GDT: Sabres at Red Wings 24 Nov 18 @ 7:00 PM EST

SABRES 0311

And it's not fair of me to ride Tage when he's bad and not point out when he's turned it around. 

It's both good for the team, good for Tage, and promising for the front office's long term future that this turnaround happened, and happened so quickly. A couple more games of this and I'm convinced he's a legit good depth piece, right this second. Not a prospect, bad-and-not-ready. Not going-to-be-good, not mediocre-but-on-a-hot-streak. Just more good depth for a team that hasn't had it for so long, with growth potential to be more than that.

We needed to see prospect development for the first time under this organization. It was one of our most important offseason goals. Tage has developed under the front office. Alex Nylander has too. It appears that Olofsson has as well. Good vibes everywhere. 

And the team is winning a f*ck ton too, just for good measure.

I have to fly back to OK tomorrow and then you guys are going to be stuck with me in the GDTs again. For tonight, of course, I watched yet another glorious win with the company of my girlfriend and my family. 

It hurts to leave just as much as that first time. Thanks to the Sabres for softening the blow and keeping me excited for the coming months. It's truly been amazing. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

Couple times they were looking for the fancy play. Eichel coughing up a breakaway instead of shooting it. Seems his mentality is too focused on drawing defenders close hoping it leaves someone open. Guy has great hands and killer shot. Wish he would shoot it a little more instead of passing. I’m sure the balance will come.

On a lighter note I was on pins and needles. Didn’t want the streak to end on my first GDT. I think I will leave it to the pros (WILDCARD) for a while. 

1 hour ago, RambosKnife said:

Couple times they were looking for the fancy play. Eichel coughing up a breakaway instead of shooting it. Seems his mentality is too focused on drawing defenders close hoping it leaves someone open. Guy has great hands and killer shot. Wish he would shoot it a little more instead of passing. I’m sure the balance will come.

On a lighter note I was on pins and needles. Didn’t want the streak to end on my first GDT. I think I will leave it to the pros (WILDCARD) for a while. 

Yes, he did wait a little too long a few times. Sometimes you just have to take the shot. You're not always going to get the perfect play or perfect angle.

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Eichel turnovers are part of the winning formula. What he does stickhandling is what drives the bus. The occasional turnover is the price you pay.

He needs to find a balance between playmaker and sniper because he can do both. Once he does the defense will likely focus on blocking his shooting lane opening the passing lane. I think at this point the defense knows he’s looking to pass. Just my opinion.

On another note I’m surprised TT didn’t put the puck through the net. What a rocket. I think he was pretty upset about the no call and put some hate and discontent into the shot. 

Remi can stay. He handled PK duty well and plays with motivation. 

I know there are those that believe our 4th line is better with Girgs and Bergs, but I thought the speed of E & E really lead to some great scoring chances that the 4th line was not capable of before. 

I'd like to see the current 4th line for another 3-4 games just to see what happens. 

The greatest difference between last year and this year is the fight for roster positions by legitimate NHL'ers. If no one get's hurt and we get healthy we have a great dilemma that many NHL teams would love to have.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Yes, he did wait a little too long a few times. Sometimes you just have to take the shot. You're not always going to get the perfect play or perfect angle.

Completely agree.  They need to make quicker passes on the PP and get the PK moving.  That will open up lanes.  Sometimes they do a lot of standing around.  

I was thinking, JBots should sit Jack down and have him to watch Crosby highlights.  There is no reason Jack cannot put up similar numbers (as Sid in his prime).  Jack protects the puck like Crosby and commands the same respect from defenders.  I think Crosby does a better job going to the net to get dirty goals.  Jack is capable of 40 goals and 60-70 assists (with Skinner on his wing).  I would just like to see him use his big frame near the net to bang in some rebounds and/or redirections.  I don’t mean for this to be a nitpick on Jack, my only thought is that he can be more effective and dangerous than he has been.  I love all the helpers he’s getting.

Still can’t believe they have won 9 straight and are first in the league.  Pinch me.

beer

• SDS unpinned this topic
34 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

The greatest difference between last year and this year is the fight for roster positions by legitimate NHL'ers. If no one get's hurt and we get healthy we have a great dilemma that many NHL teams would love to have.

Although I believe this team has much more NHL depth, it’s goaltending that is the biggest difference.  We did not get the saves last year.  Hutton and Linus have been our best player for everyone one of these wins.  

I’m going on a bit of a rant this morning... sorry.

