How Rasmus Dahlin's demeanor will help the Sabres

LGR4GM

We know the locker room has issues. That said Dahlin doesn't seem to care about any of that. I would call him business-like in his approach to the game. He is a relentless worker. He doesn't practice he trains. He is probably either the best or second best player on the team by the end of this season. He's competitive AF. Why am I bringing attention to this? Because I think Dahlin will bend that room to him with just his humble demeanor and undeniable skill. I am not saying he's gonna be the captain, I think he is a quiet person. I am saying that he will push those around him to be better in their game prep, training, and game play. 

I guess it's possible, but I don't think an 18 year old kid is going to change the temperature of the room. I remember when the Jack Eichel hates to lose mantra was being parroted by lots of people on here and how he was going to single handedly carry the team on his back out of the gutter but that hasn't really worked so far. The supposedly staged hissy fit where he threw some trash cans around the locker room (or whatever it was) close enough for the press corps to hear the them clang against some lockers was a nice touch, but even after that feigned outrage he and the rest of the team seem to adjust to losing pretty well. Sure O'Reilly became emo and plays with razor blades in the corner while listening to NiN but that hasn't exactly inspired anyone to greatness either.

I think the team will improve as the cap anchors slowly get replaced by better younger/hungrier players and the talent level increases. The team will eventually start to win more games and winning more ultimately brings the team out of the funk. You rarely hear about locker room issues for winning teams. I'm sure they still have many of the same issues (partiers, personality conflicts, etc.) that fractured locker rooms have, the difference is that people don't care as much if the team is winning.

In spite of my questioning Jack's reaction to Rasmus, I think the fact that Jack is already in the room as a younger guy and one of the leaders in the room, will actually help Dahlin emerge as a leader.  If they don't turn into rivals (my concern in the other thread) but rather allies, that may empower Rasmus to join the leadership in the room.  From that standpoint, getting rid of ROR may be an imperative:  Get rid of rival leadership factions and turn the team over to the youth movement.  In that scenario, not giving Jack the C but keeping three As wouldn't be a knock on Jack but rather an invitation to the other young players to join Jack and help him shape the future team.  It sounds crazy, but maybe As go three of Jack, Reino, Mittelstadt, Risto, Dahlin, Guhle, etc., and the kids run the team. 

It will be contagious but the team still needs to come out in October and win games to keep the positive momentum IMO.

Or, like they did with Eichel, they'll sit back and relax and hope he carries the team.   

Or, like they did with Eichel, they'll sit back and relax and hope he carries the team.   

I think there's a difference in temperament between Eich and Dahlin that will preclude that.  I think Eich likes to be star, the center of attention, the hero.  So when the others fade out of sight it just gives him the opportunity to show what he can do himself.  (I mean, he has no problem with teamwork but doesn't mind the individual spotlight.)

Dahlin, on the other hand, works hard because he wants to win.  If others around him are not doing what is necessary to win, I kind of think Dahlin will have no problem calling them out (possibly not verbally, but by his example, maybe by just casting a frown on the object of his disdain).

It seems like Jack puts in the work, but doesn't go above and beyond to put in extra work because he doesn't feel he needs to.  From all accounts, Dahlin is the opposite:  Nothing is ever good enough, there's always room for improvement.  I could envision Dahlin doing windsprints at the end of practice to make sure he has the endurance to work hard at the end of a game.  If others marvel at his durability, he'd probably tell them they can do that too, just join him for windsprints after practice (note:  Made up scenario, but just to express the point).  I don't think you'll see Jack doing that, but I think Dahlin might.

I guess it's possible, but I don't think an 18 year old kid is going to change the temperature of the room. I remember when the Jack Eichel hates to lose mantra was being parroted by lots of people on here and how he was going to single handedly carry the team on his back out of the gutter but that hasn't really worked so far. The supposedly staged hissy fit where he threw some trash cans around the locker room (or whatever it was) close enough for the press corps to hear the them clang against some lockers was a nice touch, but even after that feigned outrage he and the rest of the team seem to adjust to losing pretty well. Sure O'Reilly became emo and plays with razor blades in the corner while listening to NiN but that hasn't exactly inspired anyone to greatness either.

I think the team will improve as the cap anchors slowly get replaced by better younger/hungrier players and the talent level increases. The team will eventually start to win more games and winning more ultimately brings the team out of the funk. You rarely hear about locker room issues for winning teams. I'm sure they still have many of the same issues (partiers, personality conflicts, etc.) that fractured locker rooms have, the difference is that people don't care as much if the team is winning.

