Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

4 minutes ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

Exactly. NFL history shows that teams adapt to trends all the time. Defenses will adjust to the KC offense in time. Right now, many defenses aren't built to contain them. The Bengals were one of those teams on Sunday. Any team that is deep at CB, has fast LB's, and can dial up creative blitz packages should be able to slow Mahomes down this year.

Also, it should be noted that having an identity of a "ball-control offense" does not necessarily mean that the offense is incapable of scoring quickly when circumstances warrant it. Every offense, for example, runs 2-minute drills and has specialized players on the roster needed to execute these plays.

And of course I don't subscribe to the idea that scoring in 4 minutes is inherently superior to scoring in 8 minutes. Time of possession is often a very important factor in deciding games.

Can't possess the ball when you run up the gut 3 times and punt. 

Slowing Mahomes down... the Bengals sure slowed him down. 4tds and 358yrds passing. So slow. 

The days of running 40 offensive plays with 30 of them being runs are over. Why run for 4 yards when I can throw it for 14? 

Edited by LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Can't possess the ball when you run up the gut 3 times and punt. 

Slowing Mahomes down... the Bengals sure slowed him down. 4tds and 358yrds passing. So slow. 

Where are you going with this?

Running up the gut 3 times and punting isn't an example of a ball-control offense. That's an example of a bad offense.

Right, my point was that the Bengals didn't slow Mahomes down. They are one of many defenses that may not be built to adequately do so. The Bills, oddly enough, may only be a solid #2 CB away from being one of those teams that can match up well with KC.

8 minutes ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

Where are you going with this?

Running up the gut 3 times and punting isn't an example of a ball-control offense. That's an example of a bad offense.

Right, my point was that the Bengals didn't slow Mahomes down. They are one of many defenses that may not be built to adequately do so. The Bills, oddly enough, may only be a solid #2 CB away from being one of those teams that can match up well with KC.

Okay, so you have two shut down corners, all you do is leak a RB or TE out of the backfield. Easy throw for 5-10 yards depending on linebackers. 

Or you have Kareem Hunt or Todd Gurley so you see there are 7 guys in the box showing blitz from the right, run left. 

Spread offense is where the NFL is at and that genie isn't going back in the box. Running the ball only works if teams are afraid you are going to pass on them and they need a reason to be afraid of that. So go ahead and build an offense around running 30 times and throwing 15 times. You will see man coverage with 1 safety and your run game will become what the Bills run game did, useless. 

Edited by LGR4GM

48 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The league isn't going back to running all the time, ever. The reason is simple, the rules are designed to throw the ball. QB's and WR's are protected in every way possible making it easier than ever to get them the ball. 

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I think, for pi's situation to unfold, we would need a lot of rules to get changed back, and I see no indication that the league has any interest in this. 

It pays to throw to guys who will draw yellow if any serious attempt to cover them is made. 

Yep. The SS Ground and Pound? She has sailed. Never to return to port. The NFL has intentionally set about creating a sort of Frankenstein of a game that is specifically designed  to reward teams that feature the pass. 

As a grizzled old timer often said at a domino table I used to frequent (typically when I was trying in vain to resist the board's direction): "Son, don't fight the government."

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

^

Are you counting the brawl he started at a high school football game -- several years after he had graduated from said high school?

Come on.  Who hasn't charged the field years after graduating?  I'm actually planning on doing exactly that later this week.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

It's going to flip back to run and stop the run.     Passing is at it's peak.    Defenses are currently very light up front and drafting lean lanky LBs that can cover.

Some team is going to come along that just pounds the ball with a big physical OL and RB, and they won't be stopped, then the rest of the league will need to adjust. 

The Jaguars tried it. Last a year. We’ll see if they come back when Fournette does.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

What's that, like strike 4 for Kelly?  Two incidents in Buffalo, at least one in college, and this.  Wonder why Johnny Law hasn't locked him up at least once yet.  Oh, wait, no I don't.

DqNP9soVAAIdRew.jpg:large

He's got Ryan Miller eyes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

^

Are you counting the brawl he started at a high school football game -- several years after he had graduated from said high school?

Of course I am.  Typical St. Joe's behavior.

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

He's got Ryan Miller eyes.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

That wasn't MNF though. That was when the blizzard hit and they had to move the game to Detroit. 

Um, the game was held on a Monday evening (aka night) & though it was Bills & Jets technically the sport they play IS American rules football (though there are those that would argue otherwise); so the game WAS actually Monday night football. :p

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

That wasn't MNF though. That was when the blizzard hit and they had to move the game to Detroit. 

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Um, the game was held on a Monday evening (aka night) & though it was Bills & Jets technically the sport they play IS American rules football (though there are those that would argue otherwise); so the game WAS actually Monday night football. ?

Gotta go with Flagg on this one.  The Detroit game doesn't count.

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Gotta go with Flagg on this one.  The Detroit game doesn't count.

Just because the game was aired on CBS w/ Spero Dedes & Solomon (Buffalo Beels) Wilcots does not make it a Sunday afternoon game.  

It was a game ahead of its time - the 1st Monday "flex" game. ;)

41 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Just because the game was aired on CBS w/ Spero Dedes & Solomon (Buffalo Beels) Wilcots does not make it a Sunday afternoon game.  

It was a game ahead of its time - the 1st Monday "flex" game. ?

It's "Buffalo Bews"

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Eleven said:

"Monday Night Football" is a television show much like "Hockey Night in Canada."  The Bills were not on that show in Detroit in 2014.

I'm with you on this. Was it even a national broadcast? I don't remember.

28 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I'm with you on this. Was it even a national broadcast? I don't remember.

Nope.  Just in the teams' markets.

Also, the last sentence of this article:  http://www.espn.com/nfl/story?id=11911190&_slug_=new-york-jets-buffalo-bills-game-moved-monday-detroit

Not a MNF game.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.