Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

He threw for 56 yards in 3 quarters last season against the Saints while being demolished 47-10 at home

He threw under 100 yards in a full game one or two other times

His playoff performance left everything to be desired 

That's probably what they were thinking come discussions of the roster last Jan/Feb

And of course all of that is correct, too.

And yet, this regime has shown a willingness, a readiness to look beyond similar (or worse) failings or limitations with other players.

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

And of course all of that is correct, too.

And yet, this regime has shown a willingness, a readiness to look beyond similar (or worse) failings or limitations with other players.

If Nate Peterman starts more than 1-2 more games, or is retained at the end of this year, I'd buy that. 

The above speculation would require an extraordinary amount of evidence to be convincing. An extraordinary amount. We could start with examples of your second point, and flesh out the details and nuances of each situation. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

If Nate Peterman starts more than 1-2 more games, or is retained at the end of this year, I'd buy that. 

The above speculation would require an extraordinary amount of evidence to be convincing. An extraordinary amount. We could start with examples of your second point, and flesh out the details and nuances of each situation. 

You really need that much more with regard to Peterman? Sheesh. Okay, though.

Another name comes to mind: DiMarco. I watched Embedded. He is a darling of McDermott's. I read that he was the team's top-paid FA acquisition on the offence's side of the ball (can that be right? was he on the team last year?).

Anyway. I saw a Tweet that he played ONE snap on offence yesterday. ONE.

What is it about DiMarco that McDermott clearly finds so valuable?

Literally went and Googled for this: ""Len's been awesome. He's a mentor. He's a spiritual leader, not just for games, but in the locker room," fullback Patrick DiMarco said. "He's in here a good bit talking with guys. He's also been ears to listen sometimes when we need to get something off our chest. ... This is the most proactive chaplain I've had from a team standpoint. For Bible study we have at least 15 or 20 guys, and chapel it's more than 30."

Edited by That Aud Smell

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

Another name comes to mind: DiMarco. I watched Embedded. He is a darling of McDermott's. He was the team's top-paid FA acquisition on the offence's side of the ball.

I saw a Tweet that he played ONE snap on offence yesterday. ONE.

Yeah I smell fish. The emperor may not have any clothes. These guys haven't made me feel good about any of their decisions. In most cases, I can't figure out the reasoning at all. If McClappy and Carolina Refried Beane are here in 2 years I'll be shocked. They just aren't that smart.

In a league where Doug Pederson and other innovative coaches are taking the league by storm, we seem to have gotten stuck with dinosaurs. Not the cool dinosaurs like t-rex or Raptors. Just like the cows of the Mesozoic era that were just everyone else's food.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Another name comes to mind: DiMarco. I watched Embedded. He is a darling of McDermott's. I read that he was the team's top-paid FA acquisition on the offence's side of the ball (can that be right? was he on the team last year?).

Anyway. I saw a Tweet that he played ONE snap on offence yesterday. ONE.

Literally went and Googled for this: ""Len's been awesome. He's a mentor. He's a spiritual leader, not just for games, but in the locker room," fullback Patrick DiMarco said. "He's in here a good bit talking with guys. He's also been ears to listen sometimes when we need to get something off our chest. ... This is the most proactive chaplain I've had from a team standpoint. For Bible study we have at least 15 or 20 guys, and chapel it's more than 30."

DiMarco has been here at least for a year, yep. He is one in a line of great team guy FB signings that do nothing on the field. The one before him, I believe, was Felton. 

And I understand that there's a faith-based approach to McDermott's leading of men, but I think it's been established that this is pretty common. 

And w.r.t. Peterman - that is what I'd need to see to not be able to describe everything that has happened by fallen-through offseason plans (which has been suggested by legitimate sources, ie the Darnold/other UFA QB stuff) combined with preseason wool that had not just him but plenty of us fooled as well. It's not what I need to see from Peterman to be convinced he's dreadful. And even then, we're talking a lot more proof needed to support some vague notion of "kind of faith" and proper faith methods leading to the dumping of Tyrod and attachment to Peterman. Like, legitimate reports that it happened, kind of proof. The kind of proof that would make the Bills the talk of national radio, and not just sports radio.

To be clear - today McDermott did not declare a QB starter from what I've heard. Conventional wisdom suggests that this team (and I) want no part of Allen playing right now, so that he's not simply trotting NP out to get demolished again shows he knows that he's battling between Allen's development and losing the team. And probably hoping for a Matt Moore signing.

I don't think they've been smart. But everything makes sense without a whiff of that stink, a particular stink that would be an astounding, horrifying revelation. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't think they've been smart. But everything makes sense without a whiff of that stink, a particular stink that would be an astounding, horrifying revelation. 

Does it makes as much if not maybe a little more sense *with* a whiff?

I think it might.

And I’m not guessing at a horrifying revelation. I’m wondering whether those ... factors are squarely in the mix, consciously or otherwise. I suspect they are.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Does it makes as much if not maybe a little more sense *with* a whiff?

I think it might.

And I’m not guessing at a horrifying revelation. I’m wondering whether those ... factors are squarely in the mix, consciously or otherwise. I suspect they are.

