What are we seeing right now?

dudacek

i think we are at where we have always been. 

A pretty good top 6 without any support for the bottom 2 lines. In the long run, its a losing proposition.

when the top lines go cold again, they won't have any support for the bottom 6 and the Sabres will be back to being shut-out or scoring 1 or 2.

it does give me hope for next year though as I think that 5 out of the 6 bottom forwards will be replaced by younger, faster and better players.

5 out of 6 Out - Larsson, Pouliot. Nolon,  Josefson, Pominville (13th forward)

In - Erod, Mittelstadt, Baptiste, Smith, ??? to fill their spots

I really like how Wilson has looked lately. He looks like the player I saw in the playoffs with Pitt last season. I think he brings speed and some decent hands. If he continues to play like this he’ll secure a top 9 spot for next year.

Dudes, good work. I'm pretty sure getting those numbers entailed counting game by game, unless you're luckier than I am and have a source that gives first half/second half. Thanks.

However, methinks you didn't go back far enough. There's a reason "heroic run to 8th" is in our lexicon. The following involves a bit of cherry picking and isn't "first half/second half."

07-08 — They started 6-11 (Deluca) and finished with 90 points

08-09 — Started 11-14 and finished with 91.

10-11 — Started 14-22 and finished with 96 points and in the playoffs.

11-12 — There seemed to be a bit of carryover from the previous season with a 10-5 start. But that morphed into 19-29. Still the team finished with 89 points.

Dudes, good work. I'm pretty sure getting those numbers entailed counting game by game, unless you're luckier than I am and have a source that gives first half/second half. Thanks.

However, methinks you didn't go back far enough. There's a reason "heroic run to 8th" is in our lexicon. The following involves a bit of cherry picking and isn't "first half/second half."

07-08 — They started 6-11 (Deluca) and finished with 90 points

08-09 — Started 11-14 and finished with 91.

10-11 — Started 14-22 and finished with 96 points and in the playoffs.

11-12 — There seemed to be a bit of carryover from the previous season with a 10-5 start. But that morphed into 19-29. Still the team finished with 89 points.

This. If you look at the last 10 games of each season, which I did solely because it's listed right there on the NHL standings history you see.

07-08 Last 10 of 6-3-1 to finish at 90 points and 18th overall in the standings

08-09 Last 10 of 7-2-1 to finish at 91 points and 18th overall in the standings

09-10 Last 10 of 5-5-0 to finish at 100 points and 11th overall in the standings (Miller's Veznia year and the year we won the division)

10-11 Last 10 of 8-1-1 to finish at 96 points and 15th overall in the standings (made playoffs)

11-12 Last 10 of 6-3-1 to finish at 89 points and 19th overall in the standings

12-13 Last 10 of 6-4-0 to finish at 48 points and 23rd overall in the standings (lockout year)

It may not have looked like it strictly using first half/second half cutoffs, but the Sabres definitely have shown a propensity for getting hot at the end when the games usually don't matter and screwing themselves out of a good draft position. The only time it really paid off was in 2010-2011 when they actually used their hot finish to make the playoffs.

So, why did you guys not include 13-14, 14-15, 15-16 and 16-17 in your analysis(s) .........

:ph34r:

I stopped there for time restraints (I cover the front office of my building while the other admin takes lunch so I had to boogie), but also because they finally started finishing as poorly as they started and drafting higher as a result.

Just for you though:

13-14 Last 10 of 1-7-2 to finish at 52 points and 30th overall in the standings (Welcome to Buffalo Mr. Reinhart)

14-15 Last 10 of 3-6-1 to finish at 54 points and 30th overall in the standings (Welcome to Buffalo Mr. Eichel)

15-16 Last 10 of 6-3-1 to finish at 81 points and 23rd overall in the standings (Welcome to Rochester, Mr. Nylander) - a worse finish would have helped here and supports my point

16-17 Last 10 of 4-6-0 to finish at 78 points and 26th overall in the standings (save us Lord Casey!) - we got lucky here but finishing worse means we still could have taken him earlier and not had to rely as much on luck and other teams not realizing a true GOD was available to be taken.

Edited by Alkoholist

So, why did you guys not include 13-14, 14-15, 15-16 and 16-17 in your analysis(s) .........

:ph34r:

I was doing years Dudacek didn't do, but I get your point.

I hope so. I’m tired of waiting for the next draft class to arrive for hockey to be fun again.

It's kind of a no-brainer. The risk of losing (maybe even intentionally) is so much higher than the reward of picking a little higher. Put another way, the reward of winning, especially right now for this franchise, is so much higher than the risk of losing ground in the lottery.

