Girgensons-O’Reilly-Okposo
Pouliot-Josefson-Pominville
Larsson-Rodrigues-Wilson
Nolan extra

Scandella-Ristolainen
McCabe-Bogosian
Gorges-Antipin
Beaulieu-Falk

I don't have much issue with those lines. Sam needs something; he does seem to be playing more physical, that can only be good to have two somewhat physical players with Eichel.

@BuffaloSabres

Follow Follow @BuffaloSabres

More

#Sabres lines:

Kane-Eichel-Reinhart

Girgensons-O’Reilly-Okposo

Pouliot-Josefson-Pominville

Larsson-Rodrigues-Wilson

Nolan extra

Scandella-Ristolainen

McCabe-Bogosian

Gorges-Antipin

Beaulieu-Falk

If they're going to get Reinhart to get his head out of his bippy, playing him w/ Eichel or Kane would be a solid strategy.

Like that Wilson is playing rather than Nolan, but am very surprised that Housley continues to play Larsson at W. He's the rare exception that proves the rule that all C's can play W.

Like that they're putting McCabe - Bogosian back together. That pretty much forces Beaulieu to #7 as he & Antipin on the ice together is very scary. But I'm ok w/ that. Give Gorges a couple of games w/ Antipin then give Falk 1. Lather, rinse, repeat. (At least until a D-man inevitably breaks. Yes, Zach, we're all looking at you.)

Shift Girgensons, Pouliot, & Kane each up 1 slot (or down 2 in Kane's case ;)) & move Larsson to 4C & that is probably as good a line up as they can come up w/ @ present. And that should be able to play at a Day 1 playoff pace. (No way in heck they vcan play at the 110 or so point pace they'd need to actually get into the playoffs.

Hopefully Housley makes those minor tweaks & they stay healthy. The team, in that case, should be at least entertaining.

I'm more interested in seeing Zemgus back up on line 2 and moving Pouliot away from ROR. Is there any rationale for this or are we just throwing things at the wall at this point?

Well, after the do-do has hit the fan, doesn't it usually splatter on the wall? Sorry, if your Q was rhetorical. ;)

The guy is playing like ######, so lets reward him with top line minutes.   

It's sends a message throughout the organization...  if you're underperforming, you'll be rewarded.  Solid strategy.

Meanwhile CJ Smith is lighting the AHL on fire and can't even get a look on the lowest scoring team in the NHL.

And everybody wonders why this team is broken.

Edited by paj två tusen

It's sends a message throughout the organization...  if you're underperforming, you'll be rewarded.  Solid strategy.

Meanwhile CJ Smith is lighting the AHL on fire and can't even get a look on the lowest scoring team in the NHL.

Relax. It's just practice. Let's see what the lines look like on Friday. 

This team is broken because the CJ Smith's of the world were called up too soon and not allowed to properly grow in the AHL.

Reinhart objectively played a decent game.  I don't think it says anything. Not like Pominville was doing anything with Eichel. 

Now that everyone (literally) is healthy, who are you sending down to give Smith his 2 games on the 4th line?

There will be more injuries & Smith'll get a shot to show a glimpse of what he can do, probably in late January.

As for Reinhart, yes, he looks like a bad case of diarrhea on the ice, but if they are going to play him, better to do it on a scoring line that he can be a complementary player on than on a 4th line or checking line. He's not a driver, but he's shown he can be just about a 50 point passenger. Right now, this team badly needs that.

They aren't trading him at present - his value is at an all time low. He doesn't belong on an energy nor a checking line. So, either you bench him or you try to see if he can get back to what he used to do. Those are the extent of the options at present.

I'd rather keep the AHL team winning and intact than subjected to this show

Good, but WTF does Rodrigues have to do to get moved up?  He's one of our only guys that can skate and actually seems to be able to make heads-up plays.  I wouldn't hesitate to put swap him and Girgensons.  Or put him on Eichel's wing.  Do we really have anything to lose if we gave him 10 games on the 1st or 2nd line?

Also, happy to keep CJ Smith, Guhle, Ullmark, Nylander, etc. as far away from this mess as possible.  Let these guys play and win together.  It sounds like we have a good thing going in Rochester and should keep it that way - hopefully for many more years to come.

Other note: Does anyone have interest in ever seeing Girgensons or Larsson play another game for us?  Like, ever?  I honestly can't remember the last time I was excited about either guy being on the team.  I want them gone just from an entertainment standpoint; they're boring as **** to watch and definitely won't be a part of the team when we're good again (hopefully before Star Wars Episode XII is out).  Hopefully both are gone at the deadline.

