Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

15 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I think it's really just a product of the purpose of the message board. The same way this board bashes the bills and is optimistic about the Sabres every year, I see the exact opposite on TBD, where you will get pounced on if your criticism of the team goes above John Murphy levels and the Sabres are regularly the butt end of jokes. 

And people don't like McDermott because he appears conservative/old-school, and they're worried about Allen's accuracy on short/intermediate routes. 

This is the crux of it for me. I'll start to believe when McDermott shows me he knows what decade of football he's coaching in (this includes improved game management) and when Allen throws for more than *checks notes* 1 TD per start. I think the defense is going to be too good to prevent any kind of truly disastrous season, but I won't believe in anything offensively until I see it. 

7 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

This is the crux of it for me. I'll start to believe when McDermott shows me he knows what decade of football he's coaching in (this includes improved game management) and when Allen throws for more than *checks notes* 1 TD per start. I think the defense is going to be too good to prevent any kind of truly disastrous season, but I won't believe in anything offensively until I see it. 

What do you make of Seattle? They run the ball a funk ton.

Less so of interest (because I think their QB skewed the stat), but also same question re Baltimore.

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Less so of interest (because I think their QB skewed the stat), but also same question re Baltimore.

New England had the third most rushing attempts in the league last year.

14 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Russell Wilson is an elite QB. 

As for Baltimore, I think Jackson is a better passer than Allen. But the team certainly has similar concerns. 

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

So? We all know that team lives and dies with Brady's arm and Belichick's ability to adapt to his roster's talent. 

24 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Seattle is one of the dumbest teams in the NFL. They have Russell Wilson, they should be throwing the ball a lot more. 

6 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

As for Baltimore, I think Jackson is a better passer than Allen. But the team certainly has similar concerns. 

So? We all know that team lives and dies with Brady's arm and Belichick's ability to adapt to his roster's talent. 

Sony Michel 

9 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The Patriots still had 54% of their plays be passing plays. 

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Sony Michel 

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

It's a pretty steep drop-off from B-more and Seattle, though.

Also, it seems more than fair to say that the team uses the pass to open up the run.

48 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's interesting. The Seahawks were dead last in passes attempted last season, but they were 5th or 6th (not sure, tbh) in passing TD's.

40 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The Patriots still had 54% of their plays be passing plays. 

Right. And I wonder if part of their rushing attempt # is a function of how much offence they're able to run. They finished 2nd in total # of plays run on O last season.

Fwiw, they were 11th in passing attempts.

Balanced.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

It's a pretty steep drop-off from B-more and Seattle, though.

Also, it seems more than fair to say that the team uses the pass to open up the run.

It's interesting. The Seahawks were dead last in passes attempted last season, but they were 5th or 6th (not sure, tbh) in passing TD's.

Right. And I wonder if part of their rushing attempt # is a function of how much offence they're able to run. They finished 2nd in total # of plays run on O last season.

Fwiw, they were 11th in passing attempts.

Balanced.

Seattle has bad offensive coaching. 

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'll ignore the Sabre side of the earlier argument for now.  But even without specifics like this, the Bills have made the playoffs once over a 20 year span (or maybe it's twice, whatever).  It's completely reasonable for people to be skeptical after so much time.  Fool me once, shame on me.  How does the saying go when it gets up to "fool me 18 times"?

18 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

And people don't like McDermott because he appears conservative/old-school, and they're worried about Allen's accuracy on short/intermediate routes. 

This is my issue. McDermott still references the weather when talking about things and it is the dumbest thing he ever says. You might play 2 games a year in Buffalo in true inclement weather. 

Allen's accuracy is also a big question. These 2 things are going to make or break this team. Is McDermott actually up to date on how the game is in 2019? Can Allen complete short passes to keep the offense on the field? 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Seattle has bad offensive coaching. 

I'd have no way of knowing. 8th in points scored last year, lower mid-pack in yards, and tops in fewest turnovers. That sounds not ungood?

45 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Guaranteed money, or GTFO with your updates, Florio.

12 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'd have no way of knowing. 8th in points scored last year, lower mid-pack in yards, and tops in fewest turnovers. That sounds not ungood?

Guaranteed money, or GTFO with your updates, Florio.

