Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

It was a late hit, an intentional hit, and a high hit, and you want to blame Seney?

Tom Wilson can suck my Harry Neale.

It wasn't late, and I don't know what a high hit even means. He didn't hit him in the head.

TW had to be skating toward Seney because he still had the puck. Wilson clips him as he "avoids" hitting him. I'm not saying it wasn't intentional, but Seney looks directly at him right before he turns around to send the puck into the corner and knows who's coming at him. He flopped down like a Euro  soccer player who was actually was shot.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

It wasn't late, and I don't know what a high hit even means. He didn't hit him in the head.

TW had to be skating toward Seney because he still had the puck. Wilson clips him as he "avoids" hitting him. I'm not saying it wasn't intentional, but Seney looks directly at him right before he turns around to send the puck into the corner and knows who's coming at him. He flopped down like a Euro  soccer player who was actually was shot.

It absolutely was late; Wilson easily could have turned towards the middle of the ice.

And he did hit him in the head--he just didn't hit him in the head *first*.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It absolutely was late; Wilson easily could have turned towards the middle of the ice.

And he did hit him in the head--he just didn't hit him in the head *first*.

Watch some other angles. He never touches his head.

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm not going to weigh in on this one, because I really don't care, but it's always been fascinating to me that people can never agree on what they see on hits like this. The debate can't really go anywhere after that.

Too true.

Just under 5 hours left on the Nylander saga, at least, for the Dec. 1st signing deadline.

Hard to say really what will happen. But if he is going to be moved, I expect it by 3pm EST to allow any potential trade partner a couple hours to clean up a contract.

That being said, and while I know many feel Toronto's signing of Tavares was a boone, that signing is actually going to cause cap casualties, either starting today or in the up coming off season. Personally, I believe it was a foolish move given the up and coming contracts of their young star ELC's. But hey, I could be wrong.

We'll be interesting in the next 8 months as it all plays out I guess.

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

Um, he got hit from behind. No player is responsible for expecting to get hit from behind there. It's one thing to look for where players are on the ice for positional reasons. But he has no reason to turn around and face Wilson to absorb a hit. Wilson decided to take a shot at a player in a defenseless position. It's not a play where the hit being late or to the head is even remotely relevant. It was predatory. 

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It was illegal in that it was from behind. I don't know how you could think otherwise. But I don't know if it's anything more than that. 

It was late, from behind on a defenseless player. The league is afraid of itself. Someone mentioned DPOS may have backed themselves into a corner because that’s like a five-game hit but since Wilson has repeat offender status they would’ve had to suspend him far more.

36 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Um, he got hit from behind. No player is responsible for expecting to get hit from behind there. It's one thing to look for where players are on the ice for positional reasons. But he has no reason to turn around and face Wilson to absorb a hit. Wilson decided to take a shot at a player in a defenseless position. It's not a play where the hit being late or to the head is even remotely relevant. It was predatory. 

Except for when the player sees a guy coming right towards him and turns his back on him the instant before he gets there. It happens every game all game long and it drives me crazy. Instead of getting ready for a hit, guys try to draw a penalty.

33 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It was illegal in that it was from behind. I don't know how you could think otherwise. But I don't know if it's anything more than that. 

He got a penalty and ejected. Glad there was nothing more.

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Except for when the player sees a guy coming right towards him and turns his back on him the instant before he gets there. It happens every game all game long and it drives me crazy. Instead of getting ready for a hit, guys try to draw a penalty.

I agree that that stuff happens, particularly on the boards, but I absolutely do not think that's what was going on in this case. Guys are focused on playing hockey, and not every player knows exactly where Tom Wilson and everyone else is on the ice at all times. That's Gretzky level sh*t. 

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

You're literally arguing that the way hockey is played is wrong. It happens every game because that's how you play hockey. He's in the offensive zone and the onus is on the hitter to avoid hitting players from behind. There's no way that player isn't going to turn his back and follow the play offensively: Wilson is not close enough to be a threat at the time he turns. But Wilson already has him lined up and, despite having loads of time, elects to hit him from behind anyway. 

Wilson is capable of reading plays and not making dirty hits. He's an NHL player with NHL reaction speeds. 

He chose to do it anyway. Because he's a sociopath.

Anyway, I look forward to people defending him when he does this to one of our players soon. 

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I agree that that stuff happens, particularly on the boards, but I absolutely do not think that's what was going on in this case. Guys are focused on playing hockey, and not every player knows exactly where Tom Wilson and everyone else is on the ice at all times. That's Gretzky level sh*t. 

C'mon. He may not have known it was TW (I beleive he did), but he knew someone was headed right for him. That's hockey 101. Seney looked right at TW and it was the reason he had to even get rid of the puck into the corner.

Just now, darksabre said:

This is the post of a dying brain. 

Calm down, Beavis.

23 minutes ago, SwampD said:

C'mon. He may not have known it was TW (I beleive he did), but he knew someone was headed right for him. That's hockey 101. Seney looked right at TW and it was the reason he had to even get rid of the puck into the corner.

Calm down, Beavis.

No, it is ridiculously rare and not a hockey play for a player to be hit in the back in that part of the ice. It is a part of every offensive play to be focused on what your team is doing with the puck.

Is Seney injured?

Hockey is a violent fast paced contact sport.  A guy gets bumped in the back of the shoulder and everybody loses their minds because it's Tom Wilson.   

My goodness, what a world we live in.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Is Seney injured?

Hockey is a violent fast paced contact sport.  A guy gets bumped in the back of the shoulder and everybody loses their minds because it's Tom Wilson.   

Every once in a while I forget how bad your opinions are.

12 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Is Seney injured?

Either you think the hit was dangerous or not. Whether the player was injured shouldn't matter. Unless your contention is that the player wasn't injured and therefore it wasn't a dangerous hit, which would be preposterously poor reasoning. 

The hit broke one or two rules that have been in the NHL for a long time, and it was committed by a guy who has injured many people and been suspended many times, so of course it's going to get talked about, and that doesn't mean people talking about it are "sissies" and that the world these days smh PC soft go watch foot fairies.