Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

19 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It’s the same line and receivers Matt Barkley played with.

I would legitimately question any notion that what we’ve seen from Allen to this point is enough to create “hope.”

Yes.  And Matt Barkley, while hardly an all-star, isn't a rookie, either.  (And it wasn't the same defense that Barkley played against.  Do the Jets even have a defense?)  

Allen was good today.  

It's ok for us to have nice things.

Edited by Eleven
  • Thanks (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, inkman said:

They will give him next season. Hopefully they'll add a couple linemen and WR. Maybe one each from free agency and they draft.

I still prefer giving a QB 40 games (2.5 seasons) for evaluation.  

As for the line, I hope they come from free agency and not the draft.

I don't care where the receivers come from.  With a few exceptions, receivers are a dime a dozen.  Clap Clap has been shopping at the wrong bakery, is all.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yes.  And Matt Barkley, while hardly an all-star, isn't a rookie, either.  (And it wasn't the same defense that Barkley played against.  Do the Jets even have a defense?)  

Allen was good today.  

It's ok for us to have nice things.

But he legitimately wasn’t.

People need to stop looking for instant gratification. Most of the best QB's took 2-3 years to develop, either by riding the bench and learning from the veteran starter, or by having 2-3 bad years and learning from their mistakes. My god, the dude's only played six games. 

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I still prefer giving a QB 40 games (2.5 seasons) for evaluation.  

As for the line, I hope they come from free agency and not the draft.

I don't care where the receivers come from.  With a few exceptions, receivers are a dime a dozen.  Clap Clap has been shopping at the wrong bakery, is all.

Sorry, I missed your post. I agree with you 100%. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Who was the last QB to look very bad in their first year only to develop into a franchise QB a couple years later?

739E292E-F1B9-4177-B313-0C6650DE5A4E.gif

Goff? He went from 1k yards in his 7 starts as a rookie in 2016 to currently leading a top 3 team in the NFL whose only loss is to one of the other two top 3 teams. He's #3 in QB rating behind Breesus and Mahomes. 26-6 TD-INT compared to 5-7 his rookie year. 67.7% completion compared to 54.6% as a rookie. He's also on pace for a 5,000 yard season.

Edited by JujuFish

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Goff's rookie year numbers look pretty similar to Allen's, innit?

Not to say anything else about them is similar.

Goff is a good one - though we’ve got the wrong Sean coaching our young QB right now.

1 minute ago, JujuFish said:

Goff? He went from 1k yards in his 7 starts as a rookie in 2016 to currently leading a top 3 team in the NFL whose only loss is to one of the other two top 3 teams. He's #3 in QB rating behind Breesus and Mahomes. 26-6 TD-INT compared to 5-7 his rookie year. 67.7% completion compared to 54.6% as a rookie. He's also on pace for a 5,000 yard season.

Indeed. He’s THE example you hope for with Allen though the chances of replicating that roster and coaching changeover here vs LA is incredibly unlikely.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Trubisky, Goff, Wentz, etc

Trubisky hasn’t reached a height yet and wasn’t as bad as current Josh Allen (i.e. “very bad”).

Carson Wentz was absolutely not “very bad” his rookie year. He was flat out good. He made a huge leap to MVP level his second season but he was already good.

There is no “etc.” The list is short. Goff is a good example. Trubisky debatable. Both guys went from out of touch coaches to creative offensive minds in their second seasons. We won’t get that, unfortunately.

Interesting the both McCoy and Kyle Williams didn’t back up their players when asked about the fight after the game.

McCoy said he doesn’t support fighting so he refused to talk about it. Said it’s stupid because you’ll end up hurt or suspended.

Kyle said he decided not to enter the fight because it would’ve taken too much energy out of him and he needed to get ready for the next play.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I've only seen 5 minutes of this game. Looking at the stat line, I just hope that Allen can be a "mobile pocket passer" rather than a "running QB" because I have no interest in the latter. How has he looked passing?

By my count, there were three throws that were poor and his fault.

I thought he looked promising. Mind you: He still does not project as the sort of QB I covet. But he showed some stuff yesterday.

13 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

What was the crowd chanting? Sean, you suck? Stanley Cup?

“Ramsey sucks!”

Directed to Jax’s sh1t-talking DB who said Allen was “trash.”

13 hours ago, Hoss said:

Our rookie QB just completed eight passes in an ugly win. The only thing that gave me any sort of hope was Edmunds’ play.

Weird take.

