Kane traded to San Jose for a Cond. ‘19 1st, Dan O’ Regan and Conditional 4th

Brawndo

I’m curious when the unavailability of attractive UFAs will intersect with the rising value of high draft picks in order to finally make the offer sheet relevant.

If Ryan Hartman is worth a first and Thomas Tatar is worth a 1,2,and 3, why not sign Boone Jenner to a five-year $19 million contract this summer? It would cost only a 2nd and could Columbus match? Or Jacob Trouba, seven years, $40 million. It’ll cost you a 1st and a third.

It’s coming. It’ll just take one team at the right stage of development to target a team crushed up against the cap.

Especially if I'm a contending team with cap room.  

I’m curious when the unavailability of attractive UFAs will intersect with the rising value of high draft picks in order to finally make the offer sheet relevant.

If Ryan Hartman is worth a first and Thomas Tatar is worth a 1,2,and 3, why not sign Boone Jenner to a five-year $19 million contract this summer? It would cost only a 2nd and could Columbus match? Or Jacob Trouba, seven years, $40 million. It’ll cost you a 1st and a third.

It’s coming. It’ll just take one team at the right stage of development to target a team crushed up against the cap.

To parrot Jeremy White someone should have done this with Kucherov.

The offer sheet cherry needs to be popped. These gms are real gun shy about finger blasting each other.

Unfortunately Botterill recently said in an interview that offer sheets are something they would consider, but they rarely make sense as they are always matched and only serve to drive up contract amounts.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at: the shifting market may create a situation where they start to make more sense. Players are starting to get paid earlier; draft picks seem to be gaining value versus cap-expensive players. So far, the teams always match, so why offer? Now as I watch the market I wonder if there is a growing likelihood they might take the picks.

Edited by dudacek

Unfortunately Botterill recently said in an interview that offer sheets are something they would consider, but they rarely make sense as they are always matched and only serve to drive up contract amounts.

What kind of mentality is that? Only serve to drive up contracts? How about serving to make your team better.

What kind of mentality is that? Only serve to drive up contracts? How about serving to make your team better.

I think the concern is that it would turn into a trolling arms race. Where GMs would just be offer-sheeting players on other teams to drive their value up and put other GMs in cap trouble because they'll always match the offer sheet. Basically, these GMs see each other as trading partners so they don't want to piss each other off. If I were a GM and a real jerk, I would absolutely offer sheet players just to screw with other GMs. But everyone would also hate me and never trade with me. 

How different could the end result be for a team like Vegas?  They made essentially money only trades this deadline to prevent a player coming to another western conference team.  I would think that would cause the same sort of ill will as offer sheeting a player from that team.

How different could the end result be for a team like Vegas?  They made essentially money only trades this deadline to prevent a player coming to another western conference team.  I would think that would cause the same sort of ill will as offer sheeting a player from that team.

I dunno, I think that's just gaming the CBA. I can't see GMs having a problem with that other than wondering why they didn't think of it first. 

I think the concern is that it would turn into a trolling arms race. Where GMs would just be offer-sheeting players on other teams to drive their value up and put other GMs in cap trouble because they'll always match the offer sheet. Basically, these GMs see each other as trading partners so they don't want to piss each other off. If I were a GM and a real jerk, I would absolutely offer sheet players just to screw with other GMs. But everyone would also hate me and never trade with me.

The thing is, the cap always acts as a brake.

A stupid contract is a stupid contract.

Bruins sign Reinhart to a seven-year seven-million deal?

Good luck signing McAvoy when his deal is up.

The cap is also supposed to encourage parity. If you can’t afford to pay Trouba, but I can, that’s the system working the way it’s intended.

Edited by dudacek

@Hoss I'll avatar or charity bet you the Sabres don't come in last. They just beat Boston without Kane and Eichel.

OK.  I have thought more about this and I am begging you to reconsider this foolish venture.

Really, you WON (if I recall correctly did you not have a similar bet with pi?) the last time you made a bet like this and we are all still paying for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Possibly looking good for the Sabres to have two firsts in 2019?

From Craig Custance

Sharks GM Doug Wilson has been very happy with the fit of Evander Kane, acquired in a deadline deal from the Buffalo Sabres. Sabres fans should be happy to know that the Sharks appear very serious about keeping Kane in San Jose long term. He has five goals in 10 games to go with 10 points overall since being traded to the Sharks.

The second-round pick the Sabres received for Kane becomes a first-rounder if Kane signs an extension after this season. All indications point to that being a very real possibility.

“He’s done all the things we’ve asked him to do. For us, he fits for now and the future. He has the right ingredients. He’s the right age,” Wilson told The Athletic. “He’s 26 and plays the game a certain way. I have a lot of cap space. A lot of cap space. Do I have enough cap space to take care of our own guys and keep Evander and do some other things? I do.”

Edited by Brawndo

From Craig Custance

Sharks GM Doug Wilson has been very happy with the fit of Evander Kane, acquired in a deadline deal from the Buffalo Sabres. Sabres fans should be happy to know that the Sharks appear very serious about keeping Kane in San Jose long term. He has five goals in 10 games to go with 10 points overall since being traded to the Sharks.

The second-round pick the Sabres received for Kane becomes a first-rounder if Kane signs an extension after this season. All indications point to that being a very real possibility.

“He’s done all the things we’ve asked him to do. For us, he fits for now and the future. He has the right ingredients. He’s the right age,” Wilson told The Athletic. “He’s 26 and plays the game a certain way. I have a lot of cap space. A lot of cap space. Do I have enough cap space to take care of our own guys and keep Evander and do some other things? I do.”

Thanks

From Craig Custance

Makes sense... he's more valuable to them than whoever they would pick at the bottom of the first round.      Hopefully he doesn't do anything stupid. 

I wouldn't be surprised if San Jose was in the lotto for 2019

I'd be shocked.   They have a very good team, no cap trouble and Thornton's $8m/yr are coming off the books.   

Kane is the only UFA of any significance... Hertl/Tierney are RFAs.   

• 1 month later...

Per Kevin Kurz

From what I’m told, the Sharks are prepared to offer Evander Kane a mid-to-long term contract extension (no word yet on specifics). That doesn’t assure something will get done, but the team does appear to be committed to keeping Kane around for the future, if possible.

Per Kevin Kurz

From what I’m told, the Sharks are prepared to offer Evander Kane a mid-to-long term contract extension (no word yet on specifics). That doesn’t assure something will get done, but the team does appear to be committed to keeping Kane around for the future, if possible.

That's great news if it happens.  What do you put the odds at?