Round 3: 2018 NHL Playoffs

LGR4GM

How do they dump a guy w/ a NTC or a NMC? If the player won't waive that condition, there really isn't anything the GM can do about it.

Who in their right mind gave Bieksa a NTC is beyond me. He’s a stay at home defenseman who is slow and Yandle has defensive issues in his game and isn’t that great.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I could see Pittsburgh losing Fleury because they could only protect one but they could have moved him for something else and let Vegas choose another player. All these GM’s had time to make moves with their rosters and didn’t. I’m getting tired of hearing gift wrapped players.

Go back and look at who Anaheim protected. Vermette and Bieksa. Maybe their no trade clause was an issue but let’s face it both players are garbage.

Look at Calgary we chose Engelland which we didn’t have to because he would have signed here anyway. We could have had Brouwer, Stajan, Versteeg, Stone or Elliot. And use them for trades later.

Nashville protects Jarnkrok

Florida protects Yandle and Petrovic.

Minny protects an aging Pominville

St. Louis protects Reaves

Toronto protects Martin

Washington protects Eller who has been third line material

Winnipeg protects Lowry who is invisible

Go back and look at the expansion lists. You guys can see for yourself at all the blunders.

Sorry you watch this player in practice daily you have to have a clue of what he brings. It’s like when Vegas claimed Carpenter off waivers from San Jose you can see what he had in practice and that made Leipsic expendable.

You're on a Sabres board with a Sabres screen name... yet you are using "we" in reference to the Knights.

You're on a Sabres board with a Sabres screen name... yet you are using "we" in reference to the Knights.

I’m still a Sabres fan but Buffalo has been brutal to watch for almost my whole life. I moved to Vegas in 89 and was still a diehard fan until we got the Knights here. I still like the Sabres but come on. Ownership issues, personnel issues, GM issues, player issues. They had Scotty Bowman and they get Barrasso, Housley , Andreychuck and all get traded away. They finally have a great team in 99 and they don’t go out and get more offensive help with the best goalie in Hasek. Then you let 2 of your best players walk during free agency and then you wonder why this team has issues. Do you want me to talk about the Bills because besides the Jim Kelly years the football team is like the San Diego Padres a complete joke. If ownership doesn’t want to spend money to try to put the best team available out then why own the team. You make way more money when you are winning and people want your merchandise. Yes you have people that were put in positions that probably should of never been there in the first place. I know at least they tried to spend to the cap some years. I don’t know what happened with Bill Polian when he was here but they have had some really bad coaches, GM’s and players ever since.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

You ain't gonna win this fight on a Sabres message board. You basically committed high treason, leaving the Sabres for higher ground. We understand you moved there but nobody on this board wants to hear about how wonderful it is to finally root for a winner while we all suffer with this craptastic franchise. You'd be best off to leave it alone.

You ain't gonna win this fight on a Sabres message board. You basically committed high treason, leaving the Sabres for higher ground. We understand you moved there but nobody on this board wants to hear about how wonderful it is to finally root for a winner while we all suffer with this craptastic franchise. You'd be best off to leave it alone.

Fair enough but just stating the facts about why it’s been bad for way too damn long and it’s a shame because Buffalo fans deserve better. I will say this much at least Pegula is trying to fix both franchises. Does he finally have the right people in place? Only time will tell. I’m super happy that Buffalo finally won the lottery cause it’s about damn time. The draft lottery in sports is stupid anyways. I get it but it’s a tough sell for your fans as it’s usually not a quick turnaround.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Yep. For 500 million, expansion teams should be given a fighting chance. It's good for the league.

I understand Sabres fan's bitterness. It sucks the biggest dick ever that we have to sit here and watch this. Shame on other GMs for not doing a better job. Botterill is going to need to do something innovative this offseason. Otherwise he'll be shown the door. I don't expect a cup but a few big moves are required to get this team competitive.

I hate to be this way, but I really don't see Botterill doing anything approaching innovative, or daring, or creative, and he won't be close to being on the hot seat. He's behaving very much like the GM TM kind of warned us about, the GM he didn't want to be — the GM who takes it slow and can buy himself five years. It's old school thinking — "it takes time." When Vegas has shown it really doesn't have to. Botterill is straight out of PSE casting. I hope to be wrong.

I hate to be this way, but I really don't see Botterill doing anything approaching innovative, or daring, or creative, and he won't be close to being on the hot seat. He's behaving very much like the GM TM kind of warned us about, the GM he didn't want to be — the GM who takes it slow and can buy himself five years. It's old school thinking — "it takes time." When Vegas has shown it really doesn't have to. Botterill is straight out of PSE casting. I hope to be wrong.

