GDT: Sabres at Red Wings 24 Nov 18 @ 7:00 PM EST

SABRES 0311

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

No, you enjoy your break lol. The one play Tage got roasted for was an offensive zone pass back toward the point that got intercepted and put into the Buffalo net moments later. Upon further review the pass deflected off a stick, just an unlucky play. Part of the unfairness is that kind of cherry picking. Then again, all it took for me to think the kid could play was a couple of dipsy doodles here and there.

Forget Winnipeg - the "Tage isn't ready" position became solidified more than a month ago. I'm talking, the mundane shift-to-shift plays going back to the first games of the season not being NHL-worthy. That he assisted on two goals against later on in the season were only exclamation points. 

But hopefully that's all in the past. Because he's playing like he was in preseason, when he made pretty much every poster's top 12. I think the board knew that this player was in there, and just figured it was going to take AHL seasoning to bring out.  

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

I guess that's logical. I'm in a weird place — I trust what the Buffalo Sabres' braintrust is doing.

I'm just shocked that the only complaints I've had are line combos. Since those are a given for any coach, that means I haven't had any actual complaints. 

Coupled with the occasional fun media presence, I don't even know who this team is anymore! 

9 minutes ago, RambosKnife said:

Anyone in favor of a Sabres season thread? We have Around the NHL and GDTs for individual games. How about a thread to discuss the season as it progresses but dedicated just to the Sabres? Or is that lineup thread? If in favor let me know and I can start it up. If not no biggie.

The management is known to prefer multiple fresh topic threads as opposed to endless catch-all threads.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, Beer said:

I think Rinne is the current front runner but Hutton could be in the discussion if he keeps getting wins.  

Wins never really matter with the Vezina. Hutton isn’t anywhere near the conversation and that’s fine.

Also: I’m starting to wonder if there’s a lot we don’t know and can’t see as fans about Scandella. It often LOOKS like he’s struggling and making mistakes but the team keeps winning and the coach that’s driving this team keeps playing him.

Anyone who wanted TT sent to Rochester looked at the fact that he was a healthy scratch and did not appear NHL Ready in his limited minutes. He is waiver exempt and would have been able to get Top 6 Minutes in Rochester.

I believe that St Louis did not do him any favors by calling him up before he was ready last season. 

Botterill and Housley do appear to have his development on the right track.

2 hours ago, RambosKnife said:

I think he [Tage] was pretty upset about the no call and put some hate and discontent into the shot. 

He said as much in his post-game interview.

2 hours ago, RambosKnife said:

Remi can stay. He handled PK duty well and plays with motivation.

Then who goes when Scott Wilson returns?

1 hour ago, Beer said:

I was thinking, JBots should sit Jack down and have him to watch Crosby highlights.  There is no reason Jack cannot put up similar numbers (as Sid in his prime).

The Detroit coverage said the same thing, and they said Conor Sheary should be the guy to do it with him.  I know they're both LW, but any chance of a Sheary-Eich-Skins line?  That could be amazing.

1 hour ago, Beer said:

Hutton and Linus have been our best player for everyone one of these wins.

I would say that despite the softee, Linus took a major step in his development against Detroit.  They have some amazing speed & skill on their top lines and they managed to spring them on breakaways last night.  Lehner would have been shivering in a corner during the first intermission, but Linus stood tall.

42 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Forget Winnipeg - the "Tage isn't ready" position became solidified more than a month ago. I'm talking, the mundane shift-to-shift plays going back to the first games of the season not being NHL-worthy. That he assisted on two goals against later on in the season were only exclamation points. 

But hopefully that's all in the past. Because he's playing like he was in preseason, when he made pretty much every poster's top 12. I think the board knew that this player was in there, and just figured it was going to take AHL seasoning to bring out.  

Or NHL seasoning. Maybe Phil and Jason thought his mistakes were fixable, either by coaching or immersion in the NHL game. The evaluation, perhaps, was that this is a smart kid.

22 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Also: I’m starting to wonder if there’s a lot we don’t know and can’t see as fans about Scandella. It often LOOKS like he’s struggling and making mistakes but the team keeps winning and the coach that’s driving this team keeps playing him.

