete 1st unit, with a good 2nd unit.

They should be good, but it's crazy how deadly they've been. I'm curious to see what other teams start doing to stop them, because they will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...