Can't say this any better myself.  Great post.

I think there's a difference in temperament between Eich and Dahlin that will preclude that.  I think Eich likes to be star, the center of attention, the hero.  So when the others fade out of sight it just gives him the opportunity to show what he can do himself.  (I mean, he has no problem with teamwork but doesn't mind the individual spotlight.)

Dahlin, on the other hand, works hard because he wants to win.  If others around him are not doing what is necessary to win, I kind of think Dahlin will have no problem calling them out (possibly not verbally, but by his example, maybe by just casting a frown on the object of his disdain).

It seems like Jack puts in the work, but doesn't go above and beyond to put in extra work because he doesn't feel he needs to.  From all accounts, Dahlin is the opposite:  Nothing is ever good enough, there's always room for improvement.  I could envision Dahlin doing windsprints at the end of practice to make sure he has the endurance to work hard at the end of a game.  If others marvel at his durability, he'd probably tell them they can do that too, just join him for windsprints after practice (note:  Made up scenario, but just to express the point).  I don't think you'll see Jack doing that, but I think Dahlin might.

Hmmm, I'm not convinced.   Eichel seems more like the type to call guys out more so than Dahlin... especially considering Dahlin's age and rookie status.    Eichel's been around the block, hopefully he's figured some things out and will hold his teammates to a higher standard... maybe not by putting in extra work like wind sprints, but playing consistently with a certain level of urgency.

That said, it's still the little things that concern me about Eichel... his lazy line changes, body language, etc.. when things aren't going right.    Dahlin seems more mature than Eichel... more mature than most of the young players on the team.    Hopefully the other young guns respond well to that and follow rather than expect him to do all the work. 

But even at his young age, Dahlin has more gravitas than Eich.

Gravitas?  I'd argue he definitely has more gumption... but more gravitas?  Debatable.   Away from the ice, sure, but game time they're both pretty serious.   

God.  We have three and half more months of this banter.    I guess it could be worse... we could be talking about how many years until Brady Tkachuk is ready for the NHL. :)

I don't get how Jack can call guys out (or be a good captain) when he's guilty of the lazy line changes, body language, and hesitance to play defense....... and it's pure speculation on my part, but perhaps ROR has called out Jack on these shortcomings and that's what's part of the locker room rub. Perhaps ROR is attempting to hold Jack to a higher standard and it's causing some friction and a division "in the room". Jack is an elite athlete with superb skill and he's used to success, but I see some pouting behavior when things don't go right. Hopefully we won't see that in Dahlin, and Dahlin's demeanor will rub off on the players who need it most.  

I don't get how Jack can call guys out (or be a good captain) when he's guilty of the lazy line changes, body language, and hesitance to play defense....... and it's pure speculation on my part, but perhaps ROR has called out Jack on these shortcomings and that's what's part of the locker room rub. Perhaps ROR is attempting to hold Jack to a higher standard and it's causing some friction and a division "in the room". Jack is an elite athlete with superb skill and he's used to success, but I see some pouting behavior when things don't go right. Hopefully we won't see that in Dahlin, and Dahlin's demeanor will rub off on the players who need it most.  

Exactly.  Especially the bolded.

This is why I am not a fan of Jack wearing the C. He’s got to fix those things so he can lead by example first.

I think there's a difference in temperament between Eich and Dahlin that will preclude that. I think Eich likes to be star, the center of attention, the hero. So when the others fade out of sight it just gives him the opportunity to show what he can do himself. (I mean, he has no problem with teamwork but doesn't mind the individual spotlight.)

Dahlin, on the other hand, works hard because he wants to win. If others around him are not doing what is necessary to win, I kind of think Dahlin will have no problem calling them out (possibly not verbally, but by his example, maybe by just casting a frown on the object of his disdain).

It seems like Jack puts in the work, but doesn't go above and beyond to put in extra work because he doesn't feel he needs to. From all accounts, Dahlin is the opposite: Nothing is ever good enough, there's always room for improvement. I could envision Dahlin doing windsprints at the end of practice to make sure he has the endurance to work hard at the end of a game. If others marvel at his durability, he'd probably tell them they can do that too, just join him for windsprints after practice (note: Made up scenario, but just to express the point). I don't think you'll see Jack doing that, but I think Dahlin might.

Couldn't agree more. To me it's Dahlins best attribute. Crosby might not be the most skilled guy in the league, but he is the hardest worker.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.