He did make a great shot block at the end of regulation. Remember that Scandella was a heart and soul guy who didn't hide his disgust and hatred of losing last season. That probably went a long way with Phil. Also, like you said, you're on a long winning streak...

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

He said as much in his post-game interview.

re: Tage Rage. It's the kind of thing analytics can never measure. Tage scored because he was PISSED. (Similarly, I believe in my heart of hearts Larsson scored against Philly because the crowd went straight to his head.) #superstition

28 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He's also gone from 1st pairing Dman to a 3rd pairing Dman. Which says a lot for the improvement of our D corps 

56 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

No, you enjoy your break lol. The one play Tage got roasted for was an offensive zone pass back toward the point that got intercepted and put into the Buffalo net moments later. Upon further review the pass deflected off a stick, just an unlucky play. Part of the unfairness is that kind of cherry picking. Then again, all it took for me to think the kid could play was a couple of dipsy doodles here and there.

I saw the deflection.  I don't think it was an unlucky play, I think it was an ill-advised pass.  I don't think anyone on the roster not named Thompson or Scandella makes that pass.  I like to think Thompson wouldn't make it again.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I saw the deflection.  I don't think it was an unlucky play, I think it was an ill-advised pass.  I don't think anyone on the roster not named Thompson or Scandella makes that pass.  I like to think Thompson wouldn't make it again.

And if it's not deflected and we score? This team is taking all kinds of chances with the puck, which is why they're so fun to watch. It's working most of the time and not hurting them most of the time it doesn't work — backchecking like crazy, goaltenders bailing them out. I'll take this hockey over the mechanized, "don't make a mistake" brand any day. Or night.

• Like (+1) 3

Remind me, what are Wilson’s strengths?  This is a sincere question.  I just can’t remember his game.  Obviously a bottom 6 guy.

36 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The Detroit coverage said the same thing, and they said Conor Sheary should be the guy to do it with him.  I know they're both LW, but any chance of a Sheary-Eich-Skins line?  That could be amazing.

This seems like a nice experiment for the FLA game.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Beer said:

Remind me, what are Wilson’s strengths?  This is a sincere question.  I just can’t remember his game.  Obviously a bottom 6 guy.

He was used last year on the PK.  I don't see anywhere he fits into any long term plans.  Does anyone see him needed/making the roster next year?

Elie is already showing PK work so............................it will be interesting to see what JBOTs and Housley do here.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

And if it's not deflected and we score? This team is taking all kinds of chances with the puck, which is why they're so fun to watch. It's working most of the time and not hurting them most of the time it doesn't work — backchecking like crazy, goaltenders bailing them out. I'll take this hockey over the mechanized, "don't make a mistake" brand any day. Or night.

Overall, you're right.  But at that point, Tage hadn't shown enough of the good to counteract the bad.

Jack handed a breakaway to the Wings last night but it didn't bother me near as much because Jack produces a lot more than he gives up.  The scale was balanced in the other direction when Tage made that pass.

1 hour ago, RambosKnife said:

Anyone in favor of a Sabres season thread? We have Around the NHL and GDTs for individual games. How about a thread to discuss the season as it progresses but dedicated just to the Sabres? Or is that lineup thread? If in favor let me know and I can start it up. If not no biggie.

This is a hard “no, thanks”.

3 hours ago, Beer said:

I’m going on a bit of a rant this morning... sorry.

Scandella needs to sit a few games.  His decision making and untimely penalties are not helping this team.  I would really like to see Pilut get 3-5 games  His offensive numbers in the A have me frothing at the mouth.  I want to see if he can do it at the NHL level.

This!  Scandella has been terrible all season.  It's almost as if he is deliberately playing so poorly because he has fallen a few notches down the depth chart (ex. RR, McCabe, Dahlin, BOGO all playing better and deserve more minutes) and he is playing like he does not care. 

I think his antics in the corridor from the locker room to the bench are irritating as hell to watch.  It's like he not taking the game seriously and being a goof-ball on and off the ice.  He needs to look and play like he is serious about improving his game.  He is a "passenger" on a team of others doing all the heavy lifting and needs to be put in his place.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.