Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

8 hours ago, darksabre said:

Nothing better than earning a suspension in preseason.

This is the dark side of the game, Ekblad with his concussion issues is in no way shape or form wanting or expecting to get in a fight here. I'm hoping for a max suspension for Domi but unfortunately it will probably be next to nothing. If the league and Player Safety is truly wanting to cut back on the needless violence, a 10 game regular season suspension should be the minimum given

8 minutes ago, shrader said:

That's what qualifies as a sucker punch these days?  Stupid, yes, but hardly what I was expecting after I read the description.

Ekblad had no interest in fighting, they were tied up because Domi wouldn't let go, then he quickly drops his glove off and punches Ekblad.  Totally a sucker punch

38 minutes ago, shrader said:

That's what qualifies as a sucker punch these days?  Stupid, yes, but hardly what I was expecting after I read the description.

So a guy with both gloves on looking 90degrees to the left who gets suddenly punched in the face hard enough to make him bleed by the other guy has not been sucker punched? 

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So a guy with both gloves on looking 90degrees to the left who gets suddenly punched in the face hard enough to make him bleed by the other guy has not been sucker punched? 

giphy.gif

I realize that he's not interested in fighting, but if a guy is tying you up like that, maybe, just maybe you should keep your eye on him instead of looking to the ref for help.  I feel like there was more than enough warning for Ekblad to call that one a sucker punch.  It's mostly semantics though.  Either way, the whole thing is pretty cheap from Domi.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Domi dropped his glove, and punched within the span of a second. If he had his glove on and jabbed Ekblad, I could see your side. The fact he dropped and punched immediately IMPO makes it a sucker punch. 

They were squared up for a decent amount of time before that though.  What you're arguing there actually seems like the reverse of what would qualify in my mind.  Dropping the gloves and then throwing the punch takes longer than throwing a shot with the gloves still on.  The dropping of the gloves paired up with being tied up for a bit is exactly the warning I'm talking about.  Typically that would tell the player "hey, maybe I should protect myself".  Don't look away while somebody is up in your face.

Cheap?  Yes.  Sucker punch?  No.  Again, semantics.

18 minutes ago, sabills said:

I'd say a sucker punch is any time someone throws a punch you aren't expecting. Since Ekblad had already said no to the fight, there's no reason for him to expect Domi to drop his glove and take a shot. ESPECIALLY in a freakin' preseason game.

There needs to be some line when it comes to expectation though.  Two hockey players tied up and a punch gets thrown.  Where have I seen that before?  Oh yeah, pretty much every single game I've ever watched.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

There needs to be some line when it comes to expectation though.  Two hockey players tied up and a punch gets thrown.  Where have I seen that before?  Oh yeah, pretty much every single game I've ever watched.

I'm not going to claim to have any sort of personal experience with the unwritten rules of hockey, but I think its pretty standard that you don't start throwing unless the other guy wants to go. There's always a back and forth of "you wanna go?" then a  yeah, they both drop the gloves, and its a fight. If you go up to a guy and says "no" and you drop and throw anyways? You're a dick.

Show me some other examples of a guy dropping his gloves and throwing before the other guy agrees, and I'll show you more sucker punches.

Edited by sabills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

It's one thing if he gives him a jab to the face with his glove on... but he drops his glove and pops him in one motion... that's frowned upon these days.

pre-2000's nobody would've batted an eye at it.