It's kind of a no-brainer. The risk of losing (maybe even intentionally) is so much higher than the reward of picking a little higher. Put another way, the reward of winning, especially right now for this franchise, is so much higher than the risk of losing ground in the lottery.

Interesting conundrum. Especially in what is considered a deep though not high end draft. If Sabres dont pick in top 4 still plenty of guys out there. If Sabres could trade with Isles.. say Kane and Lehner for picks and prospects might be very good. Doubt they make it to playoffs. Any other teams on the cusp that willing to give up a number 1 and still fail to make playoffs ? Edited by Kottbullar

What I hope we're seeing is what many new coach/system teams go through. An uneasy first 15 games where it's quite often a mess, followed by the team figuring out what they're doing as a team and playing competitive and close hockey games almost night-in and night-out (with the occasional big win or big loss). Sadly, this is about 40 games too late and left this season looking at another "when is the draft lottery on television?". Or rather, you may dispense with the pleasantries, Commanders. I'm here to put you back on schedule (beginning next season).

Nice work boys. Looks like it’s more late-season runs than second half runs that we are remembering.

PA, nhl.com allows you to set date parameters. Had to jiggle the dates around to find the precise season midpoint, but much less work than counting everything.

. I do not agree

Whenever the Sabres finally start a season well, it’s going to be after a strong finish the season previous. Now, sometimes finishing strong doesn’t translate to the next season. But it’s often what you see as the start of a turn-around.

At some point the Sabres need to start winning. If we are looking toward next season, a good finish this year is truly necessary, I believe. Not only as an aid to such, as in, a much needed confidence booster for the young core, but for what it may indicate: It could show they are ready to take the next step.

I want to see progress. I want to see wins.

Winning begets winning.

Whenever the Sabres finally start a season well, it’s going to be after a strong finish the season previous. Now, sometimes finishing strong doesn’t translate to the next season. But it’s often what you see as the start of a turn-around.

At some point the Sabres need to start winning. If we are looking toward next season, a good finish this year is truly necessary, I believe. Not only as an aid to such, as in, a much needed confidence booster for the young core, but for what it may indicate: It could show they are ready to take the next step.

I want to see progress. I want to see wins.

Winning begets winning.

I hate this saying with the heat of a thousand suns. Having a good team begets winning. Nothing else.

I hate this saying with the heat of a thousand suns. Having a good team begets winning. Nothing else.

I’m more referring to it’s value as an indicator, and not as a literal cause. If they are winning, it reveals them to be a good/improving team, therefore there will be more wins.

I’m talking correlation not causation. I want to see wins, because it’s a better indicator that there’s more coming, than losses would be.

I suppose “begets” isn’t the best choice of words. I’ll have to heavily emphasize the “results in” side of the definition rather than the “cause” side.

Or just remove the sentence entirely since it’s not the best representative of my main point :p

Edited by Thorny

Strike the last two words. The good team is a product of a talented team executing a good system, but a team transitioning to good from bad needs the positive reinforcement that winning brings inorder to breed trust in the system and in each other.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Semantics.

My point is that if they are winning, it reveals them to be a good/improving team, therefore there will be more wins.

I’m talking correlation not causation.

I want to see wins, because it’s a better indicator that there’s more coming, than losses would be.

I suppose “begets” isn’t the best choice of words. I’ll have to heavily emphasize the “results in” side of the definition rather than the “cause” side.

Or just remove the sentence entirely since it’s not the best representative of my main point :P

I do what I want! :p

Anyway, I agree that going on a run would be more likely to indicate real progress than continuing to stink. I'd rather win out than lose out. I just don't think it inherently means there is progress, nor do I believe there is some intrinsic force of nature that makes wins snowball into more wins. Winning begets winning to the extent the winning is grounded in real progress. But winning can also be a mirage...in such cases, winning begets nothing. And in the case of Ottawa thinking it's better than it is, all winning begat was an ill-advised trade to sidegrade Turris to Duchene.

Strike the last two words. The good team is a product of a talented team executing a good system, but a team transitioning from good to bad needs the positive reinforcement that winning brings inorder to breed trust in the system and in each other.

Fair enough, but winning without those first two components is nothing more than fool's gold.

I do what I want! :p

Anyway, I agree that going on a run would be more likely to indicate real progress than continuing to stink. I'd rather win out than lose out. I just don't think it inherently means there is progress, nor do I believe there is some intrinsic force of nature that makes wins snowball into more wins. Winning begets winning to the extent the winning is grounded in real progress. But winning can also be a mirage...in such cases, winning begets nothing. And in the case of Ottawa thinking it's better than it is, all winning begat was an ill-advised trade to sidegrade Turris to Duchene.

Fair enough, but winning without those first two components is nothing more than fool's gold.

A terrible trade.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.