Around the NHL Summer 2019

spndnchz

7 hours ago, Eleven said:

This is a great point.  At his age, and in his position, my phone calls would have been dad, lawyer/agent, GM, in that order, unless lawyer/agent wanted to handle the GM call (which is their function).

I dunno. I think a heads up phone call from the player would be a respectful gesture. But I’m not sure how I as the player would explain this so there’s that.

Carter Baum

@CarterBaum

· 5h

Your 3:30 a.m. CT #Blackhawks lines update from Berlin:

Nylander - Toews - Kane

Shaw - Strome - DeBrincat

Caggiula - Carpenter - Perlini

Saad - Kampf - Kubalik

Keith - Gustafsson

Maatta - Seabrook

Koekkoek - Dahlstom

Gilbert - de Haan

Wedin, Dach rotating in w/ Carpenter line

Edited by Weave

13 hours ago, Eleven said:

If Simmons thinks a former GTA police officer is going to have pull in Arpaio country, he needs his head examined.  OTOH...

Mostly.  It just isn't going to work with a former Canadian police officer and an incident in Arizona.  And I'm not sure about college sports; there are way too many stories, every year, about college athletes.  (And the "minor" college athletes, like volleyball players or gymnasts, or whatever, they're not going to get protection unless their name is Brock Turner.)

Well, my guess is that these guys all know each other for the teams and have each others backs.  So, when an Arizona player gets out of line in Toronto the favor gets returned.  I think it's quite reasonable to believe things like that happen.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Hawks putting him in the position where he is most likely to succeed, using his talent to piggyback off better players. He’s been given a real shot

From what I’ve been reading, he sounds like the Alex we know: showing tantalizing skill and leaving some wanting more.

Edited by dudacek

My concern with Matthews is not he got drunk and stupid. That can happen. But his thought seemed to be and main concern was how it was going to effect him personally rather than show any thought or concern for the person involved. The very next day had he gone to the person involved and acknowledged how foolish he was and ashamed sincerely apologized I suspect this would have not even be a issue today.  
This will be a non factor as the season progresses but it clear he will not be captain and shouldn’t be. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, millbank said:

My concern with Matthews is not he got drunk and stupid. That can happen. But his thought seemed to be and main concern was how it was going to effect him personally rather than show any thought or concern for the person involved. The very next day had he gone to the person involved and acknowledged how foolish he was and ashamed sincerely apologized I suspect this would have not even be a issue today.  
This will be a non factor as the season progresses but it clear he will not be captain and shouldn’t be. 

And being snubbed for the C will make him pout and he will be gone in 5 years when he hits UFA status.

Jets are lucky they have such a value deal with Scheifele, given how much big $ they have locked up in wingers. Their centre spine and D needs some help. 

Don't mind that AAV for Connor though. 

Edited by Thorny

Is Toronto sans Kadri less soft than us? 

Chicago surely is. Though they did just bring back Shaw I think.

Montreal? Weber is pretty tough. Other than that?

Vancouver? Edmonton? Detroit? Kronwall ain't there anymore.The Panthers did add Connolly, otherwise they'd be in the running.

Now that Gudas is gone, who is tough in Philly? 

Ottawa?

New Jersey? They did add Simmonds' corpse, I'm not sure what element of toughness he brings at this age.

Surely not Arizona or Carolina.

I don't think we're any less "tough" than the bulk of these teams.

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Definitely rooting for Kyle and Sam to have comparable (good) years so we can keep Sam's number around there. 

No wonder everybody wants Sam Reinhart on his own line.  That'll keep him in the 70's.  Playing with Eichel all year will have him in the 80's & EXPENSIVE. (No, you don't have to rerun all the analysis of how Sam & Jack don't click.  This year they will. ? )