GDT Sabres at Winnipeg 1/5/18 8pm MSG, GR

Brawndo

They play again tonight.

Samson is on a two game goal streak.

Go Sabres

Risto was on a 2 game goal streak and ended up watching the game from the press box.  I wonder if Reino can pull off the same feat?

I'll probably have the game on tonight.. because I still relish the times my son and I can sit down and watch a game of hockey together.  I'll hate it.  He'll hate it.  But we'll probably enjoy it a little bit as well.

Seriously, what's the point?

No idea. For me personally, the 2017-18 Buffalo Sabres are the most unlikeable sports team I have ever followed. I now only show up to this message board 5 or so times a week for the Buffalo Bills thread and to see the latest NHL trade rumors. Can't wait until this roster is blown up in February!

Glad to see Reinhart and Kane get goals yesterday although I missed it because it was all I could stand when it became 6-0.

It will be interesting to see if Kane still gets booed here

6 Goals 11 Saves, not a very good stat line for any Goalkeeper

I'll be watching because they couldn't get any worse than they were yesterday. Here's some game previews from ESPN and the Winnepeg Sun

ESPN Preview:

WINNIPEG, Manitoba -- If the Winnipeg Jets could figure out how to play in overtime or the shootout, look out.

Sitting in second place in the ultra-competitive Central Division with 53 points, the Jets have lost all six of their games that have been decided in overtime this season and they've won one of the two contests that went to a shootout. The lone post-regulation victory was over the Philadelphia Flyers on Nov. 16.

Avalanche defenseman Erik Johnson orchestrated the latest setback, a 3-2 overtime loss in Denver on Tuesday night, by beating Connor Hellebuyck on a breakaway with less than 10 seconds to play in the fourth period.

"I'm sick of these overtime losses," the 24-year-old netminder told The Winnipeg Sun. "I know this isn't how the playoffs are going to go, but I'd like to have these points. I thought we deserved more."

In the silver-lining department, the Jets salvaged a point after trailing 2-0 following the second period. Captain Blake Wheeler scored both Jets goals, one to start the period and the second with 33 seconds left in regulation. They also outshot the Avs 44-26.

The Jets welcomed defenseman Dustin Byfuglien back to the lineup in Denver, after he missed 10 games with a lower-body injury. He has 15 assists in 29 games but is still looking for his first goal of the year. He nearly ended things Tuesday but was foiled by Jonathan Bernier on a breakaway seconds before Colorado scored.

It appears as if Toby Enstrom could join him against Buffalo. The diminutive Swedish rearguard has been out with a lower-body injury since mid-November. He exchanged his non-contact jersey at practice Thursday for a full-contact one.

The Sabres flew into town immediately following a 6-2 thumping at the hands of the Minnesota Wild on Thursday night, a game that only looks semi-respectable because the Wild took their foot of the accelerator after building a six-goal lead through two periods.

"It was really nothing that Minnesota did -- they capitalized on their opportunities I'll give them credit -- but it was what we gave them," Sabres coach Phil Housleysaid. "We gave them too much, we left too much on the table when we didn't have to. Playing on the road like this against a good team fighting for a playoff spot, we knew they were going to try to come and we've just got to be smart about it and tonight we weren't."

It's possible the Sabres could be without the services of defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen, who was assessed a five-minute major for interference and a game misconduct for his open-ice headshot on Wild captain Mikko Koivu in the first period.

It's not known yet whether the hit will yield any further discipline from the league but Koivu, who went to the locker room for some stitches, returned with a puffy lip to score his team's fifth goal.

"I think there should have been a call on the play, but I don't agree with five minutes," said Housley, who was a star defenseman for Jets 1.0 in the early 1990s.

WINNEPEG SUN Preview:

Winnipeg Jets vs Buffalo Sabres

THE BIG MATCHUP

Stopping Kane, Eichel

They likely won’t be on the same line, but Evander Kane and Jack Eichel are far and away the Sabres’ top guns, with 15 goals apiece going into Thursday’s game in Minnesota. Nobody else had hit double digits, whereas the Jets have six players with 10 or more goals.

KEYS TO THE GAME

Life without Scheif

Three games in, the Jets are 2-0-1 since top centre Mark Scheifele went down with an apparent shoulder injury. Can converted centre Blake Wheeler and kid wingers Kyle Connor and Patrik Laine keep it going, producing while not being defensive liabilities?

