Scott Wilson injured

Hoss

20 minutes ago, Iron Crotch said:

For me, Scott Wilson = JAG. I don't wish injury upon anyone and I hope he fully recovers and all. But, I don't see it making much of a difference if he plays or not.

He definitely is but when he plays I see him do good things. More than I can say from about a dozen guys off last year's roster.

• Like (+1) 1

We're arguing over the merits of guys who don't make the roster of any playoff-level team. Therein lies why I think the Sabres will absolutely suck this season. Two other teams dumped Wilson last year before he landed a semi-regular role on the worst team in hockey. That he (legitimately or not) seems like an upgrade over several of our other forwards, to me, is evidence of just how bad it's gotten for this once proud franchise.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Iron Crotch said:

We're arguing over the merits of guys who don't make the roster of any playoff-level team. Therein lies why I think the Sabres will absolutely suck this season. Two other teams dumped Wilson last year before he landed a semi-regular role on the worst team in hockey. That he (legitimately or not) seems like an upgrade over several of our other forwards, to me, is evidence of just how bad it's gotten for this once proud franchise.

I have to say, our opening night roster is not going to have the levels of fat trimmed that I would have liked. Hoping the prospects change that this year (like they're supposed to every year and never do) 

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Aren't you a bright ray of sunshine. 

?

Somewhere in my line of thought about the Sabres is an analogy to the story of the Boy who cried "Wolf!"

At the start of every season, most around here think the team will be competitive/better... and every year it is just more of the same. We've been so terrible for so long (dead f'ing last in the entire NHL 3 of the past 5 seasons) that I just can't buy into the optimism that Buffalo sports fans seem to generate at the beginning of every season. Until I see some evidence that freaking any of these new guys can play (although I do have supreme confidence in Dahlin) I just can't get excited when we traded 2 of the top 4 scorers off of the lowest scoring team in hockey and replaced them with a bunch of unknowns (mostly young prospects).

That said, I'll still watch most games... because I'm from Buffalo... and we're a bunch of masochists when it comes to our sports teams!

12 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I have to say, our opening night roster is not going to have the levels of fat trimmed that I would have liked. Hoping the prospects change that this year (like they're supposed to every year and never do) 

The veterans were going to play.  It's what will happen because it's the most strategic long-term option.  ?

12 hours ago, Iron Crotch said:

Who's arguing?  No one is claiming SW is anything special. He's just not paul szczechura.  

2 hours ago, LTS said:

The veterans were going to play.  It's what will happen because it's the most strategic long-term option.  ?

I'm talking even with that. I don't like our veterans and want different ones. 

I just would have done the offseason a little differently as I've whined once or a million times about lol 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm talking even with that. I don't like our veterans and want different ones.  

I just would have done the offseason a little differently as I've whined once or a million times about lol 

Other than picking up Skinner (i.e., a proven NHL scorer), I'm not a fan of much of anything Botterill has done. We lucked into Dahlin by being the worst team and (finally) winning the draft lottery. But, I realize I'm in the minority around here, so I pretty much just haven't posted this off-season rather than spread my negativity. That said, if I'm pleasantly surprised by how the season progresses, then I'll gladly eat crow!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.