GDT Sabres at Islanders 12/27/17 7PM MSG, GR

Brawndo

There ya go.

End of discussion.

Separately:  As a frequent critic of Lehner's, I will note that the GTG was not saveable and while a save would've been nice on the GWG, Risto let a decent NHL goalscorer cruise into the slot and coil up for a wrister.  That's a much bigger fail by the supposed #1 defenseman than by the goalie. 

End of discussion.

Separately:  As a frequent critic of Lehner's, I will note that the GTG was not saveable and while a save would've been nice on the GWG, Risto let a decent NHL goalscorer cruise into the slot and coil up for a wrister.  That's a much bigger fail by the supposed #1 defenseman than by the goalie. 

Risto has been really bad in letting people cruise into the defensive zone, I want him to stand up at the blue line more.

Thought Lehner was fantastic on the tying goal to send it to OT; can't believe he got the puck in his glove.

Kane had the most lovely opportunity to win it in OT just before we lost in OT...dude has trouble finding the net.

The new year can't get here soon enough.  I think we might start to see some trades in January leading into the trade deadline.

I'm pretty sure Housley is going nowhere this entire season.   I think he will be the HC when next season starts.

But it is also pretty obvious he is not the right guy for this job.  

I think we would have benefitted from a HC with much more experience and same for the GM.

These guys are learning on the job which just adds time to an already time consuming process and demands patience from a fan base that has run dry.

I think Botterill's happy with playoffs in 3 years.

Playoffs in 3 years?! The all-time worst NHL franchise playoff drought is 10 years. We're currently at 6, with this season being 7. I suppose this is what happens when your top draft picks during your drought include Girgensons, Grigorenko, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Reinhart, and Nylander. 

Edited by FuhrUrsinne

I guess it begs the question, are we better off getting a high pick or over acheiving with a different coach? I would love to see some wins but long term another bottom out may help build our prospects.

If these scouts can’t find anyone past the 1st round that can make an impact it will be the same year in and year out. They need better scouts that can find players that can be impact players. Right now it hasn’t happened. Even their 1st rounders are just so so. It’s an absolute joke what this team has become. I don’t blame Pegula he has spent the money but I think now he really has to hire a solid scouting staff.

Playoffs in 3 years?! The all-time worst NHL franchise playoff drought is 10 years. We're currently at 6, with this season being 7. I suppose this is what happens when your top draft picks during your drought include Girgensons, Grigorenko, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Reinhart, and Nylander.

Sad thing about that is Girgensens hasn’t gotten worse. I thought he was playing his best when Nolan coached. Grigorenko and Zadorov were both rushed and were really never that great to begin with. I like Risto but he hasn’t looked good this year. Reinhart was the guy I wanted in his draft year but never really improved much after. He lacks speed. Nylander looks like he has a ton of skill but needs some time.

It's the Buffalo sports mentality...no one wants to win now...a poster above said he rather lose in regulation then get a point. Bills fans don't want the team to make the playoffs because they'll lose in 1st round and want a better draft choice.

It's the Buffalo sports mentality...no one wants to win now...a poster above said he rather lose in regulation then get a point. Bills fans don't want the team to make the playoffs because they'll lose in 1st round and want a better draft choice.

This is not the norm.  Just because a few jack holes feel that way doesn't mean an entire fan base is like minded. 

No. It's being circulated by trusted, official sources as the determining image used by the league.

Do the research.

On another note, I know that the NHL has goal post cameras and now blue line cameras. I'm just wondering what camera that picture was taken from. It's not one of the broadcast cameras, given the angle. I don't know if I've ever seen that goal cam shot before and wonder if they are in every arena. Just our luck, i guess.

The image is from the broadcast but I pulled it from Twitter. I, too, thought it was inconclusive until I saw that view.

How "official" can it be? It could always have been Photoshopped.

On another note, I know that the NHL has goal post cameras and now blue line cameras. I'm just wondering what camera that picture was taken from. It's not one of the broadcast cameras, given the angle. I don't know if I've ever seen that goal cam shot before and wonder if they are in every arena. Just our luck, i guess.

