Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

I’d lay even odds that AJ McCarron can yield the same net QB impact as Taylor.

Which isn’t even saying enough to be damning with faint praise.

This is my expectation as well. Far fewer "OMG how did he escape that sack" first downs, offset by far fewer "he was wide open how did he miss him" or "screen pass to f##### Tolbert - again!?!" plays. In the end it will be more passing yards in a less spectacular way, and roughly the same productivity.

I'd also say the Bills outperformed their record last year, and were a 7-9 true-talent team that managed to go 9-7 and make the playoffs.

In the end it will be more passing yards in a less spectacular way, and roughly the same productivity.

I'd also say the Bills outperformed their record last year, and were a 7-9 true-talent team that managed to go 9-7 and make the playoffs.

That first piece is precisely my view of the matter.

That second piece is also spot-on. Remember that insane run of turnovers? The 2017 Bills were a 6-8 win team. It was glorious fun that they got 9 wins and snuck into the playoffs.

Also, not for nothing, they’d have probably beat the Jags that day if they had even slightly better quarterbacking.

This is my expectation as well. Far fewer "OMG how did he escape that sack" first downs, offset by far fewer "he was wide open how did he miss him" or "screen pass to f##### Tolbert - again!?!" plays. In the end it will be more passing yards in a less spectacular way, and roughly the same productivity.

Thing is.. defenses needed to game plan around Taylor's ability to run.    Without that running threat, defenses will have an easier time defending... which means fewer open receivers.

Thing is.. defenses needed to game plan around Taylor's ability to run. Without that running threat, defenses will have an easier time defending... which means fewer open receivers.

I'm sorry, what? How many designed runs existed last year? Teams didn't respect his running. It didn't open up the passing game. They were 31st in passing. Are you being facetious?

They also game plan relative to his limitations as a a passer. I bet it’s a wash.

How many times did we hear "we needed to make him be a QB and we did" after a dreary Bills loss the last two years?

It felt like after every loss that we had. That is not a compliment to your...QB. 

Bills fans are scared of stepping outside the 6-9 win bubble. 

Beane isn't. Let's do dis. 

I'm sorry, what? How many designed runs existed last year? Teams didn't respect his running. It didn't open up the passing game. They were 31st in passing. Are you being facetious?

Like Flagg said, teams that shut Taylor down said they "forced him to be a QB", meaning they didn't let him get outside the pocket.    He's at his best when he's on the move.     With a a pocket passer you can attack the pocket and not worry about them escaping pressure.     With Taylor they didn't attack the pocket, rather they contained him, which gave receivers more time to get open.   

With McCarron, you can bet opposing defenses will attack the pocket with a variety of schemes and blitzes.   This means he'll have less time to throw, less time for receivers to get open. 

I'm not trying to defend Taylor... My point is that McCarron (or whoever) is back there, won't be facing the same fronts and types of pressure that Taylor did.    Receivers won't have as much time to get open.

Like Flagg said, teams that shut Taylor down said they "forced him to be a QB", meaning they didn't let him get outside the pocket. He's at his best when he's on the move. With a a pocket passer you can attack the pocket and not worry about them escaping pressure. With Taylor they didn't attack the pocket, rather they contained him, which gave receivers more time to get open.

With McCarron, you can bet opposing defenses will attack the pocket with a variety of schemes and blitzes. This means he'll have less time to throw, less time for receivers to get open.

I'm not trying to defend Taylor... My point is that McCarron (or whoever) is back there, won't be facing the same fronts and types of pressure that Taylor did. Receivers won't have as much time to get open.

Taylor didn't recognize the open route. He didn't throw into space. He didn't scare defenses. They contained him because he wasn't a threat.

Of course McCaron will see different fronts, it's the NFL. That doesn't mean receivers won't be open. If you rush 7, someone is open. I just don't get your point. Tyrod isn't good. I don't think aj is good. The bills need to draft a top qb.

