#Caseywatch

Crusader1969

I was at the 2 Penn State/Minnesota games last weekend.  Early, in game 1 particularly, it seemed like they were sheltering Mittelstadt's minutes and that Minnesota was giving deference to their upperclassmen.  The longer the 2 game series went the more Mittelstadt was on the ice with the puck on his stick and he was electric.  I can't say how it's been the rest of the season but it wouldn't shock me if the coach did that and if Mittelstadt as a Minnesota boy came into the team and also gave some deference to the upperclassmen as well.  Mittelstadt was clearly the most skilled and fastest player on the ice for either team.  His goals were not grimy, they were sexy.  Quick, very hard, accurate shots.  Stuff that nobody else on the ice was doing.  By game 2 he was much more of the alpha dog on the ice and frankly, he started to try to do too much but, from his point of view, he didn't have a lot of help in 5 on 5.  Apart from that he seemed a little slight and he could definitely use a little more beef to be in the NHL.

To be clear I'm not worried about the deference to upperclassmen, I respect a supremely talented kid for finding his place on a team of men.  He's the best player but he wasn't wearing a letter as a freshmen and he was following the leadership provided to him by the upperclassmen and coaches.  When it was his time to be great, he was.  If the whole season went like this it doesn't surprise me that his numbers aren't what some would like them to be.  He's a freshmen and it looked like they were handling him like one.  Like a player who they were counting on to grow with and be there as part of a program, not a one and done.  I'd bet he goes back for at LEAST one more year if not 2.

I remember reading he's the type that likes to finish what he started so going back wouldn't surprise me.

On the 31 thoughts podcast with Elliott Friedman and Jeff Marek, Elliott said he doesn't think he will be in a rush to make a decision and will go into the summer deciding if he should return to school or not. Around the 1hr 03min mark on the podcast when they begin talking about the Sabres. Elliott said he should have more on it next week in his 31 thoughts column.

the Casey watch will start tonight if:

1) Princeton beats Clarkson and

2) BU beats Northeastern

The automatic bids would be:

Teams ranked higher than Minnesota

1) winner of St.cloud vs Denver

2) Winner North Dakota vs Minnesota Duluth

3) Winner Ohio State vs Norte Dame

Winners ranked lower than Minnesota

4) Boston U

5) winner Michigan Tech vs Northern Michigan

6) Princeton

7) winner Robert Morris vs AirForce

At large bids:

Teams ranked higher than Minnesota

8) loser st.cloud vs Denver

9) loser North Dakato vs Minn Duluth

10) loser Ohio state vs Norte Dame

11) Providence

12) Clarkson

13) Cornel

14) Minnesota State

15) Michigan

16) Penn State

Edited by Crusader1969

The first domino has fallen. BU makes the tourney by defeating Northeastern

Princeton leads Clarkson 1-0 with 10mins to go

Clarkson scored with 7 seconds remaining to force OT. #caseywatch still on hold

What domino?  kid should do proper thing and stay there another year.