Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'll never understand the Darnold hype. That said, our defense is 100% the real deal. He's not going to be the last QB we stifle this year. 

Anyway, I saw precisely 0 of the game because I was in the worst traffic of all time coming back from Chicago. Took nearly 3 hours longer than it should have because of obscene construction in Indiana. Frustrating to say the least. But hey, 1-0 with two very winnable games on the docket. I'll take it. 

I wish you could have seen it and I could have seen your reaction to the Bills calling pass plays on the first 18 plays of the game (some of them w ereAllen changing at the line when the Jets loaded the box). And they moved the ball those drives too, before turnovers each time. 

Yet to be seen if the Bills are good, but the Bills are different, and Daboll is, at the very least, interesting.

18 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Darren Sproles and Vernon Davis making plays against each other in the same game today, what decade is this?

The last one...where Desean Jackson was smoking fools multiple times a game with deep routes.

16 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

The Mosley injury was huuuuge. It probably doesn't happen without that. Two Bills Drive was quite accurate in describing the middle of the Jets' defense as stupid good compared to the outsides

Agreed on Mosley. I am genuinely unsure if the Bills win that game if he doesn't blow his groin on that pass defense in the end zone (in which he made a fantastic play).

14 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'll never understand the Darnold hype. That said, our defense is 100% the real deal. He's not going to be the last QB we stifle this year.  

Darnold's floor is, what, Andy Dalton? I have no idea what his ceiling is. Scouts love a sure thing. And, yes, the Bills D is good.

14 hours ago, nfreeman said:

- John Brown might be the best FA that McD/BB have brought in.  I think Hyde is the only one close.

A lil recency bias, maybe. Hyde has been amazing. J Brown has work to do to supplant him as the best FA addition.

Allen was pretty bad yesterday. 4 turnovers, should have been 6 except for a penalty and a drop. You can blame Beasley for that first INT, but that ball was low and nearly uncatchable anyways. He rarely hit a receiver in stride; even the TD to brown was behind him. The late near pick by the endzone was either late or behind the wideout as well.

The Defense is great, they're better on the O-Line and at the skill positions; I'm worried Allen will be what holds back an otherwise decent team.

45 minutes ago, sabills said:

Allen was pretty bad yesterday. 4 turnovers, should have been 6 except for a penalty and a drop. You can blame Beasley for that first INT, but that ball was low and nearly uncatchable anyways. He rarely hit a receiver in stride; even the TD to brown was behind him. The late near pick by the endzone was either late or behind the wideout as well.

The Defense is great, they're better on the O-Line and at the skill positions; I'm worried Allen will be what holds back an otherwise decent team.

Beasley is supposed to catch that ball and especially is not supposed to bump it volleyball style.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Beasley is supposed to catch that ball and especially is not supposed to bump it volleyball style.

Agreed, but its still a bad throw:

image.thumb.png.e494464f6e5a2d5d40ee70d0ce095b60.png

image.thumb.png.db4427eab3cfcd1aaa190bcb5a8ba086.png

Beasly is wiiide open there, and Allen puts it in the dirt from 10 yards away with little pressure on him..

Edited by sabills

8 hours ago, ubkev said:

The last one...where Desean Jackson was smoking fools multiple times a game with deep routes.

I was out during the Eagles game and could only see the TV across a restaurant; I saw #10 on the Eagles smoking people and thought to myself, "I remember when DeShawn Jackson used to do that, I wonder who it is now."

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, sabills said:

Agreed, but its still a bad throw:

Beasly is wiiide open there, and Allen puts it in the dirt from 10 yards away with little pressure on him..

From what I saw, Allen remains a significantly flawed, highly athletic QB who has ... how you say ... moxie. That sort of signal caller is probably enough to get a team 7-8 wins (maybe 9) provided the D is excellent. He needs to improve, and improve a lot, if he's going to be an entrenched QB capable of leading a team to 10+ win seasons.

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

From what I saw, Allen remains a significantly flawed, highly athletic QB who has ... how you say ... moxie. That sort of signal caller is probably enough to get a team 7-8 wins (maybe 9) provided the D is excellent. He needs to improve, and improve a lot, if he's going to be an entrenched QB capable of leading a team to 10+ win seasons.

Ayup. I think he's Ryan Fitzpatrick with a better draft position and a less impressive Alma Mater.

27 minutes ago, sabills said:

Ayup. I think he's Ryan Fitzpatrick with a better draft position and a less impressive Alma Mater.

Hoo man, I think that's not a fit. Allen is a big fella with excellent athleticism and superior arm talent. Fitzmagic is a more normal sized guy with slightly better than average athleticism (for an NFL QB) and a less than average arm.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sabills said:

I completely disagree, I thought Allen was pretty good. That ball to Beasley was thrown exactly where it should be to avoid turnovers in that situation - low. And it hit Cole in the hands. Brady threw a pass to a receiver running the same route last night, only with a defender draped all over him, and he threw it harder. At the same height. Brady's receiver caught the ball. The deflection? We deflected FIVE of Darnold's passes at the line and they all fell harmlessly to the turf. Allen's lone deflection hit Jets hands. That happens to all QBs every game, and sometimes the result is unlucky. Usually it's not. Fumble #2 never touched his hands, Morse never got it up to them. Fumble #1 shouldn't happen, but Dawkins got blown up on his blind side, so whatever. He'll learn, but tell me a QB that doesn't get strip sacked from the blind side on occasion. 

The other two bad throws are the kind of thing that you definitely don't want your QB to make, but when you watch real football games with real QBs, you realize that throws like that happen every game whether you're Rodgers or Allen. They fall into the regime of being so zoned in and hyperfocused on every single Allen decision and ball placement that every bad instance of those looks like the worst and unacceptable, proving all of the draft worriers correct, which I am completely guilty of. But I watched about 10 other games yesterday, and every QB I watched made two equally bad decisions yesterday, from Wilson and Roethlisberger to the worst QBs playing. (The GOAT didn't make two bad decisions I guess, but he's the GOAT.) Some of them made more than that. And Dak Prescott was brilliant yesterday, and when he hit his WIDE open TE down the seam for the touchdown and the TE had to completely pivot his hips to the other side/reverse direction while running to catch the ball, a maneuver that could have easily made him drop it or trip, before scoring - my first thought was, forget about other Bills fans, IIIII would have been disappointed had Allen made that throw. There surely would have been talks here and elsewhere about accuracy if it was Allen. But that's NFL football, man. That's what it looks like. So is the attempted score when down 3 scores on 3rd down that almost got picked. EVERY QB is guilty of stuff like that, and every QB gets lucky. Allen was an NFL QB yesterday. 

Allen has thrown bad picks from bad decisions plenty of time, thinking of those times he rolled out and ran right while throwing across his body. That's a lot different from batted balls and Beasley being a dolt. Allen made two bad decisions on almost 40 dropbacks, and executed a fourth quarter comeback down three scores, with his arm, from the pocket. His day wasn't perfect, but it was impressive. And if you make an effort to watch his game yesterday without letting the narratives from his pre/post draft drive how you see every pass, like I've been making a concerted effort to ditch as someone who exploded with rage when we drafted him, it was a pretty damn hopeful game. The guy was freaking accurate yesterday, and he threw dimes with various amounts of touch as the pocket was closing in on him a bunch of times. He was incapable of that last year, and did it in his 12th start. It was incredibly encouraging.

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1