Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

There are plenty of lawyers out there who can't string a sentence together.

That letter-statement-press-release was very unimpressive work product.

And as a result, it's natural to think that she might be facing an uphill battle with that legal representation.  But anyway, you know things are incredibly messed up already when the victim is quickly getting statements out there through a lawyer.  I'm not sure which came out first since I'm seeing them at pretty much the same time, the police statement or the lawyer's statement.  These women probably hurt their case right off the bat by throwing the accusations at McCoy online immediately.

18 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

There are plenty of lawyers out there who can't string a sentence together.

That letter-statement-press-release was very unimpressive work product.

To the first sentence:  Some of them are on this board. ?  Some of them especially can't after a few drinks. ?

To the second sentence: It was a piece of trash statement that appeared more to be arguments in the court of public opinion rather than a court of law.

1 minute ago, LTS said:

It was a piece of trash statement that appeared more to be arguments in the court of public opinion rather than a court of law.

Well, yeah, for sure. I don't have any problem with lawyers in their position putting out a press release that's designed to bring extreme pressure to bear on their client's opponent. For a public figure like McCoy, that sort of stuff can be far more effective, and expeditious, than slogging through the courts.

3 minutes ago, LTS said:

To the first sentence:  Some of them are on this board. ?  Some of them especially can't after a few drinks. ?

To the second sentence: It was a piece of trash statement that appeared more to be arguments in the court of public opinion rather than a court of law.

What are sentence.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Probably a big part of why the lawyer told the woman to remove the post.

I doubt that has anything to do with it. It was removed well before her follow up, and there's two conflicting claims so who knows who is telling the truth.

McCoy's lawyer is Ray Lewis' lawyer from the double-murder case, and he was also a part of Big Ben's legal team back in 2010.

Edited by Hoss

45 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I doubt that has anything to do with it. It was removed well before her follow up, and there's two conflicting claims so who knows who is telling the truth.

By "her follow up" do you mean the lawyer?  Anyway, if you are going to throw a laundry list of accusations like that out at someone, every single one better be completely air tight or else you introduce doubt into the equation.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

By "her follow up" do you mean the lawyer?  Anyway, if you are going to throw a laundry list of accusations like that out at someone, every single one better be completely air tight or else you introduce doubt into the equation.

Yep.

Just now, WildCard said:

Why does the NFL have to suck. NBA offseason is just a reality TV show. MLB and NHL? Just big free agents and trades.

NFL? Drugs, domestic abuse, sexual assaults...every year too. 

I always attribute the NFL's problems to a gladiator complex. These guys are trained all their lives to be these hyper-competitive tough, physical athletes and then the public is surprised that they have a hard time acting civilly in the off-season. I'm not trying to make excuses for objectively horrible behavior, but when you train yourself to be an indestructible bada$$ the odds are some of that attitude will make a handful of NFL'ers feel like the rules don't apply to them.

8 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Why does the NFL have to suck. NBA offseason is just a reality TV show. MLB and NHL? Just big free agents and trades.

I think a tiny part of it is sheer size of the league- much bigger sample pool. 

There's a good 30 for 30 doc (called Broke I think) about pro athletes going broke post career- you only have 1-3 years in the league on average, and a lot of the people who make it come from rather impoverished backgrounds (versus hockey/baseball)- so they don't use it wisely, they don't invest, they don't go to school, and they take part in the big money player culture. And that culture is all about the ice, babes, and partying. And they're young dudes. And sh!t happens in places where sh!tty people congregate. Think that culture overflows into the team element sometimes. But that's only part of it I'm sure. Tale as old as time, but our culture actually sort of cares now, and you hear about it more. 

Just now, josie said:

I think a tiny part of it is sheer size of the league- much bigger sample pool. 

There's a good 30 for 30 doc (called Broke I think) about pro athletes going broke post career- you only have 1-3 years in the league on average, and a lot of the people who make it come from rather impoverished backgrounds (versus hockey/baseball)- so they don't use it wisely, they don't invest, they don't go to school, and they take part in the big money player culture. And that culture is all about the ice, babes, and partying. And they're young dudes. And sh!t happens in places where sh!tty people congregate. Think that culture overflows into the team element sometimes. But that's only part of it I'm sure. Tale as old as time, but our culture actually sort of cares now, and you hear about it more. 

The lifestyle and going broke I get, but that's applicable to every sport. 

Thought about the sample size, but it's always the big name guys that are doing this in the NFL. It's never some dude off the practice squad, it's always some Pro Bowler or key piece to a team

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

The lifestyle and going broke I get, but that's applicable to every sport. 

Thought about the sample size, but it's always the big name guys that are doing this in the NFL. It's never some dude off the practice squad, it's always some Pro Bowler or key piece to a team

At least that we hear of... 

Yeah I don't know. It's bullsh!t and awful. Egos? The meanest dude makes it to the top? CTE? Culture? Probably a million thinkpieces out there on it, no real answer. 

Just now, josie said:

At least that we hear of... 

Yeah I don't know. It's bullsh!t and awful. Egos? The meanest dude makes it to the top? CTE? Culture? Probably a million thinkpieces out there on it, no real answer. 

My dad thinks it's steroids

11 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I think it's highly representative of the socio-economic surroundings they come from.  A large proportion of NFL players come from areas where this behavior is the norm and it's all they've known.  They may have money but that, unfortunately, does not change what they know.  

6 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

I always attribute the NFL's problems to a gladiator complex. These guys are trained all their lives to be these hyper-competitive tough, physical athletes and then the public is surprised that they have a hard time acting civilly in the off-season. I'm not trying to make excuses for objectively horrible behavior, but when you train yourself to be an indestructible bada$$ the odds are some of that attitude will make a handful of NFL'ers feel like the rules don't apply to them.

I'm sure it plays into it.

The key factors to me?

Most players know they only get a few short years in the league.  They've worked so hard that they want to live the lifestyle.  So they do it.

Living the lifestyle means they attract some unsavory people (if they weren't there all along).

They are protective of their lifestyle and don't want to let it go.

They are already likely making deficient decisions due to years of minor to major head trauma.

It's all a very bad cocktail.

While I agree that the other factors mentioned upthread are relevant, I also think football simply attracts more sociopaths than the other sports do, probably because (i) of the violent nature of the game and (ii) more young kids with violent tendencies are funneled into football.

For the record, I think most football players do not fit that description -- I just think a higher percentage fit that description than is found in other sports.

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

While I agree that the other factors mentioned upthread are relevant, I also think football simply attracts more sociopaths than the other sports do, probably because (i) of the violent nature of the game and (ii) more young kids with violent tendencies are funneled into football.

For the record, I think most football players do not fit that description -- I just think a higher percentage fit that description than is found in other sports.

Yeah, I've definitely heard the storyline "get him into football to straighten him out, get some aggression out on the other team, he'll grow out of it" except they're not grown by the time they hit draft age... champion that fire and in the wrong guy, you've got a problem. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.