Trade Deadline Deals 2018 (Non-Sabres Thread)

Brawndo

Here's where I am at..

There were 2-3 teams in each conference that said they are all in on the Finals.  The rest decided that rather than make stupid moves to try and compete it would be wiser to make moves in moderation and see if they can be competitive.  If not, well, then let's give ourselves a shot for next year.  

There were a LOT of names out there and I think that make it more difficult.  Very few all out buyers and a lot of "I could go either way".

I look at the Blues dumping Stastny and basically signaling to their fans that this year probably is not it.  The Kings made no moves.  Calgary basically nothing.  Dallas, nothing.  Anaheim got Chimera.  San Jose got Kane but they were unlikely to want to give up too much to try and compete with Nashville, Winnipeg, and Vegas.  Any surprise that Nashville thumped St. Louis on Sunday and the Blues decide to basically pack it in for this year?

The East has become a race between Boston, Toronto, and Tampa.  Pittsburgh is hoping that Brassard can get them there and Washington pretty much passed.  The Islanders appear willing to waste a season as one of the highest scoring teams when they could have shored up their D and goaltending.  What does that say?  They've pretty much written off their chances of beating Washington/Pittsburgh this year.

Let the countdown to the draft begin.

The Rangers lost McDonagh, Nash, Miller, Grabner, Holden

For Namestnikov, Spooner, and the equivalent of Armia, Roslovic, Lemieux and Compher.

Three 20 goal scorers and a first-pairing defenceman.

Maybe those things are only hard to replace in Buffalo.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

IMO, the New York Rangers won the deadline week. What say you?

They achieved what they wanted for sure. Boston overpaid. Good returns all around. Solid moves towards a rebuild.

I'd say Tampa came out pretty good though. Got to be a cup favorite.

Best deal of the year though was the Duchene deal. Great for Colorado, good for Nashville, terrible for Ottawa. That was the deal of the year.

Tampa/Nashville cup final should be a good one. 

The Rangers lost McDonagh, Nash, Miller, Grabner, Holden

For Namestnikov, Spooner, and the equivalent of Armia, Roslovic, Lemieux and Compher.

Three 20 goal scorers and a first-pairing defenceman.

Maybe those things are only hard to replace in Buffalo.

Well the Rangers can go out in the off-season and sign FAs to help out if that's how they want to go. They normally have no trouble signing the top FAs...

The sad thing is, that's the countdown to the 2019 draft. We have another entire year wasting Eichel, RoR, Risto, and Reinhart, not to mention our own time

Perspective I suppose.  I feel more confident about this team and it's more immediate prospects than most.  I could get all Eeyore over the whole thing but why should I?

Not even close. But he's a center

In which universe is Kaner a better rental than Stastny? Especially at 3.5m?

He's not even a better player let alone rental.

He's played in 55 more playoff games than Kaner and has scored .79 ppg over his career. He has more assists in a couple of years than Kaner has ever scored in points!

One thing about Kaner, the team he leaves instantly becomes better. Be glad he is gone and you got what you did for him. Thanks for the laugh though. Just a heads  up, he won't be re-signing in SJ. Now where's that guy I bet that Kaner was going to be gone before his contract ended?

In which universe is Kaner a better rental than Stastny? Especially at 3.5m?

He's not even a better player let alone rental.

He's played in 55 more playoff games than Kaner and has scored .79 ppg over his career. He has more assists in a couple of years than Kaner has ever scored in points!

One thing about Kaner, the team he leaves instantly becomes better. Be glad he is gone and you got what you did for him. Thanks for the laugh though. Just a heads  up, he won't be re-signing in SJ. Now where's that guy I bet that Kaner was going to be gone before his contract ended?

Winnie fleeced us.

There.  I said it.

Winnie fleeced us.

There.  I said it.

only because TM gets over excited and gives up too much to get what he wants. He overpaid in the Kane deal, everyone knew Kane had to be moved and only the Sabres would take him out for the rest of that year and could give them something to help that year.

What makes the deal bad is that they couldn't re-sign him and had to move him.

Man, it was fun. Until it turned out to be way more accurate than we realized. Who knew you could be the GM of a team and also not have any idea what was going on with it? Revolutionary.

and yet I would still tune in to listen to him on GR if he was on right now.  <_>

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.