What are we seeing right now?

dudacek

I hate this saying with the heat of a thousand suns. Having a good team begets winning. Nothing else.

Exactly, good players begets winning.

Mike Babcock on winning the draft lottery  "I remember when we got to three (in the draft lottery), I was jumping up in the living room. When we got to one, tears. People don't understand. You need real players."

not "we needed to win some games late last season when it didnt matter". real players beget winning. end of story.

Edited by Crusader1969

Mike Babcock on winning the draft lottery  "I remember when we got to three (in the draft lottery), I was jumping up in the living room. When we got to one, tears. People don't understand. You need real players."

not "we needed to win some games late last season when it didnt matter". real players beget winning. end of story.

And it is the GM and scouting departments job to get those players outside of the top 3 draft slots. See Mittelstadt, Casey. 

Holy jumping to conclusions batman!

Do you think Mittelstadt will be a contributing player for Buffalo? 

For this lets say at the level of Reinhart, so top 6.

Holy jumping to conclusions batman!

I suppose I could use a better example. It is brutally hard finding anyone outside the top of the draft we got because we drafted HORRENDOUS from about 2007 - 2014. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

And it is the GM and scouting departments job to get those players outside of the top 3 draft slots. See Mittelstadt, Casey. 

they were also a bit lucky that he dropped due to questions about his strength and his commitment to hockey.

If your scouting department is that good, wouldn't you want them to be able to draft the guy they like best after the top 3? rather than being left with maybe their 3rd or 4th ranked prospect.

Has there ever been a study done that correlates the end of one season to the beginning of the following season? 

if we look at this season, the 2 biggest turnarounds are New Jersey and Colorado.

from Feb 1 

Coloradoon  -  9W 23L 2ROW

New Jersey     7W  19L  5ROW

somehow, even though they struggled to the end they were able to turn it around the following season.

they were also a bit lucky that he dropped due to questions about his strength and his commitment to hockey.

If your scouting department is that good, wouldn't you want them to be able to draft the guy they like best after the top 3? rather than being left with maybe their 3rd or 4th ranked prospect.

Has there ever been a study done that correlates the end of one season to the beginning of the following season? 

if we look at this season, the 2 biggest turnarounds are New Jersey and Colorado.

from Feb 1 

Coloradoon  -  9W 23L 2ROW

New Jersey     7W  19L  5ROW

somehow, even though they struggled to the end they were able to turn it around the following season.

But you would also need to look at teams that looked good in the back half of the season and see if that carried over. 

As to the other question, since you won't always get to draft at #5 or #4 or wherever you think the next tier starts, you have to know or have a good feeling about the players in the following tier and who should be taken. This draft is heavy in defense. If our scouting staff is good they should be able to look at picks 6-8 and say okay, if we draft here what do the remaining defenders look like and what do the remaining forwards look like. Which of them is best? Best being who will succeed as an NHL player. 

We have 12 players with contracts for next year:  Larsson, ERod, O'Reilly, Girgs, Eichel, Okposo, Pommers, Bogo, Risto, Scandella, Beaulieu and Mcabe.  

We have 6 players with contracts in 2019:  O'Reilly, Eichel, Okposo, Risto, Bogo and Scandella.

This team in 2 years time will go through a major overhaul.  I just don't see the significance of how winning this season carries over to what is going to be a likely 70% turnover on who's on the team.  We will likely be terrible for a couple more years because learning to play together is going to go from - learning the system to completely different players very very soon.  It'll be a learning to play with someone you haven't played with all over again - just as it is now.  Except now doesn't matter, IMO.  

Right now it is about acquiring assets so that when that time comes our young rochester and abroad players are coming to the Sabres in real numbers.  This is the draft that's critical to getting a player ready for the NHL in a couple years.  The timing should be perfect as I expect us to be on the rise when this years player is ready.  

Mike Babcock on winning the draft lottery "I remember when we got to three (in the draft lottery), I was jumping up in the living room. When we got to one, tears. People don't understand. You need real players."[/size]

not "we needed to win some games late last season when it didnt matter". real players beget winning. end of story.[/size]

And I’ll happily take a nice strong finish to the season now, as it could be evidence that we have multiple good players on the team coming into their own. Rather than the situation where they stink up the joint for the remainder, calling into even greater question their long term feasibilty as core players, in exchange for one, potentially good player at the draft.

Especially when we are going to get a good player either way.

Edited by Thorny

And I’ll happily take a nice strong finish to the season now, as it could be evidence that we have multiple good players on the team coming into their own. Rather than the situation where they stink up the joint for the remainder, calling into even greater question their long term feasibilty as core players, in exchange for one, potentially good player at the draft.

Can you give some examples of players you're talking about hoping they work themselves into the core?

Can you give some examples of players you're talking about hoping they work themselves into the core?

I want to see continued progress from Reinhart. He’s an x-factor. He has the pedigree to be an impact player if he reaches his full potential. I’d much rather see a breakout from Sam than a slightly better chance at a slightly higher pick.

In the same vein, it would be very refreshing to see Ristolainen show late season progress, rather than a fade-out. Could bode well for his ability to solidify himself as a true first pairing guy.

If players like Baptiste, Rodrigues, Nelson, and Antipin can continue showing improvement, that could go a long way to helping secure more depth.

And it’s always fun to see O’Reilly and Okposo playing up to their contracts (or closer to them) even at the end of a long season. If some of these things happen and we start winning more games due to improved play from our players, I’ll be happy to call it development, greatly accept their newfound confidence, and look forward to Botterill procuring a high-potential player from whichever near-the-top draft slot we pick from.

Babcock didn't tear up because he got a good player at 7.

Yes, I understand that they need to win a lottery to be top 3 but it looks like their are 4 no doubt about it "real" players in this draft. I'm hoping the Sabres get one. Even if it means to crawl across the finish line this season

Sabres are now just 1 pt ahead of Arizona for 31st in the NHL. So are the Sabres now the worst team in the NHL with Jack out? How bad will they be once Kane and maybe Lehner and others are traded soon?

I think it's safe to say they are 100% going to be drafting Dahlin, Tkachuk, Svechnikov or Zadina bad! And that's ok

Coyotes have won 5 out of last 6 and got a point in their 1 loss. They are definitely better than Sabres right now and won't be unloading at the deadline.

Edited by Crusader1969

I think it's safe to say they are 100% going to be drafting Dahlin, Tkachuk, Svechnikov or Zadina bad! And that's ok

Coyotes have won 5 out of last 6 and got a point in their 1 loss. They are definitely better than Sabres right now and won't be unloading at the deadline.

big-bang-theory-physics-bowl-o.gif

/s

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.