Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

Who cares? He's a capable NFL quarterback. That's what matters. That McDermott is offensively clueless and/or hired a woefully inept OC doesn't really change that.

I can't tell if McBeane drafting our franchise QB and then leading us to a second playoff birth in a row is going to make you happy or livid.

:P

I agree with you.  I still don't know why people are bringing up Taylor, as I wrote earlier.  If you watched McCarron at Alabama, you know what we're in for.  No comparison with Taylor is needed.

Not sure what you didn't like about McCarron at 'Bama ... 

post-2720-0-24947500-1523926644_thumb.png

Edited by Gramps

I don't want a "capable" quarterback. I want a difference maker.

Also tyrod was mediocre under the last oc too.

I can't tell if McBeane drafting our franchise QB and then leading us to a second playoff birth in a row is going to make you happy or livid.

:P

In no way, shape, or form, would I have been happy not trying to upgrade Taylor. I wanted to draft a successor at 10 last year. He's not the answer. But he's not Blaine Gabbert either just because he doesn't throw for 4500 yards.

Taylor is a capable NFL quarterback?

K.

He is. Frankly, I think you'd be hard pressed to make a non-stylistic argument that he isn't. 

Edit: I just think people hate the degree to which he's not a prototypical dropback passer so much that it's clouding the analysis of his play, and he's getting dumped on overly harshly. Sort of like how Evander Kane's particular on-ice shortcomings drove me absolutely up a wall to the point I was probably harsher on him than was fully justified.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

He is. Frankly, I think you'd be hard pressed to make a non-stylistic argument that he isn't.

Edit: I just think people hate the degree to which he's not a prototypical dropback passer so much that it's clouding the analysis of his play, and he's getting dumped on overly harshly. Sort of like how Evander Kane's particular on-ice shortcomings drove me absolutely up a wall to the point I was probably harsher on him than was fully justified.

I may need to take a break, and reflect on how I feel about Taylor as a QB.

I dunno.

I’m confident I don’t dislike him because he’s not a prototypical dropbacl passer. His limitations and shortcomings eventually made me nuts, and maybe that Jags playoff game distilled it for me.

(I always admired him for being a consummate professional, good teammate, good guy in the community, and so on.)

Taylor was tolerable. And for me, that was better than anything we've had in a very long time.

I just want someone a little better than tolerable. How about acceptable?

No, you want a game changer. A winner.

Georgia started the year with Jacob Eason. He was more than tolerable. 95 teams out of 100 would love him as a qb. Fromm still got recruited and still took his job. Just good enough isn't good enough. That's gotta be our mindset.

It applies to the Sabres as well. I want more talent. On defense. On wing. In goal. Even at center. If you're just good enough, I don't need you.

No, you want a game changer. A winner.

Georgia started the year with Jacob Eason. He was more than tolerable. 95 teams out of 100 would love him as a qb. Fromm still got recruited and still took his job. Just good enough isn't good enough. That's gotta be our mindset.

It applies to the Sabres as well. I want more talent. On defense. On wing. In goal. Even at center. If you're just good enough, I don't need you.

Keep hearing Fromm will lose his job to this apparent superstar freshman too. Any truth to that?

Keep hearing Fromm will lose his job to this apparent superstar freshman too. Any truth to that?

Justin Fields. 

That's right Georgia is so competitive we recruited another 5star QB to compete with the guy who just took us to a Natty. We shall see on Saturday. It seems unlikely given Fromm's skills but Fields is a an athlete. He runs, throws, he can do it all. The thing is this year you could see Fromm progress to making play changes at the line. Something he did very sparingly last year. Fromm should also throw more without Sony and Chubb in the backfield although we still have White, Holyfield, and of course Swift so they will take carries just as well. (White probably starts the year on IR as he is injured). 

Edited by Skurk Liger

I'm really enjoying this talent run that Georgia is having as of late. They just can't seem to lose any depth.

They do what Bama has been doing, you don't lose depth because you recruit enough depth not to. As for the RB, I don't think there is a program in the country that could match Georgia's RB depth. 

Justin Fields was the #2 recruit in the nation behind Trevor Lawrence who went to Clemson. I will be watching G day to see how he does. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

But back to the point. We as a city and as a fanbase have to change. We can't accept mediocrity or "acceptable" or "competent".  I want greatness. Anything less than great is unacceptable and should be upgraded. Tyrod was meh. Draft someone better. If they aren't good enough, draft someone better. 

