Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

Taylor is better than anything else we've trotted out under center since Flutie. He may not have torched secondaries like Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees, but he didn't turn the ball over and he helped keep the team competitive. Do you remember JP Losman? Trent Edwards? Ryan Fitzpatrick? Brian Bohm? I know you remember EJ Manuel. I'd rather not risk going back to that. Taylor may not have had a super high ceiling, but he had a decently high floor more often than not. We could have kept him until the new guy proved to not only have a higher ceiling, but a comparable floor. 

If the FNG lights it up we could have moved on from Taylor then. To do it before hand is flat out irresponsible. The Massholes didn't move on from Bledsoe until they had Brady. The Packers didn't move on from Favre until they had Aaron Rodgers.

I'd risk whatever I needed to for a franchise QB. Including trading Tyrod Taylor. 

Tyrod was and is mediocre. 

You can't turn the ball over when you are afraid to throw it. 

I'd risk whatever I needed to for a franchise QB. Including trading Tyrod Taylor. 

Tyrod was and is mediocre. 

You can't turn the ball over when you are afraid to throw it. 

I can't believe I'm allowing myself to be sucked back into a Taylor conversation, but how did trading him improve the Bills' chances of getting a franchise QB?

Our roster was bad last year and got worse due to players leaving via FA/retiring.

We have the ammo now to get a QB.

We shouldn't use it to turn a bad roster into a slightly less bad roster to build around the nothing we've had at qb for the last 20+ years. That plan gave us an 18 year drought.

Get the QB!!!

I can't believe I'm allowing myself to be sucked back into a Taylor conversation, but how did trading him improve the Bills' chances of getting a franchise QB?

Hi Buffalo, we are the NY Giants. We want 12, 22, 53, and another pick to move up to 2. 

Hi Giants, we can give you 12, 22, 53, and 65. We would like to keep 56. 

Hi Buffalo, that sounds delightful. 

Buffalo selects with the 2nd overall pick... 

Our roster was bad last year and got worse due to players leaving via FA/retiring.

We shouldn't use it to turn a bad roster into a slightly less bad roster to build around the nothing we've had at qb for the last 20+ years. That plan gave us an 18 year drought.

Get the QB!!!

Exactly. Buffalo fans keep having this "next year" mentality and it needs to end. If they it up they do but at least we tried. Drafting EJ Manuel wasn't trying. Keeping Tyrod wasn't trying. This might be the first legitimate attempt to draft the future QB since JP Lossman. 

Hi Buffalo, we are the NY Giants. We want 12, 22, 53, and another pick to move up to 2. 

Hi Giants, we can give you 12, 22, 53, and 65. We would like to keep 56. 

Hi Buffalo, that sounds delightful. 

Buffalo selects with the 2nd overall pick... 

Exactly. Buffalo fans keep having this "next year" mentality and it needs to end. If they ###### it up they do but at least we tried. Drafting EJ Manuel wasn't trying. Keeping Tyrod wasn't trying. This might be the first legitimate attempt to draft the future QB since JP Lossman. 

If and when that comes to pass...

So they're already telling the public to expect a regression from last season? Looks like they won't be getting any of my money this season.

Mine neither but they will pack the stadium with drunks who are more concerned about jumping on tables and drinking their faces off than the product on the field.

You know why I am glad Tyrod is gone, because it forces them to actually address the position. There isn't a safety net. Do or do not, there is no try. 

This isn't unreasonable.  I'd prefer the safety net, but I get where you're coming from.

Just sick of the mediocrity from all Buffalo sports teams. There is always an excuse. 

- The Patriots, with Tom Brady and Drew Bledsoe, have drafter more QBs than Buffalo

- Since Jim Kelly, Buffalo has drafted 2 quarterbacks in the 1st round

- Buffalo is one of 3 teams to never draft a quarterback in the top 10; Baltimore and Minnesota are the other two https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/3/25/17129282/buffalo-bills-have-never-picked-a-quarterback-in-the-top-10-of-the-nfl-draft-three-teams

This is the best shot we could possibly ask for for 

A) Draft capital

B) Depth at the position of need

C) A patient fanbase

Edited by Jokertecken

Just sick of the mediocrity from all Buffalo sports teams. There is always an excuse. 