Scandella needs to sit a few games.  His decision making and untimely penalties are not helping this team.  I would really like to see Pilut get 3-5 games  His offensive numbers in the A have me frothing at the mouth.  I want to see if he can do it at the NHL level.

Edited by Beer

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

I know there are those that believe our 4th line is better with Girgs and Bergs, but I thought the speed of E & E really lead to some great scoring chances that the 4th line was not capable of before. 

I'd like to see the current 4th line for another 3-4 games just to see what happens. 

He played a good 4th line game and could be a useful 4th-liner, but I think time will show Elie has about as much scoring acumen as Larsson and Girgensons.

9 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

And it's not fair of me to ride Tage when he's bad and not point out when he's turned it around.

I don't think a lot of the criticism — or the tone of it — was fair. Not just you, young lad. "He sucks." "He needs to be in the AHL." A little perspective was lost on a 20/21-year-old prospect. Especially given a lot of the good things he was doing. Understandable. We've been conditioned to expect too much from young talent that wasn't quite ready to deliver.

I've never fancied myself a talent evaluator, but my eyes weren't letting me agree with the consensus. I do feel a bit redeemed. But guess what? He'll be up and down.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Those are 4 teams trailing right behind us, all 4 eying the cup.   Now this is a very good test for us.

Hopefully this is how it goes....

SJS and Tampa games---Dahlin breaks out and shows up Hedman/ Karlsson

Fla---not an easy one but Trochek out, should win but must beat Luongo.

Preds----must win one for the coach

Leafs---must win for the fans

GO SABRES

Just now, PASabreFan said:

I don't think a lot of the criticism — or the tone of it — was fair. Not just you, young lad. "He sucks." "He needs to be in the AHL." A little perspective was lost on a 20/21-year-old prospect. Especially given a lot of the good things he was doing. Understandable. We've been conditioned to expect too much from young talent that wasn't quite ready to deliver.

I've never fancied myself a talent evaluator, but my eyes weren't letting me agree with the consensus. I do feel a bit redeemed. But guess what? He'll be up and down.

He simply was a bottom ~10 forward playing regular minutes in the entire NHL for his first 15 games. I'll put some tape together over Christmas break if you'd like me to and aren't convinced. 

Prospects develop, but most of the time, development does NOT entail being in the NHL while they are over their heads, which is why people wanted him down. It entails being in lower leagues until they can enter the league as not in-way-over-their-head. 

However, he was able to power through that it appears, and all power to him for that. It doesn't change what has already happened, but it turns the present situation into a much brighter one. 

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I was actually impressed with how fair the criticism was.  I didn't see anyone really give up on him or call him a bust.  Saying a young player that is struggling - and, especially, barely getting any playing time - should be playing in the AHL is pretty measured as internet criticism goes.  And TT really beat the odds by inexplicably turning it on in the last week.

6 minutes ago, Robviously said:

I was actually impressed with how fair the criticism was.  I didn't see anyone really give up on him or call him a bust.  Saying a young player that is struggling - and, especially, barely getting any playing time - should be playing in the AHL is pretty measured as internet criticism goes.  And TT really beat the odds by inexplicably turning it on in the last week.

Maybe all this was explicable. And why he was kept up. Are you prepared to say Phil and Jason handled him properly and sending him down would have been a mistake?

In my opinion TT is still a borderline NHL’er.  I think there are kids in Rochester who are worthy of his roster spot (and who i’d like to see get a shot... Mr Olofsson).  I’m happy to see Tage develop and contribute.  He was outstanding last night.  Will that be the norm?  Well that is the million dollar question.  

Edited by Beer

16 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

He simply was a bottom ~10 forward playing regular minutes in the entire NHL for his first 15 games. I'll put some tape together over Christmas break if you'd like me to and aren't convinced. 

Prospects develop, but most of the time, development does NOT entail being in the NHL while they are over their heads, which is why people wanted him down. It entails being in lower leagues until they can enter the league as not in-way-over-their-head. 

However, he was able to power through that it appears, and all power to him for that. It doesn't change what has already happened, but it turns the present situation into a much brighter one.

No, you enjoy your break lol. The one play Tage got roasted for was an offensive zone pass back toward the point that got intercepted and put into the Buffalo net moments later. Upon further review the pass deflected off a stick, just an unlucky play. Part of the unfairness is that kind of cherry picking. Then again, all it took for me to think the kid could play was a couple of dipsy doodles here and there.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.