Vanek a HOF player? Are any 2003 forwards Hall worthy?

GASabresIUFAN

The 2003 draft class is considered one of the best ever. Guys like Pavelski, Moulson and Byfuglien were found in the 7th, 8th and 9th rounds. Names like Fleury, Weber, Suter, Burns, Bergeron, Getzlaf, Perry, Parise, Carter, Staal are household names in most hockey fan homes.

But how many of these guys have truly had HOF careers? Exempting Fleury and D Burns, Suter and Weber, how many, if any, of the forwards in this class belong in the hall. Right now, I’m not sure any except Getzlaf and maybe Bergeron.

So before you laugh at Vanek’s candidacy, please read the following. So far only 2 players, Staal and Dustin Brown have crossed the 1000 game threshold. No forward has averaged 1pt per game in their career. Getzlaf is closest with 242g 603a for 845 pts in 887 games. It doesn’t look like any of the top guns will reach 500 goals.

Right now Staal leads the forwards with 373g, 889 pts and games at 1060 (This is good for 112th on the NHL at time scoring list). Geztlaf (132nd on the all time list and only 82nd on the career pts/g list @.95) is second in pts, and first in assists. Perry is second in goals at 357 and Vanek, surprisingly, is 3rd at 347. Carter is 4th a 339. Perry is 3rd in pts at 742, Vanek 4th at 732 and Bergeron 5th in 713.

Of course Cup wins and other awards influence Hall worth, but should Vanek be punished for Sabres management destroying his team? The fact he is within 10 goals of Perry is amazing considering Perry played his career with Getzlaf, while Vanek played most of his career being centered by Derek Roy.

So should and will Vanek be considered for the Hall someday?

Edited by Georgia Flakt

I think Bergeron is definitely in. He is already tied for most Selkes in NHL history. Still has plenty of years to break that record and stand alone. He's actually pacing for a career high in goals and points this year too. Cup win under his belt, obviously.

I don't think anyone else is even a close to a sure thing. Getzlaf would be closest. Also a Cup win, closer to a PPG. But he's only ever broken 30 goals once.

Surprisingly, Bergy has only made 2 ASG and Getzlaf has only made 3. 

Technically Burns was drafted as a winger ;) 

Sabres Hall? Absolutely. His numbers compare favorable to Danny Gare's, and the Sabres put 18 in the rafters!

He's a no-brainer for Sabres HOF.

I would have loved to see what he could do on Eichel's wing this year.  Honestly, maybe even next year as a FA depending on how many guys we ship out.

I would have loved to see what he could do on Eichel's wing this year.  Honestly, maybe even next year as a FA depending on how many guys we ship out.

I'd be good with that.  Vanek as a supporting player would probably be a great addition to the team.

I'd be good with that.  Vanek as a supporting player would probably be a great addition to the team.

Really not sure why the Sabres didn't even kick the tires as he'd made it clear he'd've been interested in coming back.

If it was due to the gambling, wouldn't be surprised if ownership contined to hold it against him and keep him out of the Sabres HoF. (If thst wasn't the reason, then as Emily Lutella used to say: nevermind. ;) )

Its two UFA periods he actually wants to come back to the sabres, but they tell him no.    I think Pegula doesn't want him back.

To bad we could use someone like him, 25 goals a year and someone else than samson to screen the goalie.

Really not sure why the Sabres didn't even kick the tires as he'd made it clear he'd've been interested in coming back.

If it was due to the gambling, wouldn't be surprised if ownership contined to hold it against him and keep him out of the Sabres HoF. (If thst wasn't the reason, then as Emily Lutella used to say: nevermind. ;) )

Terry's call then? An NFL owner who has a problem with gambling?

Terry's call then? An NFL owner who has a problem with gambling?

Would appear that way. But really haven't heard anything about the reason for no interest in him. Speculation here, but considering the team's propensity for bringing former Sabres back into the fold, there has to be a reason a useful one wasn't even given a look-see.

Would appear that way. But really haven't heard anything about the reason for no interest in him. Speculation here, but considering the team's propensity for bringing former Sabres back into the fold, there has to be a reason a useful one wasn't even given a look-see.

Maybe Kim doesn't like Van's debbie downer poopy face?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.