Taylor didn't recognize the open route. He didn't throw into space. He didn't scare defenses. They contained him because he wasn't a threat.

Of course McCaron will see different fronts, it's the NFL. That doesn't mean receivers won't be open. If you rush 7, someone is open. I just don't get your point. Tyrod isn't good. I don't think aj is good. The bills need to draft a top qb.

Somebody arguing that McCarron will be better than Taylor because he won't miss as many open receivers.    My point is that McCarron won't get those same looks from the pocket that Taylor did, so even though McCarron may have a more accurate arm, he won't have as many of those same opportunities to hit open receivers as Taylor did.

But yeah, I agree, they need to draft a top flight QB.    

Somebody arguing that McCarron will be better than Taylor because he won't miss as many open receivers. My point is that McCarron won't get those same looks from the pocket that Taylor did, so even though McCarron may have a more accurate arm, he won't have as many of those same opportunities to hit open receivers as Taylor did.

But yeah, I agree, they need to draft a top flight QB.

McCaron is mediocre like Taylor. It isn't about accuracy. Teams didn't respect Taylor throwing. It is a wash comparing that with AJ. You assume teams will magically be able to cover the receivers better. Why? Because a linebacker can drop into coverage? Okay, a good qb will look at that and recognize if that is happening or that linebacker is rushing. If they drop go to another read. What if we draft Rosen? He's not running so receivers won't be open for him? It's the NFL, most receivers aren't open.

McCaron is mediocre like Taylor. It isn't about accuracy. Teams didn't respect Taylor throwing. It is a wash comparing that with AJ. You assume teams will magically be able to cover the receivers better. Why? Because a linebacker can drop into coverage? Okay, a good qb will look at that and recognize if that is happening or that linebacker is rushing. If they drop go to another read. What if we draft Rosen? He's not running so receivers won't be open for him? It's the NFL, most receivers aren't open.

I suppose with somebody like Rosen the receivers won't need as much separation for him to throw the ball, so he doesn't need as much time to wait for guys to be breaking open down the field.    

I’d lay even odds that AJ McCarron can yield the same net QB impact as Taylor.

Which isn’t even saying enough to be damning with faint praise.

I'll take that bet. Taylor's stats last year were nothing to write home about but I'd be willing to bet McCarron does worse in most categories and might even do worse in all of them.

15 games started, 62.6 completion percentage, 2799 yards passing, 14 passing tds, 4 ints, 427 rushing yards, 4 rushing tds, 1 fumble, 89.2 rating, 9-7 record.

I'd be willing to do either an avatar bet or a username bet that these stats from Taylor last year will be better than McCarron's stats this year.

Edited by Alkoholist

I'll take that bet. Taylor's stats last year were nothing to write home about but I'd be willing to bet McCarron does worse in most categories and might even do worse in all of them.

15 game, 62.6 completion percentage, 2799 yards passing, 14 passing tds, 4 ints, 427 rushing yards, 4 rushing tds, 1 fumble

I'd be willing to do either an avatar bet or a username bet that these stats from Taylor last year will be better than McCarron's stats this year.

I agree with you.  I still don't know why people are bringing up Taylor, as I wrote earlier.  If you watched McCarron at Alabama, you know what we're in for.  No comparison with Taylor is needed.

Edited by Eleven

15 games started, 62.6 completion percentage, 2799 yards passing, 14 passing tds, 4 ints, 427 rushing yards, 4 rushing tds, 1 fumble, 89.2 rating, 9-7 record.

For simplicity's sake, call it 3,226 offensive yards, 18 offensive TDs, 5 turnovers.  And ignore the record, as last year's depended on the turnover machine that we had in the first half.

(I'm not taking the bet, just simplifying it since McCarron wouldn't be the running QB Tyrod is.  Personally, I think we start the QB we draft either immediately or shortly into the season unless McCarron knocks Sean's socks off.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.