Help for the captain

Wheeler is on fire, with four goals in his last three games. Nik Ehlers (six games without a goal), Laine (five) and Andrew Copp (11) are among those who aren’t. Others have been chipping in, though. As long as somebody does.

The right mindset

It would be easy to take the Sabres lightly. A mistake, too. Yeah, they’re dead-last in the East and have the league’s worst power play. They’re still an NHL team that can beat one that’s not ready to play.

On ’em early

You could say this about every Jets home game, but it’s especially true against a tired Buffalo team coming off a game in Minnesota, Thursday night. Reminding the Sabres early they’re not very good is probably halfway to beating them. They were 2-12-2 when trailing after one period.

The goalies

Paul Maurice has no immediate plans to rest Connor Hellebuyck, and if the Jets No. 1 goalie doesn’t give his coach a reason to, he can hold the net indefinitely. For now, he just has to out-play whomever’s at the other end.

LETS GO BUFFALO

post-4541-0-27137300-1515166588_thumb.jpg   VS  post-4541-0-06312900-1515166628_thumb.png

Edited by jsb

Make sure to keep an eye out for the season half-way point Lost Point Countdown thread retrospective extravaganza! (Just kidding, I will do the math after the game, however).

It's not any better than it was the last time; even without the math, I know the uptick of better play and more points isn't  making up any ground.

I’ll watch because I always do. I can hope they play better but I won’t hold my breathe. I’m excited to watch Laine. I guarantee he won’t be skating through mid ice with his head down this year.

There are two things that my untrained eye sees with this Sabres team:

1.) Their passing is atrocious.

2.) They are always trying a stretch pass for the defensive zone exit which fails due to #1 or the winger is standing flat footed on the blue line with 1 to 2 defenders nearby who easily breakup the play or the winger tips the puck into the zone and races off for a change. In most circumstances the result is that the opposing team gets possession.

I don’t understand why our defense doesn’t carry the puck or hold the puck while players change. It’s like hot potato... just give it back to the opponent as soon as you get it. That doesn’t seem like a formula for winning at the NHL level. I thought Housley would improve our defense but it just seems to be getting worse.

I’ll watch because I always do. I can hope they play better but I won’t hold my breathe. I’m excited to watch Laine. I guarantee he won’t be skating through mid ice with his head down this year.

There are two things that my untrained eye sees with this Sabres team:

1.) Their passing is atrocious.

2.) They are always trying a stretch pass for the defensive zone exit which fails due to #1 or the winger is standing flat footed on the blue line with 1 to 2 defenders nearby who easily breakup the play or the winger tips the puck into the zone and races off for a change. In most circumstances the result is that the opposing team gets possession.

I don’t understand why our defense doesn’t carry the puck or hold the puck while players change. It’s like hot potato... just give it back to the opponent as soon as you get it. That doesn’t seem like a formula for winning at the NHL level. I thought Housley would improve our defense but it just seems to be getting worse.

He was billed as the "defensive-whisperer" but he may need to speak up because I don't think anyone has heard a damn word he's said at this point.

Who starts in net tonight? What are Lehner's back-to-back stats when he gets pulled in the 1st game?

Wonder if PH will keep the lines the same, seems like they could use a shaking up to me.

Eichel ended the game on a line with Kane and Pommenville. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same lines tonight as PH rolled out in the 3P last night.

Eichel ended the game on a line with Kane and Pommenville. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same lines tonight as PH rolled out in the 3P last night.

Yes, and I'm curious to see more of O'Reilly with Reinhart, like 3P last night.

I don't want to see ERod at center, anymore, though. I think he should be a 3rd/4th line winger. I think Josefson has earned at least a trial at 3C, and Larsson should be 4C.

Just because the ship's going down doesn't mean we can't do it in style...

Yes, and I'm curious to see more of O'Reilly with Reinhart, like 3P last night.

I don't want to see ERod at center, anymore, though. I think he should be a 3rd/4th line winger. I think Josefson has earned at least a trial at 3C, and Larsson should be 4C.

Just because the ship's going down doesn't mean we can't do it in style...

For a game I'd like to see Eichel Kane and O'Reilly on a line because why the hell not a this point.

Who starts in net tonight? What are Lehner's back-to-back stats when he gets pulled in the 1st game?

Wonder if PH will keep the lines the same, seems like they could use a shaking up to me.

Either will give up a mess of goals, so meh

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.