Non Sabres Deadline Trades/Rumors

Brawndo

46 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Keeping if not keeping Teravainen had little to no impact on their record.

How about needlessly giving Seabrook a retirement contract when he was clearly in decline? 

Anyway, I think one factor you're not fully taking into account is the elimination of backdiving congrats. The Hawks benefitted greatly from Keith and Hossa on deals that are no longer possible. Maybe you're right that it ultimately won't matter a lot, but I don't think that book has been written yet. 

13 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Double check but it's true.  Guys got the big deals Year 8 under last CBA.  It's year 4 now.  Crosby entered the league in 2005 and the $8.7 mil deal was signed in 2012 (year 8).

1562050881_crosby1.thumb.JPG.84e98c5fd57ded931fbadca3ca0f97c5.JPGcrosby2.thumb.JPG.c543e156316b69f795bdeb8888d95435.JPG

Crosby actually did get a huge deal after his entry level.  The $8.7M  AAV on his third contract is same as his "bridge" deal.  But the bridge was big for 2008

Edited by Broken Ankles
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Double check but it's true.  Guys got the big deals Year 8 under last CBA.  It's year 4 now.  Crosby entered the league in 2005 and the $8.7 mil deal was signed in 2012 (year 8).

They got them immediately after their entry level deals not year 8. Even Kane and Toews got significant money after entry. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They got them immediately after their entry level deals not year 8. Even Kane and Toews got significant money after entry. 

$8.7M in 2008/09 after entry  level was 15% of the cap ($56.7m).   So shouldn't Toronto expect $12.6M for 5 years as acceptable? 

28 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Wow were they getting 15 percent of cap year 4.  My bad if true.  I'll have to look into this too but time is short right now.

Would be really cool to look at the cap percentage of stars second contract. 

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

36 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

$8.7M in 2008/09 after entry  level was 15% of the cap ($56.7m).   So shouldn't Toronto expect $12.6M for 5 years as acceptable? 

I've done this exercise before. You have to look at percentage of the cap at the time 

14 minutes ago, freester said:

Ecklund has Sabres going after Taylor Hall.  I know he's not a reliable source but Hall would be sweet.

Reliable source or not, at least it gives us something to talk about.  The lead up to the draft has been boring as a Sabres fan (unless one feels offering RFA's is exciting).  What could we give to get Hall?  #7, Risto, and Nylander?

14 minutes ago, freester said:

I would only give up a lot if we could extend him prior. Risto,  Nylander and next years 2nd rounder would be close. 

Change that 2nd rounder to this years 1st rounder #7 ... for Taylor Hall.... now it’s close. In the last three years (most current therefore most valid) he’s played 181 games and has 183 points. He’s a ppg producer. He’ll be 28 in November so I think he still has 4-5 solid years left in him before he starts to tail off. He can play C and LW.

Losing Hall is gonna hurt the Devils big time. So getting Hall is gonna hurt big time.

9 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I cannot recall, but when Botterill was involved in trades, was there any leaks about possible talks or contact with the trade partner before the trade took place?

To a degree with ROR and months beforehand with Skinner, though I don't recall much of anything in the weeks before the Skinner trade actually happened. 

Scandella and Sheary, IIRC, were completely out of nowhere.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I cannot recall, but when Botterill was involved in trades, was there any leaks about possible talks or contact with the trade partner before the trade took place?

Not until close to the last minute.  He appears to be very picky about that.

I wonder if he has Darcy's attitude that deals can be called off if someone leaks...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

To a degree with ROR and months beforehand with Skinner, though I don't recall much of anything in the weeks before the Skinner trade actually happened. 

Scandella and Sheary, IIRC, were completely out of nowhere.

Well, not sure just how connected Yerdon is, but he seems to say tomorrow is going to be fun. Not sure if he means just drafting, or some pre or during draft moves.

EDIT: And on a side note, I really can't embed worth a dam. Never seems to work for me. I need embedding classes ?

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 2

From LeBrun

• There continues to be interest from the Sabres in Rangers forward Jimmy Vesey but I also think Buffalo is looking at other options and wants to make sure it fully investigates the trade market this weekend for top-six forwards before pulling the trigger.

Just now, Brawndo said:

From LeBrun

So that sounds pretty much like there is a deal in principle if one of the parties doesn’t change its mind because of another deal they’re chasing. When was the last time the Sabres acquired a player the fans disliked as much as Vesey?

1 minute ago, jahnyc said:

I really do not understand this interest in Vesey.  I do not think he is a top six forward and we all know that he did not want to sign here after we traded for his rights.  Makes no sense to me.

Oh man this.  Are we looking at vesey as a top 6 option??  He has maxed out at 35 friggen points over the last three full seasons.  Maybe I’ll take him for bottom 6 but if botts is getting him for second line I will start to worry.

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Vesey would earn Jason another thumbs down from me

There is a rumour that Kreider is going out too.  Maybe they are attached?  If so, what's the cost?

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So that sounds pretty much like there is a deal in principle if one of the parties doesn’t change its mind because of another deal they’re chasing. When was the last time the Sabres acquired a player the fans disliked as much as Vesey?

Cody Hodgson?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.