GDT Penguins At Sabres Preseason Game 2 MSG WGR 550

Brawndo

7 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Girgensons seemed irrelevant.

I don't know about that, he was the Penguins' punching bag.  Someone has to be a magnet for that stuff.

I did not like them sitting back at the end, there.  They should NEVER sit back.  That's one thing that will bug me if I see them sitting back, ever.  Always attack...be THAT team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ... said:

I don't know about that, he was the Penguins' punching bag.  Someone has to be a magnet for that stuff.

I did not like them sitting back at the end, there.  They should NEVER sit back.  That's one thing that will bug me if I see them sitting back, ever.  Always attack...be THAT team.

Vegas was pedal to the metal throughout the year. It didn't matter if they were up 4 goals in the last 5 minutes, they were looking to get five and six all the way to the final buzzer. Team speed and a relentless effort night in and night out.

I would like to see the Sabres make that their identity.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ... said:

YES. 

I missed the third but I was very pleased with how organized the Sabres looked, especially in clearing their own zone and getting through the neutral zone.  Several passes completed in a row- something we haven't seen from the Sabres in years.  I also liked the way they cycled in the offensive zone, with defensemen coming down low and the forwards covering the points more or less seamlessly, then cycling back.  Once they got that rotation going it seemed like they better controlled the puck in the offensive zone.

Oh, and they beat Shitzburgh, always a plus.

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

I will say one thing - I don't think Mittelstadt should be a lock, even though I think he is. 

To make the NHL roster?  Yeah, you may be right.  His ceiling is sky high, but perhaps a quarter to a half season in the AHL might get him better acclimated to the pro game.

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

How did Okposo look? Only got to see the 1st period

Okposo should’ve been far more relevant in a game against a B squad. He was an albatross on the PP, and was just ineffective in relation to how he should’ve performed. 

I’m really pulling for him. He can be a difference maker, if he can get his game together. 

13 minutes ago, hockeyhound said:

Vegas was pedal to the metal throughout the year. It didn't matter if they were up 4 goals in the last 5 minutes, they were looking to get five and six all the way to the final buzzer. Team speed and a relentless effort night in and night out.

I would like to see the Sabres make that their identity.

Yeah Vegas was unbelievable. Never have seen a team turn over so many pucks in the neutral zone as they did.

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Close your eyes and picture Okposo - not on a bad night, not on a great night, just how you remember Okposo 

That's exactly what he looked like

On the other hand, I thought Pommers looked pretty good.  He's playing the system, feeding his teammates, looking for the dangerous areas.  I think he might have a resurgence this year.  If we don't expect the Pomminstein of old, but just a smart, contributing veteran, we won't be disappointed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Okposo should’ve been far more relevant in a game against a B squad. He was an albatross on the PP, and was just ineffective in relation to how he should’ve performed. 

I’m really pulling for him. He can be a difference maker, if he can get his game together. 

I think we've got quite a large sample size to indicate that this is just what Kyle is now. 

And people will be a lot less angry if we play him like he is, and not like he was. He has a place, and it's not as a go-to top-six guy.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

On the other hand, I thought Pommers looked pretty good.  He's playing the system, feeding his teammates, looking for the dangerous areas.  I think he might have a resurgence this year.  If we don't expect the Pomminstein of old, but just a smart, contributing veteran, we won't be disappointed.

Same thing with what I said with Kyle - if he's really gotten quicker/rejuvenated, as long as he's where he should be, then by all means let's see how it goes 

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

I think we've got quite a large sample size to indicate that this is just what Kyle is now. 

And people will be a lot less angry if we play him like he is, and not like he was. He has a place, and it's not as a go-to top-six guy.

I don’t think he has a place other than a top 6 guy. Last thing we need right now is another Moulson. 

I'm willing to say this about our aging veterans:  If the kids can carry the team and we're winning, I don't care of Okie and Pommers aren't putting up the points.  So far, this team plays more like a team than any Sabres team since the tank.  As long as they aren't a liability, I'm fine with taking what we can get out of them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.