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He looks like the guy from Wyoming. A highlight here and there, some scrambles, some bad inaccurate passes. 

Not totally unfair. At the time of the draft, a few people said Beane took Allen to become Cam 2.0. It may pan out. I still don’t love the approach, philosophy.

8 hours ago, Hoss said:

Looking at their schedule there is a very real chance the Bills end up 7-7 going into New England. Miami week 17. Could be an 8-8 team. Really excited for a weak draft pick.

I’ll take the QB progress and FA attraction that 8-8 would likely signify.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Interesting the both McCoy and Kyle Williams didn’t back up their players when asked about the fight after the game.

McCoy said he doesn’t support fighting so he refused to talk about it. Said it’s stupid because you’ll end up hurt or suspended.

Kyle said he decided not to enter the fight because it would’ve taken too much energy out of him and he needed to get ready for the next play.

Two vets with HOF/WOF careers. They’ve earned the right to be like “nah.”

I read Williams’ quote on the subject. That was some strong old man logic there.

A little surprised by the coverage of Allen’s day. I’m seeing many people say it was easily his best day (it wasn’t nearly as good as Minnesota). A lot of “he passed the eye test” comments. He had the 75 yard throw which was great. A few other good throws. But also some more bad misses and still only eight completions on 19 attempts. That’s now three games under 50% and 50% isn’t even a good benchmark. That’s six of seven games below 60% which is also still a meh benchmark but at least decent.

That wasn’t a good performance even if he’s just a rookie. And I’m not buying the excuse that Barkley’s performance was purely because he’s a vet. He’s been terrible and he hadn’t started in years. I still feel next to no hope based on what I’ve seen. I’m not giving up but I’m 100% not celebrating the performance yesterday. 42% is laughable.

10 hours ago, Hoss said:

It’s the same line and receivers Matt Barkley played with.

I would legitimately question any notion that what we’ve seen from Allen to this point is enough to create “hope.”

Jests were no covering anyone... nor rushing, they laid down... Jags did not.  Agreed Barkley throws a nice ball but put him under pressure and see what he does...

45 minutes ago, Hoss said:

A little surprised by the coverage of Allen’s day. I’m seeing many people say it was easily his best day (it wasn’t nearly as good as Minnesota). A lot of “he passed the eye test” comments. He had the 75 yard throw which was great. A few other good throws. But also some more bad misses and still only eight completions on 19 attempts. That’s now three games under 50% and 50% isn’t even a good benchmark. That’s six of seven games below 60% which is also still a meh benchmark but at least decent.

That wasn’t a good performance even if he’s just a rookie. And I’m not buying the excuse that Barkley’s performance was purely because he’s a vet. He’s been terrible and he hadn’t started in years. I still feel next to no hope based on what I’ve seen. I’m not giving up but I’m 100% not celebrating the performance yesterday. 42% is laughable.

You still could be right, or it could be Allen needs some maturity like Barkley... seems like sitting out did Barkley some good... wouldn't mind seeing Barkley start every other game so Allen can learn from his mistakes... Bills offensive coaching staff or McClappy seems to missing the development point, might want to call JBOTs and Phil Housley.

43 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

There were several drops on what should've been easy catches and i counted 5 penalties that took completions away. Allen is still young and raw, but i believe he will get better and better

This is a good point. Sal from WGR pointed out this morning that 2 of Allen's best throws were erased by penalties (on consecutive plays, no less).

Which reminds me: The officiating crew looked and acted old, confused, and overwhelmed.

18 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This is a good point. Sal from WGR pointed out this morning that 2 of Allen's best throws were erased by penalties (on consecutive plays, no less).

Which reminds me: The officiating crew looked and acted old, confused, and overwhelmed.

The head referee was a dead ringer for Robert Kraft.  Why are football referees always so old?

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

True, but they came through when they needed to (on the JAX drive that ended in the missed FG just prior to the Bill's go-ahead TD).  ?

Edited by Doohickie

30 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

They acted old because? They were confused? Are all confused people old? Ageism should have no place on our board or in our society.

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The head referee was a dead ringer for Robert Kraft.  Why are football referees always so old?

Funny... in the bar where I was watching the game, one of the guys googled him to see how old he was.  The first hit was a site that declared him "the 12th member of the New England Patriots." 

They're old for the same reason that baseball umps are so old:  union and seniority.  Joe West, if I remember right, is the head of the umpires union, so naturally he encourages rules that keep his 66-year-old butt employed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.