Ryan O'Reilly: "Stuck with the mindset of losing"

LGR4GM

I would totally try to get Joe Thornton in here. Money talks. Get it done Botterill.

There's a reason Boston never did anything when he was the Captain & why the Sharks actually finally exceeded expectations for once in '15-'16. Thornton AIN'T a leader.

There's a reason Boston never did anything when he was the Captain & why the Sharks actually finally exceeded expectations for once in '15-'16. Thornton AIN'T a leader.

Wasn't he really young in Boston? And good point about the SJ 'C', forgot about that

Wow, can't believe Thornton used to be a high 30g/season guy. Crazy to think about

Wasn't he really young in Boston? And good point about the SJ 'C', forgot about that

Wow, can't believe Thornton used to be a high 30g/season guy. Crazy to think about

He was young. And though he had very good regular seasons in Boston he ALWAYS disappeared in the playoffs. There's a reason they were willing to let him go for a bunch of good but not great players.

Can't believe how many here are raking him over the coals for giving his honest opinion. He obviously hates losing and this season was hard on him.

Fans often lose sight of the fact these are real people who feel real emotions and expect them to just be able to handle every situation.

Maybe if more teammates (and coaches) hated losing as much as he did, they wouldn't be in this situation.

Amen, brother. Some fans are so lacking in depth at times. If only we were more upbeat the problems would go away. Please take that rah,rah stuff back to little league or Hollywood it sells good at the movies. Other than Jack there's no more important player on this team. Give Jack the "C" but don't underestimate the the importance of ROR's play.

I doubt the return for ROR is equal to his actual on ice value, but I’m cynical that we’ll ever see another real hockey trade again. And this team doesn’t have enough talent to afford to downgrade O’Reilly or anyone else.

He’s right and we are killing the messenger, but he also might need to go. I’ll be disappointed. He’s a helluva player and the consequences of this organization accepting losing for an undefined period of time have ruined him for Buffalo.

The team never tanked while he was here, and had 81 points his first season in Buffalo.  He's not a victim.  And if he can't get it together and be part of the solution, then he's part of the problem.  

He's basically a running gag at this point with his post-game comments.  "I've got to be better.  I feel so bad.  I've got to be better.  No one feels worse than me."  We get it, Ryan.  Can you please just play better and/or help your teammates play better instead of being literally the most depressing pro athlete I've ever heard be interviewed?  

If his approach to leadership is self-flagellation then it's no wonder we're full of headcases here.  The team crumbles at the first sign of adversity and then forgets what they're doing 1 game after a win.

The team never tanked while he was here, and had 81 points his first season in Buffalo. He's not a victim. And if he can't get it together and be part of the solution, then he's part of the problem.

He's basically a running gag at this point with his post-game comments. "I've got to be better. I feel so bad. I've got to be better. No one feels worse than me." We get it, Ryan. Can you please just play better and/or help your teammates play better instead of being literally the most depressing pro athlete I've ever heard be interviewed?

If his approach to leadership is self-flagellation then it's no wonder we're full of headcases here. The team crumbles at the first sign of adversity and then forgets what they're doing 1 game after a win.

Sorry but he plays pretty darn good on a pretty darn bad hockey team. If he's so depressing interviewed well his teammates are pretty depressing to watch play. So tired of this super fan rah,rah bs. Edited by Radar

Sorry but he plays pretty darn good on a pretty darn bad hockey team. If he's so depressing interviewed well his teammates are pretty depressing to watch play. So tired of this super fan rah,rah bs.

"Pretty darn good" = starting to lead and contribute in January after the season was already effectively lost, right?

He's paid and expected to be a leader.  He finally found his game too late to turn the season around and when he opens his mouth it's just a bunch of "woe is me."  I'd love a post-game interview where he actually plants a flag and says we're going to win our next game.  Or that we *will* be better.  Instead he only talks about himself, and how lousy he is.

