Eichel Named to All-Star Team

sabills

Average Jack Eichel is still better than 90% of the league. People were down on Jack because we wanted to see him eclipse last years totals. Considering that the pp is dead and Jack is getting almost all his points at even strength, just imagine when the pp comes back.

Hopefully I'll live that long.

Liger, don't bring stats into the Eichel bashing. Not even calling out the other poster, I've seen some pretty heavy criticism of Jack. Got into it with my uncle over the holidays.

He's not only on pace for the highest point total of any Sabre over the past decade but he's doing it on a team that is historically bad at scoring goals. This isn't the 05-07 Sabres, obviously. On top of that the PP sucks and most these points are coming at even strength. Yes the team sucks. No Jack Eichel does not suck.

Liger, don't bring stats into the Eichel bashing. Not even calling out the other poster, I've seen some pretty heavy criticism of Jack. Got into it with my uncle over the holidays. He's not only on pace for the highest point total of any Sabre over the past decade but he's doing it on a team that is historically bad at scoring goals. This isn't the 05-07 Sabres, obviously. On top of that the PP sucks and most these points are coming at even strength. Yes the team sucks. No Jack Eichel does not suck.

lol you know me, if I think something is wrong I will argue all DAY! 

giphy.gif

You're too jaded.

Is he? We tanked for him, and he's fine, and we're still historically bad. Not really Jack's fault that the tank was dumb though.

I'm excited to see him in the skills competition.

Sarcasm. Meter. Flickering.

Depressing that some are now turning on our young star on pace for 73 points.  

Is that what we tanked for?

Average Jack Eichel is still better than 90% of the league.  People were down on Jack because we wanted to see him eclipse last years totals.  Considering that the pp is dead and Jack is getting almost all his points at even strength, just imagine when the pp comes back. 

Isn't Jack part of the reason the peeper is flaccid?

Jack Eichel

2016/17: 14 EV Goals, 10 PP goals / 19 EV Assists, 14 PP Assists (61 games)

2017/18: 16 EV Goals, 1 PP goals / 15 EV Assists, 5 PP Assists, 2 SH assists (43 games)

so in 18 less games, Eichel has all but equaled his previous season total amount of even strength scoring. I would say he has improved and if the powerplay was the pile of hot garbage it is, jack would easily be outperforming last year. 

Out of these assists, 18 of them have been primary this season (18/22)

I took the top 50 scorers on NHL.com.  I looked at their total points and then calculated their percentage against the number of goals scored by the team.  It's not perfect as I believe the stats will give a team a goal in the stats column for a shootout win (even though no players get points).

There are 5 players whose point totals are 40% or greater of the goals their team has scored.

Giroux - 52 points (Flyers: 123 goals)

Gaudreau - 49 points (Flames: 116 goals)

Voracek - 51 points (Flyers: 123 goals)

McDavid - 48 points (Oilers: 118 goals)

Eichel - 39 points (Sabres: 96 goals)

Eichel is clearly what drives the offense in Buffalo and as such deserves to be there regardless of every team having a representative.

Interesting is that the Leafs have the 4th most goals scored and no players in the top 50 in scoring.  The teams above them, Lightning, Jets, Islanders have 4,3, and 4 players in the top 50 respectively.  The Knights are 5th in goals and have 3 in the top 50.

Toronto is pretty balanced.

Is he? We tanked for him, and he's fine, and we're still historically bad. Not really Jack's fault that the tank was dumb though.

Sarcasm. Meter. Flickering.

Is that what we tanked for?

Isn't Jack part of the reason the peeper is flaccid?

I’ll say yes. 40 points in a little over 43 games, at 20/21, is damn good. And he’s getting better.

This is what happens when you put a really good player on a really bad team. More than 1 out of every 3 goals the Sabres have scored this year have either been scored by Jack Eichel or directly assisted by him.

Currently #1 in the league on this metric.

This is what happens when you put a really good player on a really bad team. More than 1 out of every 3 goals the Sabres have scored this year have either been scored by Jack Eichel or directly assisted by him.

Currently #1 in the league on this metric.

If only someone said that yesterday before the game (when he clearly jumped to #1 from #5).  Oh.. I did. Yes, my shoulder is sore now but my back feels better.  :)

Jack Eichel, 41points in 44 games on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.  

Let's not kid ourselves.   All those 1 goal losses, I count 22 of them... if he was truly generational he'd have about 55-60 points at this juncture and maybe half of those one goal losses would be flipped to victories.... vautling this team 15-18 points up the standings into a potential playoff position.   

I understand that's harsh criticism, but I believe he has the talent to do that, even on a bad team.    eg, who was Kevin Stevens before Lemieux came along?  Look what Tavares did for Moulson... those guys were on bad teams too. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.