Extreme philosophical discussion

PASabreFan

I unwittingly brought a brown marmorated stink bug home from Raleigh at Christmastime. It was secreted in some old songbooks my niece had that I thought could sell on eBay (indeed the music sheet for Simon and Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water can go for 10-15 bucks, but I digress).

Being the bleeding heart that I am, I took a likin' to it and put it on a shelf on the steps to my basement and forgot about it. This morning it was back, exploring my kitchen. After googling and initially reading something disturbing about human health, I put it in a plastic tub for safe keeping.

Alas, although they are agricultural pests and can become a nuisance in homes, they don't bite, damage houses or spread disease. I have a lone bug that seemingly would have no way of mating. A map of their spread — which started in the late 90s when they were accidentally introduced to the Mid-Atlantic states from Asia — shows no data about these bugs' existence in northern PA.

https://www.epa.gov/safepestcontrol/brown-marmorated-stink-bug

Anywho... should I squash the thing? Would I be justified? Is all life precious? If I don't, could I visit a plague on crops around here? Should economic concerns be weighed in a life and death decision such as this?

All creatures, great and small

I like stink bugs. They're harmless. When I find them in the house I tend to get them onto a stick or a pencil or something and I carry them back outside.

We do the same thing with spiders. For the most part a spider around the house isn't much of a problem and maybe they'll eat other bugs that show up. We had a yellow sac spider hanging around this week who didn't seem super interested in us. As long as they aren't biting me in my sleep I tend to leave them alone. Just give your bath towel a shake first...

I like stink bugs. They're harmless. When I find them in the house I tend to get them onto a stick or a pencil or something and I carry them back outside.

We do the same thing with spiders. For the most part a spider around the house isn't much of a problem and maybe they'll eat other bugs that show up. We had a yellow sac spider hanging around this week who didn't seem super interested in us. As long as they aren't biting me in my sleep I tend to leave them alone. Just give your bath towel a shake first...

Yeah, I've never understood the squashing of bugs.

The releasing of bugs in the winter raises another moral question: aren't you in effect killing them?

I think you should take it back to Carolina on your next pillaging and release it back in it's native land.

Which means no evil experiments, or killing fields.

I had the very thought and I would have expected nothing less from you. I even thought of driving it back today. Then my medication kicked in.

Too bad we can't portmanteau pillage and pilgrimage.

Yeah, I've never understood the squashing of bugs.

The releasing of bugs in the winter raises another moral question: aren't you in effect killing them?

Possibly. Although I bet they got into your house somehow anyway, so if they're determined to be inside I bet they'll find a way. Our spider friend appears to have ventured back outside on his own this weekend due to the warm sun.

Possibly. Although I bet they got into your house somehow anyway, so if they're determined to be inside I bet they'll find a way. Our spider friend appears to have ventured back outside on his own this weekend due to the warm sun.

YOU DON'T LISTEN TO ME ANY MORE!!!!!!

Put it in a tiny little basket tied to a helium baloon .

That's one way of looking at it. The poor thing already got a ride from North Carolina to PA. Give it a really good send off now? They only live six to eight months anyway. Sorry NS.

Here's something for me to consider. I've now spent more time concerned about the life of a stinkbug than I have the people in Syria, starving kids in Africa...

Interesting question actually.

What to do with something not native to the area. Lets explore your options....

You could:

Deport it

Kill it

Let it live out its days in your house/a container

Set it free in the ecosystem

Give it to a domestic pet as a toy or snack

In all of these options, it doesn't end well for the bug.

Does it end well for any of us?

I put the plastic tub outside in my front flower bed and so far it hasn't crept out.

There's just something about this little guy. If he doesn't head into the mulch before dark, imma adopt him.

Or her.

Is this a species of stink bug that hasn’t infiltrated our region?

Our home in the Great Lakes region is fairly lousy with stink bugs in late summer and beyond.

I’m instinctively averse to bugs. I flush those stink bugs that I find.

I think this bug is almost everywhere in the U.S.

Yeah, just let it wander. Those suckers are everywhere. 

I think you should take it back to Carolina on your next pillaging and release it back in it's native land.

Which means no evil experiments, or killing fields.

I went home to Ohio once this summer, parked on the street down from my old house. Went to leave and found a spider bro had built a gorgeous web on my driver's side mirror/window. Didn't see him in it, went back to NY. Next morning- beautiful web, spider bro chillin' out. He was clearly living in my mirror and enjoying the benefits of tooling around town at 30-40- not fast enough to ruin his web, but enough to get him lots of bug snacks. But every time I'd drive over 50 mph, rain, or if I rolled my window too low, his marvelous silken creation would be destroyed. Next day, back again. 

Went back to Ohio a couple more times, parked in the same spot, figured he'd depart. Nope. He was my daily companion until winter really set in. I wonder where it is now- probably too cold to survive in my car. 

I named it Sam. The cat loves to point out Sam's adventures to me. Just hoping the cat doesn't try to consume Sam. 

... I like bugs. I have a soft spot for all living things, especially the many legged variety. 

(I thought you remarked that it would have no capacity to mate/reproduce thereabouts.)

Uh, yeah. I may be commenting a little above my usual area of expertise here. I think what I meant was that there'd be no chance in the immediate area in and outside my house. I mean, where is a North Carolina stinkbug going to get some action around here?

Anyway, Milan the Marmorated Stinkbug is gone. I hope to see him again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.