They have an elite QB and run the ball instead. They aren't a smart team. You don't run 534 times and only pass 427 when Wilson is your QB. It is blindingly stupid. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They have an elite QB and run the ball instead. They aren't a smart team. You don't run 534 times and only pass 427 when Wilson is your QB. It is blindingly stupid. 

How did they get to those numbers? What if they passed 55% of the time until they had 2-3 score leads, and then ran out the clock in a lot of their games? They won 10 games last year right? 

I know their o-line has been dogsh*t - maybe they knew that too and were trying to preserve Russell last year until they could address the issue, knowing that they were still capable of 10 wins while doing so? 

Edited by Randall Flagg

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

How did they get to those numbers? What if they passed 55% of the time until they had 2-3 score leads, and then ran out the clock in a lot of their games? They won 10 games last year right? 

I know their o-line has been dogsh*t - maybe they knew that too and were trying to preserve Russell last year until they could address the issue, knowing that they were still capable of 10 wins while doing so? 

They got those numbers by running the ball a lot. You don't have a split like that because you built so many 2-3 score leads you got to run that much. We are talking just over 100 more rushes. What did they play Arizona 16 times last year? They beat teams by 14 or more points 5 times last season. They also lost 3 games by more than a field goal so you gotta figure at times they trailed and had to throw. So even with all that into account they had 100 more rushing attempts? 

Wilson is a very good QB. They had the 23 offensive line last year. They should throw more than they do but don't because they aren't being coached to. It seems stupid to me. I am very curious to see if they adjust this year or because of their WR depth they continue to run more than they should. 

Edited by LGR4GM

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They have an elite QB and run the ball instead. They aren't a smart team. You don't run 534 times and only pass 427 when Wilson is your QB. It is blindingly stupid

Even without knowing much of anything, I still don't think it's that simple.

Something about there being more than one way to skin a cat, and such.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

They would be a more effective team if they used Russel Wilson's passing ability more. 

Is that better wording? Idk why we care so much about Seattle. I just think it is silly on their part not to throw it more. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

That's what I'm trying to get at. Each game is its own incredibly detailed story, so adding the total number of pass and run plays from all games doesn't tell me much of anything. 

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They would be a more effective team if they used Russel Wilson's passing ability more. 

Is that better wording? Idk why we care so much about Seattle. I just think it is silly on their part not to throw it more. 

It is hard to disagree with this.

If a team has one of the league's best quarterbacks, then why, in a league that has consistently evolved to favor the forward pass, is that team often among the lower half of the league in passing attempts?  

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It is hard to disagree with this.

If a team has one of the league's best quarterbacks, then why, in a league that has consistently evolved to favor the forward pass, is that team often among the lower half of the league in passing attempts?

OTOH, maybe part of Wilson's efficiency rating is the fact that he doesn't throw the ball a ton? 

41 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Q: of those 534 runs, how many were Wilson runs?  And if those, how many came on plays that were designed as passes or pass / run options rather than straight running plays?

(Not having the #'s in front of me) but if Wilson runs on 6 plays per game (which seems a reasonable # for a guy that likes to run) that were designed as passes, that's 96 plays that were designed as passes that ended up runs and nearly flips the run / pass ratio of their actual plays.

IF that (or something similar) is the actual case, their play selection looks a lot better as intending to pass even more than that is getting you into "gimmick" offenses like the Run & Shoot or Air Raid.  (And maybe Air Raid will go from gimmick to standard, but right now only Arizona IIRC plans to run it.)

My 2 cents, and really without a horse in this race.  Asked the q's purely for imformation.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Q: of those 534 runs, how many were Wilson runs?  And if those, how many came on plays that were designed as passes or pass / run options rather than straight running plays?

(Not having the #'s in front of me) but if Wilson runs on 6 plays per game (which seems a reasonable # for a guy that likes to run) that were designed as passes, that's 96 plays that were designed as passes that ended up runs and nearly flips the run / pass ratio of their actual plays.

IF that (or something similar) is the actual case, their play selection looks a lot better as intending to pass even more than that is getting you into "gimmick" offenses like the Run & Shoot or Air Raid.  (And maybe Air Raid will go from gimmick to standard, but right now only Arizona IIRC plans to run it.)

My 2 cents, and really without a horse in this race.  Asked the q's purely for imformation.

He had 67 rushing attempts last year good for 7th overall.  http://www.nfl.com/player/russellwilson/2532975/careerstats

• Thanks (+1) 1