You saw the view from inside the net, right?

The definitive shot was taken from the goal cam that sadly enough showed the puck completely over the line. This shot was not shown to the tv audience until after regulation. Now as far as the way it was handled was crazy. Once they determined that it was a goal they returned the clock to a minute + from where it was originally stopped (42 seconds) and acted as if that time never existed. What if a team had scored during that time that they erased? Would they have erased that goal too?

Would have been nice if Lehner had gotten some more goal support against the worst defensive team in the league.

Risto got caught out there in OT and was tired, I think. Just saying.

I really like most of our defensemen now. What an improvement from last year. They are not this teams problem, though it would be nice if they scored more.

Wouldn't it be nice if some forgotten third round pick emerged and scored goals. That just doesn't happen with us

The definitive shot was taken from the goal cam that sadly enough showed the puck completely over the line. This shot was not shown to the tv audience until after regulation. Now as far as the way it was handled was crazy. Once they determined that it was a goal they returned the clock to a minute + from where it was originally stopped (42 seconds) and acted as if that time never existed. What if a team had scored during that time that they erased? Would they have erased that goal too?

Yes! That actually happened in 1994 in the finals with Vancouver and the Rangers, I believe

Would have been nice if Lehner had gotten some more goal support against the worst defensive team in the league.

Risto got caught out there in OT and was tired, I think. Just saying.

I really like most of our defensemen now. What an improvement from last year. They are not this teams problem, though it would be nice if they scored more.

Wouldn't it be nice if some forgotten third round pick emerged and scored goals. That just doesn't happen with us

Yes! That actually happened in 1994 in the finals with Vancouver and the Rangers, I believe

I completely disagree with this statement. I don't think they are better than last year at all and think they are a major reason for our entire teams lack of scoring.

I think the most definitive shot is the one Borg posted.

Yes, any intervening goal would be wiped out. I don't know how they handle individual events during that time. Shots on goal, ice time, blocks etc. What if a penalty is taken?

I'm still a little hazy on the procedure. Only if they determine that a goal was scored is the game stopped? It would have to be that way, otherwise you could really be screwing a team. The play was stopped with the puck down below the Buffalo goal line. If they were just stopping the play to take a look at it, and determined there was no goal, the Isles could say, wait a minute we were pressing to score.

For the Lehnerites, do you really think if the Sabres scored three goals a game, he wouldn't allow four?

End of discussion.

I watch all the Sabre games, an occassional game here and there and watch the playoffs. I can't ever remember a game being stopped during play that wasn't part of a review from one of the coaches to allow a goal. I might be wrong but Toronto stopped play and interfered with play to allow a goal?? If their coach requests a review to see the play, I'm good with it, but Toronto?? WTF is the NHL doing?? I'm just baffled by the play and again I don't think I've ever seen that before. 

I completely disagree with this statement. I don't think they are better than last year at all and think they are a major reason for our entire teams lack of scoring.

The goals against are way down, we don't get boxed in our own end nearly as much as we used to and they move the puck up. There is a serious lack of talent in the bottom six--or more--at forward and I think that's why we don't score much. Not saying we have a great defense, but it is much improved. Scandella is really good, Beaulieu is pretty good, McCabe is much improved and Bogos brain fart aside last night, he has been skating much better. Risto is pretty much the same, which is pretty darn good.

I watch all the Sabre games, an occassional game here and there and watch the playoffs. I can't ever remember a game being stopped during play that wasn't part of a review from one of the coaches to allow a goal. I might be wrong but Toronto stopped play and interfered with play to allow a goal?? If their coach requests a review to see the play, I'm good with it, but Toronto?? WTF is the NHL doing?? I'm just baffled by the play and again I don't think I've ever seen that before.

I believe it happened earlier this year with Sabres, if I am not mistaken. Don't remember the play but I remember the horn going.

It was new to me as well, but Billznut said it's a new thing this season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.