We shall see. I’m a big build thru the draft type of guy but you better have some great scouts and some serious eye for talent. You look at Buffalos drafting they hardly hit on players outside the first round. They need to be finding players all throughout the draft. Then you make a few shrewd trades here and there. I have to admit Murray was a risk taker and he tried to speed up the rebuild but he gave away too many high picks along the way and really didn’t have the eye for talent. With the first rounds picks almost any of us could have made the Eichel and Reinhart picks.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

This is what I hear every time someone complains about Vegas:

It's all sour grapes.  It happened.  They are winning. 

It's going to be interesting to see people all stuck in "how it's supposed to be" have to deal with them as Stanley Cup champs.

I hope you have attended some games here in Vegas because if you haven’t you have no clue of what your talking about. I have been at almost every game this season and the only idiot fans I have seen all season were Philly fans. Yes their are idiots in every building. I remember games at the Aud where there were more fights in the stands then on the ice.

was at the Boston and sabres games in October. Both games a group of vegas fans were thrown out. The sabres game we had stuff thrown at us, people in the aisles screamed f you to young sabres fans, running up in peoples faces screaming at them in front if their family, the mascot that walks around with the cheerleaders before the game knocked my friends hat on the floor and stepped on it(lol). I can understand opposing fans getting poor treatment but that was probably the worst away stadium/arena experience we've had.

was at the Boston and sabres games in October. Both games a group of vegas fans were thrown out. The sabres game we had stuff thrown at us, people in the aisles screamed f you to young sabres fans, running up in peoples faces screaming at them in front if their family, the mascot that walks around with the cheerleaders before the game knocked my friends hat on the floor and stepped on it(lol). I can understand opposing fans getting poor treatment but that was probably the worst away stadium/arena experience we've had.

Wow I have heard of one issue before and some idiots heckling other teams fans but sorry to hear about some idiots ruining your experience. I was there in my Sabres gear and no one said to me.

I’m still a Sabres fan but Buffalo has been brutal to watch for almost my whole life. I moved to Vegas in 89 and was still a diehard fan until we got the Knights here. I still like the Sabres but come on. Ownership issues, personnel issues, GM issues, player issues. They had Scotty Bowman and they get Barrasso, Housley , Andreychuck and all get traded away. They finally have a great team in 99 and they don’t go out and get more offensive help with the best goalie in Hasek. Then you let 2 of your best players walk during free agency and then you wonder why this team has issues. Do you want me to talk about the Bills because besides the Jim Kelly years the football team is like the San Diego Padres a complete joke. If ownership doesn’t want to spend money to try to put the best team available out then why own the team. You make way more money when you are winning and people want your merchandise. Yes you have people that were put in positions that probably should of never been there in the first place. I know at least they tried to spend to the cap some years. I don’t know what happened with Bill Polian when he was here but they have had some really bad coaches, GM’s and players ever since.

If you’ve been around that long, you know

A) the Sabres have not been brutal almost your entire life, and

B) sports fandom doesn’t work this way; the second you started referring to the Knights as “we,” you stopped being a Sabres fan. You are a bandwagon-jumper. Once you have traded in your membership in our tribe for a shiny new toy there is no going back.

You have become the cheating husband. Enjoy your floozie. Can’t wait until your weekend in Vegas wears off and you are stuck with a chain-smoker whose ass is rapidly ballooning to the size one of D4rk’s favourite cars.

The protection list rules were unfair... letting teams protectt 7F and 3D or 4F and 4D. Why not just let each team protect 10 skaters?

Teams like Minnesota and Anaheim were screwed because they did a nice job of building a deep stable of young quality defensemen.

Where would Vegas be without Tuch, Theodore, and Marcchesault? Probably on the back nine at

Desert Pines.... but no... the league wanted them to have a deep blueline right out of the gate because that's the most difficult position to build depth organically.

As a result teams were willing to give up F assets in order to protect their bluelines.... Marcchesault, Tuch, Karlsson, etc.

Edited by pi2000

The protection list rules were unfair... letting teams protectt 7F and 3D or 4F and 4D. Why not just let each team protect 10 skaters?

Teams like Minnesota and Anaheim were screwed because they did a nice job of building a deep stable of young quality defensemen.

