GDT Ottawa Senators vs Buffalo Sabres 7:30pm ET 11/1/18

Andrew Amerk

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Eichel is on pace for 88 points. That would have put him 11th in the league last season behind noted slackers Stamkos, Marchand, Tavares, Gaudreau, Kuznetsov, Panarin....

You've got the shiv out for the wrong guy.

I guess an argument can be made about Jack playing better but I agree about the wrong guy statement.

Sam Reinhart has the 2nd most TOI of all forwards behind Jack.  He is on pace for 6 goals this season.

He's not even breaking a sweat out there every game and I say this being a fan of his.

Just now, Thorny said:

Anything that starts breaching the territory of "clutch" gets tiresome. That the goals Eichel produced today just didn't come at the "right" time. 

If Pete Carroll gives the ball to Lynch at the goal line, and Tom Brady's Super Bowl performance in that game is altered not a single iota, he's probably not recognized as the near-indisputable GOAT of QBs right now as he only ties Montana for titles. So much is based on circumstance.

Likewise, if Kyle Okposo wires that shot home and scores again in OT, Jack is lauded for a gritty effort that produced two point and led the team to a comeback victory. 

You honestly believe there's not a difference between batting bottom of the 9th in the WS vs March? Clutch is 100% a thing. It's fight or flight. Some guys show up big under the lights

Brady lost to the Eagles despite throwing for over 500 yards. He's still the Goat.

Petterson on Vancouver is Rookie of the Month... Mittelstadt is virtually non existent.., when that changes we win more games.  Reinhart as the second pick is a bust for where we got him.  The ex Blues players are nonexistent as well.  We need to get more goal scorers on this team.  We don’t score goals still... bottom line. Trade some guys and bring up some of the kids next year and maybe we can contend in 2-3 years.  

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

You honestly believe there's not a difference between batting bottom of the 9th in the WS vs March? Clutch is 100% a thing. It's fight or flight. Some guys show up big under the lights

Brady lost to the Eagles despite throwing for over 500 yards. He's still the Goat.

If he didn't have a 5th title to his name, you can bet your bottom dollar his argument for GOAT would be weakened in the eyes of many. 

10 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Yeah.... I've seen about enough of Samson.  Move him for whatever.  Dude was a second overall but won't live up to it ever.  Maybe there's a Chiarelli out there....

I usually am not quick to overreact to things but if Sam cannot get into the games after he just experienced the best October ever since he has

been here then maybe it's best for both him and Sabres to part ways.  I'll give him November to do a 180.

29 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Like David Price? Not clutch. Until he was. Ovechkin? Yup, not a leader. Until his team wins, despite him being the same as every, he is then portrayed as clutch. Toews must have misplaced his clutch gene last season. And on and on and on. 

Teams win. The Sabres are rolling out Pominville on line 1 and Sobotka as 2C and you're going after Eichel for "not leading" while he makes Pominville look like an NHL player. You've gone off the deep end. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've read very little of this thread so call me ignorant if I've missed posts. 

But, the Nolan teams were fun as hell to watch, just because he made the team more than they were. The last couple of years were painful to watch.

This team this year might not make the playoffs........ But man they've got a ton of talent. 

Include the fact the team has three first round picks......... on top of the talent they have....... they could be a Cup contender in a couple of years. 

9 minutes ago, Robviously said:

Another lousy effort overall.  Team needs to learn how to compete and how to win.

They've proven they can do that. What they need 8s to be consistent at it. It's not so much leadership, but the ability of many others to follow. A lot of dead weight on this team right now.

Moves should be made. Free riding is not an option.

1 minute ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I've read very little of this thread so call me ignorant if I've missed posts. 

But, the Nolan teams were fun as hell to watch, just because he made the team more than they were. The last couple of years were painful to watch.

This team this year might not make the playoffs........ But man they've got a ton of talent. 

Include the fact the team has three first round picks......... on top of the talent they have....... they could be a Cup contender in a couple of years. 

A certain goaltender would like a word with you. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Like David Price? Not clutch. Until he was. Ovechkin? Yup, not a leader. Until his team wins, despite him being the same as every, he is then portrayed as clutch. Toews must have misplaced his clutch gene last season. And on and on and on. 

Teams win. The Sabres are rolling out Pominville on line 1 and Sobotka as 2C and you're going after Eichel for "not leading" while he makes Pominville look like an NHL player. You've gone off the deep end. 

The entire team wasn't skating tonight. And yeah, that's on him, and Housley. I said in this thread multiple times that those other players were brutal. Two games in a row they didn't show up with effort. Who's fault is that

Laugh all you want, but it's very limited to think that there is no difference between big games and small, and that some guys take longer to adapt to it, some guys are born for it, and some guys will never have it.

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

The entire team wasn't skating tonight. And yeah, that's on him, and Housley. I said in this thread multiple times that those other players were brutal. Two games in a row they didn't show up with effort. Who's fault is that

Laugh all you want, but it's very limited to think that there is no difference between big games and small, and that some guys take longer to adapt to it, some guys are born for it, and some guys will never have it.

And it's pure hubris to think we can infer this from a tiny subset of all games played. Clutch may exist, but the way it's assessed would fail inferential reasoning 101.

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

And it's pure hubris to think we can infer this from a tiny subset of all games played. Clutch may exist, but the way it's assessed would fail inferential reasoning 101.

If it were a large subset of games, it wouldn't be a factor, and hence it wouldn't exist.

It's pretty easy for anyone to experience the affect of pressure in a big situation

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

If it were a large subset of games, it wouldn't be a factor, and hence it wouldn't exist.

It's pretty easy for anyone to experience the affect of pressure in a big situation

I have no what that first part means.

Ah, but see, that's not observable. What we observe is team outcomes. Inferring individual characteristics from that is, uh, problematic at best. For the longest time, it was judged that Ovechkin was a poor leader because his teams didn't get out of the second round. Then they won the Cup without a single measurable difference in his performance. But he "changed his game" and somesuch nonsense. 

PS: affect and effect are different ?

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

Soooo what'd I miss?

WildCard going full Liger on us. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I have no what that first part means.

Ah, but see, that's not observable. What we observe is team outcomes. Inferring individual characteristics from that is, uh, problematic at best. For the longest time, it was judged that Ovechkin was a poor leader because his teams didn't get out of the second round. Then they won the Cup without a single measurable difference in his performance. But he "changed his game" and somesuch nonsense. 

PS: affect and effect are different ?

WildCard going full Liger on us. 

Being clutch is how you respond to pressure

It's easier to see in individual sports. David Ortiz, Reggie Jackson, and Mad Bum

And I'm loving it!

Edited by WildCard

25 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Sometimes taken to ludicrously small sizes. The "Montana is the best because he is a perfect 4-0 in Super Bowls whereas Brady "lost" a few" argument, as an example. 

So Montana is more clutch in the big games. Right. Except for when his team was getting bounced in the first round a bunch of years. But he lost early on so that's apparently better than making it to a SB and losing. 

It's the same thing with LeBron's detractors. 

Really have to wonder why we almost always seem to start slow. Coaching? Prep? I dunno, but we never seem ready.

Have to like the lack of quit and the top line is a good line, but SO TIRED of the Samson debate every year. Same old same old. I wish we had enough talent to simply be rid of him, but we don't. Not yet. 

We will lose a lot of games like this. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.