TRADE: Sabres acquire Jeff Skinner

Hoss

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Very likely, and he's not exactly filling Kane's skates in the two-way game.  But with what the Sabres gave up, it's a very, very good deal.  Instantly gives either Eichel or Mittlestadt some help.

For those who don't think this is a good deal, well, head over to a Hurrican'ts board and watch the gnashing of teeth.

Just to add to your point...

For Kane the Sabres received a 2019 first-round pick, a conditional fourth-round pick in 2020 plus Daniel O’Regan.

Sabres then flipped forward Cliff Pu, a second-round pick in 2019, and third- and sixth-round picks in 2020 for Skinner.

So overall, Sabres went from Kane and picks in the 2nd+3rd+6th for Skinner and picks in the 1st+4th and flipped Pu for O'Reagan. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Dominator said:

Just to add to your point...

For Kane the Sabres received a 2019 first-round pick, a conditional fourth-round pick in 2020 plus Daniel O’Regan.

Sabres then flipped forward Cliff Pu, a second-round pick in 2019, and third- and sixth-round picks in 2020 for Skinner.

So overall, Sabres went from Kane and picks in the 2nd+3rd+6th for Skinner and picks in the 1st+4th and flipped Pu for O'Reagan. 

Please don't get me started on that Kane trade.  I wasn't happy then and I'm not happy now, even though it worked out to be a first NEXT YEAR instead of a second NEXT YEAR.

Just now, Doohickie said:

I love the numbness expressed in this response:

Oof.

I want the link to that!

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I want the link to that!

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/24256-ufa-trades-rfa/?do=findComment&comment=489701

On the other hand, Buffalo still has a reputation:

You know it’s pretty effin’ bad if you agree to wave your no trade to go to Buffalo.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Please don't get me started on that Kane trade.  I wasn't happy then and I'm not happy now, even though it worked out to be a first NEXT YEAR instead of a second NEXT YEAR.

Yeah I was not happy at all that day. But overall going from Kane (who wasn't going to be re-signed) to Skinner plus a 1st round pick is a win all day.

chart4.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Let's indulge for a moment and say Thompson pans out as a legitimate top 6 trigger man:

Skinner - Eichel - Thompson

Sheary - Mittelstadt - Reinhart

It's going to be a formidable top 6 in short order. And that's without a Nylander or Olofsson finding a way to make it, and of course, them making it is not out of the realm of possibility. 

Now THAT is my preferred top 6.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Innit though?  I'm almost giddy at the thought that we moved lottery tickets for a really good player that will be due for a contract.  It's like the movie Freaky Friday

The contract year thing is really a nice factor.

As is the downside protection of being able to trade him at the deadline for a reasonable return if needed, as noted upthrea

54 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think Carolina was with their backs against the wall on Skinner, they said they wanted to trade him.

Skinner supposed to have turned down the Kings, and maybe a few others, basically they took what they could get.

Got it a link on the Kings item?  

Not too many guys say no to LA but yes to Buffalo.  Maybe it’s a Dahlin butterfly effect.

17 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Shooting his career average last season would have given him 30 goals, FWIW.

-snip-

The team's save percentage was .897,  So if Jeff hopped on the ice and created the events he does with league average players at every other position for both teams, he would have had a positive plus-minus, and would have even been better than suggested likely, because his shot is far above league average. But his team's notoriously bad goaltending gave up 20 more goals than it would have if it was league average, adjusted for shot quality. 

-snip-

Carolina is a well-structured team, and he creates events without dragging very many people down at all, and tends to slightly improve their shot ratios, according to that chart.

Pardon my rambling

Great post.  

Holy mackerel I am psyched for this season   

And while JBott may or may not have been truthful with his statement about contract talks, I don’t think they would’ve given up a good prospect and 3 picks if they weren’t going to try to sign him.

Said previously on the board that Car took what they could get.  GM Don Waddell said. "We talked to every team in the League over the past four months, and ultimately the Sabres were the team that provided us with the best value in return, including three picks and a prospect we like in Cliff Pu."  Apparently no other team was willing to give "a bunch" for Skinner in the final year of his contract.  I love the deal and am hoping that he does will and we can sign him long-term.

6 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Said previously on the board that Car took what they could get.  GM Don Waddell said. "We talked to every team in the League over the past four months, and ultimately the Sabres were the team that provided us with the best value in return, including three picks and a prospect we like in Cliff Pu."  Apparently no other team was willing to give "a bunch" for Skinner in the final year of his contract.  I love the deal and am hoping that he does will and we can sign him long-term.

I saw on twitter that a hockey writer out of Calgary said that Skinner vetoed a bunch of trades in the lead up to the draft.  I don't think it was a matter of teams not willing to give up much>  I think Waddell needed to find a team that Skinner was willing to go to.  Fortunately, toronto nearby worked in our favor, it seems.

6 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Botterill needs to keep Waddell on speed dial.

It's good to have a moron that likes you working for an adversary.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Botterill needs to keep Waddell on speed dial.

It's good to have a moron that likes you working for an adversary.

See my reply added as yours was being typed.  There is some Hasek involved in this deal from a Carolina perspective.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

See my reply added as yours was being typed.  There is some Hasek involved in this deal from a Carolina perspective.

Doesn't change the fact that Waddellis an idiot.

Must be a very personable idiot because he keeps getting hired; but a personable idiotis still an idiot.

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

I saw on twitter that a hockey writer out of Calgary said that Skinner vetoed a bunch of trades in the lead up to the draft.  I don't think it was a matter of teams not willing to give up much>  I think Waddell needed to find a team that Skinner was willing to go to.  Fortunately, toronto nearby worked in our favor, it seems.

Yet another example of why giving a NTC to a non-elite guy is a huge mistake.  

23 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Not too many guys say no to LA but yes to Buffalo.  Maybe it’s a Dahlin butterfly effect.

Don't underrate Buffalo. Plenty of folks, myself included, would prefer Buffalo to, say, Brooklyn, you know?  And Buffalo is a lot closer to Skinner's hometown than LA.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Anything that makes Weave and Flagg happy at the same time is good in my book.

I hate Skinner. Like the trade.

He is the perfect left wing for Sam Reinhart at centre.

Not for the next eight months, you don't.

I don't have time to read through 5 pages right now, so I'll kept this short: this was a great trade from an asset perspective. We get a legit 1st liner for close to peanuts. 

But I still hate Skinner. I seriously hate him. I'll never be a fan even if he scores 30 on Jack's wing. 

Edit: And not to beat a dead horse, but if we still had O'Reilly, I'd be downright excited for the top of this forward group. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.