Sure, but the excuses are closer to reality that I think we'd like to admit. I don't think will power alone can elevate anyone or anything out of mediocrity. Would I like to have a game changing quarter back? Absolutely. But I think the wise bet says the odds are long. A lot of us could live with acceptable knowing how difficult it is to really strike gold with this stuff. 

The odds are 0 if you never even try. 

- The Patriots, with Tom Brady and Drew Bledsoe, have drafter more QBs than Buffalo

- Since Jim Kelly, Buffalo has drafted 2 quarterbacks in the 1st round

- Buffalo is one of 3 teams to never draft a quarterback in the top 10; Baltimore and Minnesota are the other two https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/3/25/17129282/buffalo-bills-have-never-picked-a-quarterback-in-the-top-10-of-the-nfl-draft-three-teams

I bolded the two things most important. This team has drafted 2 first round qbs in what? 30 years and wonders why they don't have a good qb. We have never taken 1 in the top 10. Talk about no guts no glory. 

I bolded the two things most important. This team has drafted 2 first round qbs in what? 30 years and wonders why they don't have a good qb. We have never taken 1 in the top 10. Talk about no guts no glory. 

I think if you look at the years when the Bills had top-ten picks, you'll see why.  (Montana notwithstanding.  Everyone whiffed on him at least twice.)  The "big mistake" year was 2014.  There were some good ones available even if the Bills had stayed at 9 like they should have, but the Manuel experiment wasn't over yet.

Kelly (14), Losman (22), and EJ (16): Only 3 times the Bills have ever selected a QB in the 1st round

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/draft.htm

Edited by Jokertecken

Kelly (14), Losman (22), and EJ (16): Only 3 times the Bills have ever selected a QB in the 1st round

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/draft.htm

Yes but Kelly was over 30 years ago. 

I think if you look at the years when the Bills had top-ten picks, you'll see why.  (Montana notwithstanding.  Everyone whiffed on him at least twice.)  The "big mistake" year was 2014.  There were some good ones available even if the Bills had stayed at 9 like they should have, but the Manuel experiment wasn't over yet.

So why not take one this year? Do it. 

Get the QB!!!

I think Alkoholist and Gramps are the only ones who actually disagree with this. I think me, Eleven, and a few others are just arguing Tyrod remains under appreciated.

I think Alkoholist and Gramps are the only ones who actually disagree with this. I think me, Eleven, and a few others are just arguing Tyrod remains under appreciated.

Yeah, my post is meant to be regardless of whether Tyrod ever played here, exists, or should still be here. More about understanding and accepting what we really have at this point on the team, which the front office appears to be well aware of. I'm ready for and okay with a step back if it means finally doing the right thing.

I fully expect that he gives the Browns more wins this season than they have in their past 64 games (4 I think it is). 

He's a solid piece if you need to stabilize the position while transitioning through/between coaching schemes and roster windows, and will get you 6-9 wins, and maybe 10 once if everything goes right (6 if you're the Browns)

He's my favorite Bills QB I've ever seen and you can never take being the QB to end the drought away from him. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Taylor was an asset that only certain teams would be interested in.  They turned him into a draft pick that more teams would be interested in.  You open up new trade avenues that didn't previously exist.  Personally, I'm like you and wish they'd have the solution in house before making the move, but that's not a luxury you always have.

Why hasn't CLE announced who they're picking 1st yet?    Doesn't that usually happen by now?

I feel like its happened less and less the last couple of years. But to add to that:

1) They could be looking to trade out, so they have no incentive to tell anyone ahead of time and

2) They have the 4th pick, so they want to keep people guessing about what they'll do up top

I feel like its happened less and less the last couple of years. But to add to that:

1) They could be looking to trade out, so they have no incentive to tell anyone ahead of time and

2) They have the 4th pick, so they want to keep people guessing about what they'll do up top

3) Announcing the pick before the draft gives the player too much time to flee the country. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.