#Caseywatch

Crusader1969

IIRC he only needs to play one game to burn a year off his ELC.

I read into it last night. There's a cutout for prospects of a certain age that burns their year with 1 game, I think Mittelstadt fits that cutout. I'll find the relevant (I think) bit

In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

I read into it last night. There's a cutout for prospects of a certain age that burns their year with 1 game, I think Mittelstadt fits that cutout. I'll find the relevant (I think) bit

In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all circumstances.

So, theoretically, the Sabres and Mittlestat could agree to NOT burn a year. If I'm reading that right, anyways. Would he consider that?

So, theoretically, the Sabres and Mittlestat could agree to NOT burn a year. If I'm reading that right, anyways. Would he consider that?

That's not quite what it says. Essentially, as long as he is 18 (or a young 19), the ELC will be extended one year. It's automatic. The only thing that is subject to change is things like Paragraph 1 salary, games played bonuses, etc. So they could change some of the terms of the contract. But that one year extension is not something either party can refuse. 

Casey is 19 and has a November birthday, so if he signs his ELC this year and only plays one game then it burns a year. 

what possibly could be taking so long?

There was a report (Friedman?) that they were expecting an answer this weekend.

I’d normally say if he hadn’t signed by now he isn’t signing, but the coaching change may have played into this.

Maybe he is waiting to see who the next HC will be at Minnesota? The Alumni wants Bob Motzko, but he is coaching at his alma mater St Cloud I wonder if he leaves that situation.

Also we are 20 Minutes Away from Borgen Watch as Air Force leads St Cloud 2-0 after 2 periods

So let's get Mittelstadt and Borgen to sign the ELC. Play a handful of games with the Sabres. Go to the Amerks for the playoffs (maybe get into a few games), and then do what you can to break the big-league lineup next season. Go for it! JBot -- dial-up the droid construct and make the call -- let's burn a year! Fire!

So let's get Mittelstadt and Borgen to sign the ELC. Play a handful of games with the Sabres. Go to the Amerks for the playoffs (maybe get into a few games), and then do what you can to break the big-league lineup next season. Go for it! JBot -- dial-up the droid construct and make the call -- let's burn a year! Fire!

They can’t. If they play in Buffalo they are ineligible to play in Rochester for the playoffs.

They need to sign ATOs to do that

Here is the video from The Headlines

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/headlines-blackhawks-quenneville-future-air/

The Mittelstadt Part is the last 35 seconds.

It sounds like he is going back...

I listened to that clip and I'm not sure who is delivering the pressure on him to stay.  The school?  His folks?  The Sabres obviously want him to come out and Minn wants him to stay so that the new coach isn't coming into a team devoid of talent.  If I'm Casey I'm gone.  

Presuming the expansion draft rules are the same, which given Las Vegas' insane level of success, is far from a given.

In terms of pressure to stay?  The kid is from Minnesota.  I'd imagine he's got pressure from his current teammates, his friends at school, his friends at home, alumni, professors, the equipment guy, the guy who drives the zamboni, most of Minnesota basically.  The only Minnesotan in favor of him leaving is probably Housley.

Considering Seattle will be paying about 2/3's of $1B to join this club, it's fairly a given that the rules will be very similar to the Vegas expansion draft.

Truly doubt that Seattle will have the same success as Vegas. Their home record won't be close to Vegas' as opposing teams won't be getting the "Vegas flu" from too much Starbucks & rainy weather. ;)

Presuming the expansion draft rules are the same, which given Las Vegas' insane level of success, is far from a given.

In terms of pressure to stay?  The kid is from Minnesota.  I'd imagine he's got pressure from his current teammates, his friends at school, his friends at home, alumni, professors, the equipment guy, the guy who drives the zamboni, most of Minnesota basically.  The only Minnesotan in favor of him leaving is probably Housley.

Considering Seattle will be paying about 2/3's of $1B to join this club, it's fairly a given that the rules will be very similar to the Vegas expansion draft.

Truly doubt that Seattle will have the same success as Vegas. Their home record won't be close to Vegas' as opposing teams won't be getting the "Vegas flu" from too much Starbucks & rainy weather. ;)

If I remember correctly, the league has already announced that expansion draft rules will be unchanged for Seattle.

I wonder if Casey is putting pressure on himself to stay in school and attempt to finish what he started for another year.

This is the same player who rather than staying in the USHL for the entire season during his draft year went back to his high school to attempt win a Minnesota High School State Hockey Championship. That appears to have hurt his draft position, yeah for us, in his teams eyes.

His dream was to play for Minnesota and have a chance for the National Championship, missing the the Frozen Four completely did not sit well.

Plus if Bob Motzko is coming to Coach Minnesota, maybe he feels he would be better for his development.