Not sure what you didn't like about McCarron at 'Bama ... 

The stats are skewed.  First, Alabama's offense had LOTS of possessions because its defense didn't allow its opponents to gain a whole lot of ground.  Second, lots of dinky passes with lots of yards after the catch.

Alabama has won loads of national championships, yet their quarterbacks haven't been good enough for the NFL (recently; I'm not talking about Namath and Starr here).

Taylor’s name has come up because it’s being implied here that his departure signified the loss of a capable NFL passer.

He was capable.  He just wasn't anything more than that.

The stats are skewed.  First, Alabama's offense had LOTS of possessions because its defense didn't allow its opponents to gain a whole lot of ground.  Second, lots of dinky passes with lots of yards after the catch.

Alabama has won loads of national championships, yet their quarterbacks haven't been good enough for the NFL (recently; I'm not talking about Namath and Starr here).

I agree. I watched 2 years of McCarron at Bama and he never did anything spectacular. Above average game manager with a good arm. 

But back to the point. We as a city and as a fanbase have to change. We can't accept mediocrity or "acceptable" or "competent".  I want greatness. Anything less than great is unacceptable and should be upgraded. Tyrod was meh. Draft someone better. If they aren't good enough, draft someone better. 

It's not about accepting mediocrity. It's about securing the upgrade before you ship the decent/mediocre out of town first. Otherwise you run the risk that your shiny new toy ends up sucking and you take another step backward.

It's not about accepting mediocrity. It's about securing the upgrade before you ship the decent/mediocre out of town first. Otherwise you run the risk that your shiny new toy ends up sucking and you take another step backward.

Tyrod was not good. If the new shiny toy takes a step backwards their first year so be it. What if the new toy lights it up? I think a rookie QB can easily be the 31st best passing offensive in the league, I don't need Tyrod around for that. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

He was capable.  He just wasn't anything more than that.

Sounds a lot like Mayfield to me. Lots of yards after the catch with dinky passes.

And A.J. played in the offensive scheme he was given - I'm open to seeing what he can do this year.

Edited by Gramps

Tyrod was not good. If the new shiny toy takes a step backwards their first year so be it. What if the new toy lights it up? I think a rookie QB can easily be the 31st best passing offensive in the league, I don't need Tyrod around for that.

McDermott pretty much said there probably will be a step back next year in during yesterday’s press conference.

The drought is over, so even if the team takes a step back, build a team that can win championships

Taylor is better than anything else we've trotted out under center since Flutie. He may not have torched secondaries like Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees, but he didn't turn the ball over and he helped keep the team competitive. Do you remember JP Losman? Trent Edwards? Ryan Fitzpatrick? Brian Bohm? I know you remember EJ Manuel. I'd rather not risk going back to that. Taylor may not have had a super high ceiling, but he had a decently high floor more often than not. We could have kept him until the new guy proved to not only have a higher ceiling, but a comparable floor. 

If the FNG lights it up we could have moved on from Taylor then. To do it before hand is flat out irresponsible. The Massholes didn't move on from Bledsoe until they had Brady. The Packers didn't move on from Favre until they had Aaron Rodgers.

Taylor is better than anything else we've trotted out under center since Flutie. He may not have torched secondaries like Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees, but he didn't turn the ball over and he helped keep the team competitive. Do you remember JP Losman? Trent Edwards? Ryan Fitzpatrick? Brian Bohm? I know you remember EJ Manuel. I'd rather not risk going back to that. Taylor may not have had a super high ceiling, but he had a decently high floor more often than not. We could have kept him until the new guy proved to not only have a higher ceiling, but a comparable floor. 

If the FNG lights it up we could have moved on from Taylor then. To do it before hand is flat out irresponsible. The Massholes didn't move on from Bledsoe until they had Brady. The Packers didn't move on from Favre until they had Aaron Rodgers.

Sounds just like...

McDermott pretty much said there probably will be a step back next year in during yesterday’s press conference.

The drought is over, so even if the team takes a step back, build a team that can win championships

So they're already telling the public to expect a regression from last season? Looks like they won't be getting any of my money this season.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.