It's not "rah-rah" either.  It's literally proven that optimistic people are generally more successful.  That's not even hard to grasp; would you rather be on a project with the most optimistic/positive person in your office or the most pessimistic/negative one?   

If you're wearing a letter, your mindset and quotes should be "We're going to work hard.  We're going to be prepared.  We're going to play 60 minutes.  We're going to win."  Because *that's* someone you'd want to play with.  Everything else about should/could/sorry is just BS.

"Pretty darn good" = starting to lead and contribute in January after the season was already effectively lost, right?

He's paid and expected to be a leader. He finally found his game too late to turn the season around and when he opens his mouth it's just a bunch of "woe is me." I'd love a post-game interview where he actually plants a flag and says we're going to win our next game. Or that we *will* be better. Instead he only talks about himself, and how lousy he is.

It's not "rah-rah" either. It's literally proven that optimistic people are generally more successful. That's not even hard to grasp; would you rather be on a project with the most optimistic/positive person in your office or the most pessimistic/negative one?

If you're wearing a letter, your mindset and quotes should be "We're going to work hard. We're going to be prepared. We're going to play 60 minutes. We're going to win." Because *that's* someone you'd want to play with. Everything else about should/could/sorry is just BS.

It’s interesting that the proper mindset appears to be what Eichel is gravitating towards after the immature spazz that marked the end of last year.

O’Reilly’s voice isn’t working. O’Reilly’s voice hasn’t changed.

Coach and GM says the players have to change.

I think O’Reilly is a helluva player on the ice, but it’s getting harder not to connect the dots.

Edited by dudacek

He's paid and expected to be a leader.  He finally found his game too late to turn the season around and when he opens his mouth it's just a bunch of "woe is me."  I'd love a post-game interview where he actually plants a flag and says we're going to win our next game.  Or that we *will* be better.  Instead he only talks about himself, and how lousy he is.

It's not "rah-rah" either.  It's literally proven that optimistic people are generally more successful.  That's not even hard to grasp; would you rather be on a project with the most optimistic/positive person in your office or the most pessimistic/negative one?   

If you're wearing a letter, your mindset and quotes should be "We're going to work hard.  We're going to be prepared.  We're going to play 60 minutes.  We're going to win."  Because *that's* someone you'd want to play with.  Everything else about should/could/sorry is just BS.

Good post. I had a big post griping about O'Reilly earlier this season too for the same thing. He complained and wanted out of Colorado because he believed he was worth more than they thought he was; he specifically said he wanted to be a bigger part of a team, a leader, and more ice time. He gets here, gets all that, and...? Come on man

This is 100% true too

Edited by Jokertecken

Sorry but he plays pretty darn good on a pretty darn bad hockey team. If he's so depressing interviewed well his teammates are pretty depressing to watch play. So tired of this super fan rah,rah bs.

He doesn't have to rah rah but just being negative isn't going to change anything.

Ok, let's trade ROR. I'm almost wanting it at this point so I don't have to listen to whiners and complaints about players who aren't positive enough. Guess I need to get back to my self help books and rebuild my enthusiasm. These negative comments by negative fans about negative attitudes is making me feel very negative.

Ok, let's trade ROR. I'm almost wanting it at this point so I don't have to listen to whiners and complaints about players who aren't positive enough. Guess I need to get back to my self help books and rebuild my enthusiasm. These negative comments by negative fans about negative attitudes is making me feel very negative.

Should eat an avocado and listen to this, I hear it helps

It isn't about just being positive. It's about leading. We suck, here's how we're going to fix it as players.

It isn't about just being positive. It's about leading. We suck, here's how we're going to fix it as players.

I understand but we seem to be aiming our guns at one of the two or three guys who don't suck. I'm not nominating Ryan for captaincy but I still value what players do on the ice more than how inspiring they are in an interview.

So what are you actually proposing?  We could stay the course but we just became the first NHL team in history to finish 31st.  We could get *more* negative, but ROR just said he lost his love for the game at points this season so I'm not sure that's even possible. 