What is it with the "consciously or otherwise" stuff?  Dude, you're really pushing this particular narrative, so you need to be clear.  Instead of dancing around the details, why not be brave and state exactly what it is you're talking about.  Are you "wondering" *wink-wink* if he's a Southern White Baptist Racist and using whatever criteria comes with that to evaluate players, or are you "wondering" *wink-wink* if he's a Holy Roller using whatever criteria comes with that to evaluate players?

If it's the former, I think you're on drugs.  If it's the latter, unfortunately I think you might be on to something.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I find it, interesting, how religion seems to seep into things regarding the Bills. Not sure it is intentional or not but, interesting none the less. 

Religion and race seep their way into everything on this board. Hand up, I just did it in the Ramsey thread. So much for the political club...

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Religion and race seep their way into everything on this board. Hand up, I just did it in the Ramsey thread. So much for the political club...

I don't mean with posters. I mean how the organization seems to be, idk the word, but linked or associated with religion. 

1 hour ago, ... said:

What is it with the "consciously or otherwise" stuff?  Dude, you're really pushing this particular narrative, so you need to be clear.  Instead of dancing around the details, why not be brave and state exactly what it is you're talking about.  Are you "wondering" *wink-wink* if he's a Southern White Baptist Racist and using whatever criteria comes with that to evaluate players, or are you "wondering" *wink-wink* if he's a Holy Roller using whatever criteria comes with that to evaluate players?

If it's the former, I think you're on drugs.  If it's the latter, unfortunately I think you might be on to something.

I’m not withholding anything. My thoughts are incomplete and disorganized. I think McDermott is a good and honourable man with good intentions. I do not in any way mean to imply that he’s some raving racist. No way.

But there’s something about the wrestling, the faith stuff, the ever present camo hat, the persona, the *process*.

And like I said to Flagg: I’m not theorizing that there’s some big secret. People are complicated. And multi faceted. Ambiguity abounds.

I think that there are some specific non-football considerations that McDermott brings to bear in personnel matters. I’m not exactly sure what they are. But they lead to a place where Pat DiMarco is a captain on offence.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I’m not withholding anything. My thoughts are incomplete and disorganized. I think McDermott is a good and honourable man with good intentions. I do not in any way mean to imply that he’s some raving racist. No way.

But there’s something about the wrestling, the faith stuff, the ever present camo hat, the persona, the *process*.

And like I said to Flagg: I’m not theorizing that there’s some big secret. People are complicated. And multi faceted. Ambiguity abounds.

I think that there are some specific non-football considerations that McDermott brings to bear in personnel matters. I’m not exactly sure what they are. But they lead to a place where Pat DiMarco is a captain on offence.

Okay, I get where you're coming from.  I think it's a fair place, too.  

The only thing I would say, though...and this isn't a defense of McDermott...is that everyone has something to which they refer internally.  Rex Ryan's internal reference, or, dare I say process, seemed to have led him to evaluate players in the manner "as long as they can play football and are able to have fun on the field..."  I would say Marv Levy's was "they have to be smart and disciplined" (although I'm really pushing my memory here).  

And these things, these words, while they have universal meaning, have a specific meaning to the individual making the call.  "Smart" to Levy might have a slew of characteristics, personal insight, and memories that are summarized in the one word that he uses to communicate the larger notion in his head.  

Maybe that will help identify what McDermott might have going on.  And as I said, I don't actually disagree...the concept of his "process" shows more holes as time goes on.  At one point I thought I got it, but what I got and the actual evidence are not lining up.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

Don't knock it. ANYTHING, is better to talk about than any of the steaming piles our teams have shat all over the place and will in the foreseeable future. I know I have said "Jesus Christ" more while watching these two jokes than at any other time in my life.

And Aud, I think you've been perfectly clear and reasonable in what you've been saying. I can't disagree with any of it.

56 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Here’s something else:  McD sounded pretty shell-shocked yesterday with Schopp and Chris.  Like someone staring into the abyss who didn’t expect to be there but knows he’s very much there.  

I agree, which isn't exactly confidence-inspiring. It's one thing for fans to buy into the hype and be overly hopeful--irrational exuberance is what fans do! I'll snark on it from time to time, but really, fans thinking their team will be better than it's likely to be is about as surprising as the sun coming up in the morning. But I really expect the people in charge of the team to know better. How could they possibly look at this roster and think it would produce anything other than bad football?* Did they really think Tyrod/Dennison were the problems on offense? Did they genuinely just overrate...everything...because they made the playoffs last year? So many questions. 

*I don't think every week is going to be a less of similar magnitude to the Ravens game. I think the defense will crawl its way to at least mediocre to keep things closer than 40 points. But we're definitely going to do a whole lot of losing.

27 minutes ago, Marions Piazza said:

It's unexplainable why McD loves Peterman, but it's kind of like that girlfriend that you have and EVERYONE knows she wrong for you, except you don't see it and say "you just don't know her like i do"

I genuinely believe Smell is on to something with McDermott. We can quibble about the why, but ultimately, I think he respects Peterman the person so much that it's completely skewing his judgment on Peterman the player. Even in the face of clear evidence, beliefs are difficult to change in people.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.