TRADE: Sabres acquire Jeff Skinner

Hoss

I saw some references to this on the Hurricane forum; the Carolina press put it this way:

Only rarely during the course of his career here did he get the true first-line minutes his offensive production appeared to deserve on paper and his unquestioned scoring ability appeared to deserve on the ice. It was a constant battle between player and coach. Skinner spent most of his tenure playing the same role he played as a rookie when Paul Maurice carefully protected him, never able to earn any more trust than that.

So apparently he said he wasn't re-signing and the Canes were up against the wall.  I think HCPH will value the scoring talent and not expect the defensive responsibility out of him and he'll do well here.

Edited by Doohickie

The Canes fans on hfboards are brilliant, so I hope you guys get to see some of their zaniness. 

When the board introduced liked posts and a ranking for the most-liked posters, they had a concerted, months long effort to get their posters to the top 10 or whatever, and then switched their avatars to spell out a word when you read the ranking list, and waited for people to notice. I don't remember what they said, but it was a hysterical thing to happen. 

Skinner is gonna be polarizing, and is a one-man-show, which is why I don't think he'll end up next to Jack even though you gotta try it out. This will likely play out closer to the general Kane scenario here than we'd expect, hopefully with more team success this time.

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The Canes fans on hfboards are brilliant, so I hope you guys get to see some of their zaniness. 

When the board introduced liked posts and a ranking for the most-liked posters, they had a concerted, months long effort to get their posters to the top 10 or whatever, and then switched their avatars to spell out a word when you read the ranking list, and waited for people to notice. I don't remember what they said, but it was a hysterical thing to happen. 

Skinner is gonna be polarizing, and is a one-man-show, which is why I don't think he'll end up next to Jack even though you gotta try it out. This will likely play out closer to the general Kane scenario here than we'd expect, hopefully with more team success this time.

I couldn't resist going on their board to say thanks haha

1 hour ago, Cheektorado said:

So if Skinner ends up being Jack's trigger man, who is the opposite winger that has the 2 way game to make that line elite?

It could be Reinhart. 

45 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Sheary starts with jack and skinner with the 2nd line center... maybe it is Reinhart. 

On the other hand..

A centre spine of Eichel - Reinhart - Mittelstadt is a tantalizing idea, and potentially elite down the line, if Sam becomes who he was born to be. 

29 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Do you think it's more likely the Sabres do or do not extend Skinner?

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Can we finally put to bed the “nobody wants to come to Buffalol” myth?

Off the top of my head, that’s Okposo, Pominville, Berglund, Bogosian, Gorges, Moulson, Hutton and now Skinner waiving or UFAing in recent years.

Not really a list of elite players considering the one's who have changed teams in recent years....some not even choosing to talk to us.

But, i agree that it should be put to rest.  

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Berglund Eichel Thompson

Skinner Reinhart Sheary

Rodrigues Mittelstadt Okposo

Girgensons/Wilson Sobotka/Larsson Baptiste/Bailey

...is something I’d like to watch.

I don't think I could more staunchly oppose a top line than I do that one haha

I see why you picked it though as the next two fall in seamlessly. 

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Do you think it's more likely the Sabres do or do not extend Skinner?

No idea, I mean on the ice there. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I don't have time to read through 5 pages right now, so I'll kept this short: this was a great trade from an asset perspective. We get a legit 1st liner for close to peanuts. 

But I still hate Skinner. I seriously hate him. I'll never be a fan even if he scores 30 on Jack's wing. 

Edit: And not to beat a dead horse, but if we still had O'Reilly, I'd be downright excited for the top of this forward group. 

Checked in to the thread to make sure younwere ok.  Good to see your head didn’t explode. And yeah to think about ROR and Skinner is just depressing.  Good trade and asset management but I hope it is not the end. 

We acquired:

• A LW, a position of need, that scored 37 goals in 16-17 being centered by Derek Ryan and Victor Rask.

In exchange for:

• A 3rd round OHL'er in Pu that maybe could have scored 32 points this year if he could break into the lineup, which wasn't likely.
  • A 2nd rounder in a draft where we likely have three first rounders.  This pick is about a 1 in 8 to 1 in 10 chance of being a top six forward or top four D and about a 4 in 5 chance of being 4th line or worse.
  • A 3rd rounder two drafts from now.   This pick is about a 1 in 24 chance of being a top six forward or top four D and about a 9 in 10 chance of being 4th line or worse.
  • A 6th rounder two drafts from now.  This pick is about a 1 in 50 chance of being a top six forward or top four D and about a 29 in 30 chance of being 4th line or worse.

Multiply all that out and you get Skinner for Cliff Pu and Carolina getting an ~82% chance of not landing a top 6F/top 4 D and a ~70% chance of landing only 4th line players or worse.  This is in our favor, really no matter what anybody thinks of Skinner.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.