Or we could push for leadership that is bold, positive, and assertive rather than the passive apologetic gloom we've been stuck with for years.

"We should do better"

"We know we could do more"

"Everyone knows we need to give more effort"

Or

"We are going to work our @sses off and win." 

See the difference?

So what are you actually proposing?  We could stay the course but we just became the first NHL team in history to finish 31st.  We could get *more* negative, but ROR just said he lost his love for the game at points this season so I'm not sure that's even possible. 

Or we could push for leadership that is bold, positive, and assertive rather than the passive apologetic gloom we've been stuck with for years.

"We should do better"

"We know we could do more"

"Everyone knows we need to give more effort"

Or

"We are going to work our @sses off and win." 

See the difference?

There is no difference if everyone on the team is not thinking the same way. Helps to have something to play for after the 1st of the year.

Good post. I had a big post griping about O'Reilly earlier this season too for the same thing. He complained and wanted out of Colorado because he believed he was worth more than they thought he was; he specifically said he wanted to be a bigger part of a team, a leader, and more ice time. He gets here, gets all that, and...? Come on man

This is 100% true too

He was given that here. IMHO, he has shown he should continue to have the 1st & 3rd of those items. Also, IMHO, he has demonstrated he isn't 'C' material. Let him keep the 'A' unless somebody else flat out rips it from him (figuratively, not literally) by showing they deserve it more.

There's no shame in being a great player but not someone able to rally the troops to bring more than they thought they had to give. Not everyone can be Mark Messier. Perreault was a horrible choice for captain as well. But when Gare & Schoenfeld have just been sent packing, somebody has to wear it.

when he opens his mouth it's just a bunch of "woe is me."  I'd love a post-game interview where he actually plants a flag and says we're going to win our next game.  Or that we *will* be better.  Instead he only talks about himself, and how lousy he is.

O’Reilly’s voice isn’t working. O’Reilly’s voice hasn’t changed.

I think O’Reilly is a helluva player on the ice, but it’s getting harder not to connect the dots.

It's difficult to accept that a player that good, with numbers that are indisputably that valuable (60 point 2-way center who is killer on the dot), could be someone that needs to be moved.

And yet.

Perreault was a horrible choice for captain as well. But when Gare & Schoenfeld have just been sent packing, somebody has to wear it.

Yep.

The lost love component is the money quote, IMHO. It almost sounds like a calculated effort to force a trade.

Also — if ROR wants out and the differences are irreconcilable, he has to go. If these issues can be fixed, better to try and rehab him, I think. Because the Sabres will be a worse team on paper without him. (It's been established that when Botterill has to make a move, he will be raked over the coals.) Look at what you lose: a 60-point two-way center who skates on the power play top unit and kills penalties, eats up minutes, leads the league in faceoffs and didn't take a single penalty this year that led to the Sabres being shorthanded.

If you are correct, and he is lobbying for a trade, the bolded is even more important. Wouldn't want any of the young players getting the impression they can force their way out of town with a simple well-placed comment.

You're all stuck here, !

It may indeed be that he absolutely has to be moved. I suppose we'll see.

And he had a really good season. Such a weird point in Sabres fandom.

I have been critical of O'Reilly on this board for over a year. I don't just repeat what others have said about him..it is when I watch him that I DO see him as being slow...I DO see very little he brings to the transition game, and I DO see him as being not as good as advertised defensively (many times I have seen goals scored against the sabres where it was his lack of effort, or lack of speed you want from a center..that left him 2-3 feet behind the eventual goal scorer.)  If, IF the Sabres do trade him and get a good return I will not be upset. 

However I have thought about my position on him a little lately.  The guy does have the ability to score goals, more than you would expect form a 2nd round pick.  If it is true that he does have more to give, then I'd want to see that.

So what am I rambling about?  I'm not going to be upset at all if he is traded. On the other hand, if he is here I'll also be very willing to have him prove my criticism wrong..and I think you COULD get 30 goals out of him if things fall the right way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.