Eleven

Around the NHL 2019-20

4 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Could it be that he voluntarily quit at the ideal time? Think about it.

Let's say you want out of a job (one where you hired some friends/acquaintances). You were publicly assured your job by the owner. The owner then comes to you and wants clean house including some of your hired. 

Knowing that your hired will be fired anyway, you refuse knowing you also will lose your job. 

It's perfect timing. After being assured by the boss your job was safe and then being fired for not wanting to put people out on the street, you put the onus on the owner all while appearing loyal to your friends.

You appear to be fired but secretly quit and only you know it , but some what save face. Especially with the people you may need in your next job.

Sure.  You also could be assigned to assassinate an African dictator on his yacht and decline--at the last minute--to do so.  As a result, you are shot in the back five times and float nearly to your death in the Atlantic.  An Italian fishing boat might pick you up and deliver you to a train station where you can get to Switzerland.  In Zurich, you discover a safe deposit box with lots of currency from many countries, various contact lenses, about ten different passports, and a gun.  Later, you meet a cute redhead who is willing to drive you to Paris for $20K.

Or, Botterill sucked.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Sure.  You also could be assigned to assassinate an African dictator on his yacht and decline--at the last minute--to do so.  As a result, you are shot in the back five times and float nearly to your death in the Atlantic.  An Italian fishing boat might pick you up and deliver you to a train station where you can get to Switzerland.  In Zurich, you discover a safe deposit box with lots of currency from many countries, various contact lenses, about ten different passports, and a gun.  Later, you meet a cute redhead who is willing to drive you to Paris for $20K.

Or, Botterill sucked.

I wasn't discounting his suckability.

Just that maybe he was seeing the writing on the wall (or on this board), wanted out but needed it to look better on himself and in the eyes of others. The timing was perfect. Why wait until your performance is the plot in the story.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I'm inclinded to agree with the point PA is making.  I think JBott was throttled by the Pegulas.  My gut feeling was that he was an implementer of Pegula decisions and not a maker of his own decisions.  We are leaving a trail of beaten and crushed GM's in the wake of this Pegula led team. I'm ready to believe that the bad decision making wasn't necessarily the GM choices.

I do not, for a second, believe that Pegula was behind the decisions to acquire Carter Hutton, Marcus Johansson, Brandon Montour, Jimmy Vesey, Henri Jokiharju, Miller, Michal Frolik, Sobotka, Berglund, Thompson, Mittelstadt, or that killer free agent class of 2017 over Botterill's better judgement.

I do, however, believe that he was behind the decision to trade Kane, and the deadline to trade O'Reilly, and was at least a strong cheerleader for the hiring of Housley and the acquisition of Sheary.

I also believe that many (most?) GMs deal with similar levels of input from their owners and succeed in spite of it.

Or, as my favourite Josie painting on here is fond of saying Botterill sucked.

• Haha (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Eleven said:

Same thing happened to me!

18 hours ago, Eleven said:

Or, Botterill sucked.

You got shot 5 times?  Most of us only catch 2.  They must REALLY have disliked you. 😉