Where would Vegas be without Tuch, Theodore, and Marcchesault? Probably on the back nine at

Desert Pines.... but no... the league wanted them to have a deep blueline right out of the gate because that's the most difficult position to build depth organically.

As a result teams were willing to give up F assets in order to protect their bluelines.... Marcchesault, Tuch, Karlsson, etc.

Anaheim was not screwed for building a deep blue line. They were screwed because they thought giving an obviously decrepit Bieksa a NMC was a good idea.

Wow I have heard of one issue before and some idiots heckling other teams fans but sorry to hear about some idiots ruining your experience. I was there in my Sabres gear and no one said ###### to me.

we were there with two friends from vegas. They were in regular clothes, my buddy had a sabres hat, and I had on a vegas knights hoodie(was 85 outside I didn't prepare for a hockey game so I had to buy a hoodie). We must have been in a bad section. Didn't turn me off to the place tho. I love vegas and we're gonna go to the sabres and bills games there when ever they play. Go knights.

we were there with two friends from vegas. They were in regular clothes, my buddy had a sabres hat, and I had on a vegas knights hoodie(was 85 outside I didn't prepare for a hockey game so I had to buy a hoodie). We must have been in a bad section. Didn't turn me off to the place tho. I love vegas and we're gonna go to the sabres and bills games there when ever they play. Go knights.

Is the arena that cold? I wear long sleeve T's in the middle of the WNY winter with no temperature issue inside the arena.

If you’ve been around that long, you know

A) the Sabres have not been brutal almost your entire life, and

B) sports fandom doesn’t work this way; the second you started referring to the Knights as “we,” you stopped being a Sabres fan. You are a bandwagon-jumper. Once you have traded in your membership in our tribe for a shiny new toy there is no going back.

You have become the cheating husband. Enjoy your floozie. Can’t wait until your weekend in Vegas wears off and you are stuck with a chain-smoker whose ass is rapidly ballooning to the size one of D4rk’s favourite cars.

I had Preds season tickets for the past decade and had a hell of a fun time going to those games over the years and rooting for the Preds. Yet I'll never refer to them as "we." ….the one game per year when the Sabres were in town, I was wearing Sabres gear sitting behind the Sabres bench (i.e., not my normal seats) rooting for our vastly undermanned team of lovable losers.  :)

In SabresBills defense, if I lived in Vegas right now I'm sure I'd be rooting for them.

I had Preds season tickets for the past decade and had a hell of a fun time going to those games over the years and rooting for the Preds. Yet I'll never refer to them as "we." ….the one game per year when the Sabres were in town, I was wearing Sabres gear sitting behind the Sabres bench (i.e., not my normal seats) rooting for our vastly undermanned team of lovable losers. :)

In SabresBills defense, if I lived in Vegas right now I'm sure I'd be rooting for them.

I can tell you that almost every single hockey player in Vegas has been rooting for Vegas so I guess you have a lot of bandwagon jumpers. I was there too wearing Sabres gear but let’s face it one organization knows how to do things while the other one seems like it’s a revolving door

I can tell you that almost every single hockey player in Vegas has been rooting for Vegas so I guess you have a lot of bandwagon jumpers. I was there too wearing Sabres gear but let’s face it one organization knows how to do things while the other one seems like it’s a revolving door

Dude. C'mon. You can tell all this from not even one full season?… with players they didn't draft?… with players they didn't develop?… or have to retain who earned a big contract?… or countless other things that go into being a mature team?

K

Edited by SwampD

One organization has done things for 1 year.  It's probably time to not be so high and mighty about things and enjoy the ride.  I like that Vegas has success but it remains to be seen what season 2 looks like.  Keep in mind that next season they will have the pressure of being compared to this seasons team.  As soon as they stumble they will be answering questions about why they, as a second year team, haven't grown and learned from their incredible first season.  At the moment Vegas has arrived at a door, until they have a chance to go through one no one will know if it will be a revolving door or not.

Also, you are really more VegasBillsFan now right?

Are you kidding?  You're out-smugging Winnipeg.  That's hard to do--before this, I thought only Torontonians were capable of it.

Maybe it's time to go find a Knights board.

This has been an entertaining read.  Between the Shraderenfreud and the fanaticism.  (I love that this thread has given us a use for shraderenfreud)

This thread further proves the theory that new converts are always the most fervent in any religion.

Not all Winnipeg fans are smug. How can you be we are about to get knocked out of the playoffs?

Jets will win today but won't win the series. 

MAF won the series for them. We're being out-goalied.

Edited by Ducky

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.