Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

This is a narrative that needs to die because it's not true.

Exactly,

The Patriots work the percentages, they acquire a ton of picks and cast offs and a few work out.

Its actually exactly what Beane has been doing to an extent. He still trades up where they rarely do.

They also have Brady and Belichick to cover up some mistakes.

11 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Just stiring the pot a bit.  It does seem like it though to a very casual observer.  Someone did a segment on CBS Sports Radio, which is the only thing I can pick up late at night here in the hinterland.  They seemed to think it's a thing, but they were probably trolling the radio listeners.  Many callers took the host (sorry, don't remember who the host was, but it was a Sunday night) on and said he was full of it.

7 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Exactly,

The Patriots work the percentages, they acquire a ton of picks and cast offs and a few work out.

Its actually exactly what Beane has been doing to an extent. He still trades up where they rarely do.

See above as a reply to dark.  Some talking head or other thinks that any cast off the Belichick touches turns to gold.

+++++

How are the Bills doing, by the way?

57 minutes ago, darksabre said:

53 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Exactly,

I also saw on the wire that the Patriots very recently gave up on - released? traded for a 7th? - a DB that they took in a recent draft's 2nd round.

Their personnel decisions are probably about the same as a lot of teams' decisions, on balance. Granted, we're probably talking the top third (or maybe just the top half) of the league.

Having Brady and Belichick masks almost all of those mistakes.

Also, not for nothing, it's a helluva lot easier to be a competent O-lineman for the Patriots because you have a guy back there who consistently gets rid of the ball after a quick three step drop.

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I also saw on the wire that the Patriots very recently gave up on - released? traded for a 7th? - a DB that they took in a recent draft's 2nd round.

Their personnel decisions are probably about the same as a lot of teams' decisions, on balance. Granted, we're probably talking the top third (or maybe just the top half) of the league.

Having Brady and Belichick masks almost all of those mistakes.

Also, not for nothing, it's a helluva lot easier to be a competent O-lineman for the Patriots because you have a guy back there who consistently gets rid of the ball after a quick three step drop.

That, knowing the rule book better than anybody else (which is absolutely astounding that none of the other 31 teams know it as well) so they can find "loopholes" or gray areas, being better prepared, and being willing to skirt the rules (aka cheat) when necessary is the difference between them and everybody else.

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That, knowing the rule book better than anybody else (which is absolutely astounding that none of the other 31 teams know it as well) so they can find "loopholes" or gray areas, being better prepared, and being willing to skirt the rules (aka cheat) when necessary is the difference between them and everybody else.

Sure, and I'd submit that having Belichick encompasses knowing the rule book better, being better prepared, and pushing the envelope of lawful conduct.

Over the last few years, I've heard multiple former NFL players speak to the fact that the Pats just work harder than (most) other teams. And probably work smarter, too. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sure, and I'd submit that having Belichick encompasses knowing the rule book better, being better prepared, and pushing the envelope of lawful conduct.

Over the last few years, I've heard multiple former NFL players speak to the fact that the Pats just work harder than (most) other teams. And probably work smarter, too. 

I watched and read a lot of in-depth things on Belichick in particular last spring. This is really what it boils down to. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

Damn son 

It's the right move, I think. McCoy looked done last year. I mean, he looked considerably worse than Chris Ivory! Singletary as the lead back, Yeldon the primary receiving back, and Gore short yardage. Wasn't really any room for McCoy unless he showed in camp that he was back to being 28, which he didn't. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's the right move, I think. McCoy looked done last year. I mean, he looked considerably worse than Chris Ivory! Singletary as the lead back, Yeldon the primary receiving back, and Gore short yardage. Wasn't really any room for McCoy unless he showed in camp that he was back to being 28, which he didn't. 

It's definitely the right move. Just sucks to see the only good player this team has had recently cast off so unceremoniously.

Yeah, I'm fine with it, but shocked they actually did it.

Yeldon had that nasty fumble in preseason but some of the catches he made showed that he really can be a weapon in real games, along with his 900 all purpose yards and 5 TDs last year. 

Hope Singletary is ready. He showed off some tantalizing instincts/vision. I'm a little worried about his speed/acceleration.

Sorta sad about Shady. Without commenting on any off-field stuff, the nature of which I'm really not aware, he always appeared to be a great team guy and a leader from everything I've seen and read. And man was he fun to watch those first three seasons. A huge reason for the end of the drought. Thanks for coming here and playing your heart out, Shady. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If they don't use that cap space immediately, I'm going to be annoyed about the McCoy move.

Unlike the NHL, unused cap space can be rolled to the next season.  That space will get used but unless they can work out a trade for Clowney not real sure they can find a guy that they should spend it on now.

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Do we know what the cap impact is?  I assume they save his $6MM base salary but is there an offsetting cap hit of some kind?

Read over on TBD (somewhere in the massive McCoy Cut thread) that the Bills end up with a hit of about $2.4MM ( Can't recall exactly what they said the hit was, it was low 2's and don't recall how far in that way posted.) but are saving over $6MM by cutting him.