Good, but WTF does Rodrigues have to do to get moved up?  He's one of our only guys that can skate and actually seems to be able to make heads-up plays.  I wouldn't hesitate to put swap him and Girgensons.  Or put him on Eichel's wing.  Do we really have anything to lose if we gave him 10 games on the 1st or 2nd line?

Also, happy to keep CJ Smith, Guhle, Ullmark, Nylander, etc. as far away from this mess as possible.  Let these guys play and win together.  It sounds like we have a good thing going in Rochester and should keep it that way - hopefully for many more years to come.

Other note: Does anyone have interest in ever seeing Girgensons or Larsson play another game for us?  Like, ever?  I honestly can't remember the last time I was excited about either guy being on the team.  I want them gone just from an entertainment standpoint; they're boring as **** to watch and definitely won't be a part of the team when we're good again (hopefully before Star Wars Episode XII is out).  Hopefully both are gone at the deadline.

Agreed with every point on here. Good post

Swap Rodrigues and Josefson and I'm actually reasonably happy with the lines. In fact, that is the only thing that I don't see any logical explanation for.

Swap Rodrigues and Josefson and I'm actually reasonably happy with the lines. In fact, that is the only thing that I don't see any logical explanation for.

I agree.  Erod deserves to be playing at least 3rd lines minutes.  Josefson isn't an NHL player.

As to Reinhart moving back to Jack's wing.  Good!  Finally!  I hate when coaches put talented players on the 4th line.  I get we are sending him a message and you need to earn PT etc... But that is really a bunch of BS.  If you are going to get the best out of your talent, coaches need to put players where they can succeed.  You don't like Reinhart's play stick him in the pressbox, but don't waste him on the 4th line.

Thank the friggen Lord. Sam is valuable on the top line playing with Jack. He's not a centre right now. He's not effective on a lower line. He's smart and has to play with skilled players to succeed. Agreed that this may be his last shot for awhile. Hope he makes the most of it.

I actually like these lines. I don't necessarily look at it as rewarding poor play. I look at it as a final warning to Reinhart and Girgensons to start producing. If Reinhart can't do anything with Eichel and Kane, then he's done here beyond January. Same situation for Girgensons with O'Reilly and Okposo.

I actually like these lines. I don't necessarily look at it as rewarding poor play. I look at it as a final warning to Reinhart and Girgensons to start producing. If Reinhart can't do anything with Eichel and Kane, then he's done here beyond January. Same situation for Girgensons with O'Reilly and Okposo.

Because it's not. If ice time were handed out only based upon merit, we'd be playing 2 men down for 75% of every game.

Relax. It's just practice. Let's see what the lines look like on Friday. 

I'm having a bad day.

This team is broken because the CJ Smith's of the world were called up too soon and not allowed to properly grow in the AHL.

Reinhart objectively played a decent game.  I don't think it says anything. Not like Pominville was doing anything with Eichel. 

Disagree.   This team is broken because of a leadership void and a soft coach.

Now that everyone (literally) is healthy, who are you sending down to give Smith his 2 games on the 4th line?

There will be more injuries & Smith'll get a shot to show a glimpse of what he can do, probably in late January.

As for Reinhart, yes, he looks like a bad case of diarrhea on the ice, but if they are going to play him, better to do it on a scoring line that he can be a complementary player on than on a 4th line or checking line. He's not a driver, but he's shown he can be just about a 50 point passenger. Right now, this team badly needs that.

They aren't trading him at present - his value is at an all time low. He doesn't belong on an energy nor a checking line. So, either you bench him or you try to see if he can get back to what he used to do. Those are the extent of the options at present.

I'd start by waiving Larsson, Nolan and Wilson.    They're useless.   Leave those 3 spots open to rotate guys in from Roch.   A line of Smith, Fasching, Rodrigues might be fun.. and they probably get 3rd line minutes... rotate Nylander, Bailey, Baptiste, Crisco, Gill, Porter, etc.   Keep doing that until somebody shows they want to stick around.

As for Reinhart, keep him on the 4th line until he does something... or play him with they young kids, maybe they'll find some chemistry with some unexpected combination.    The wrong thing to do is to keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.    Whatever they'd tried to his point has failed.    

I'd rather keep the AHL team winning and intact than subjected to this ###### show

Right, but at some point you need to reward the guys playing well down there.    Do you leave CJ Smith there forever?  He's a millenial, he's gonna start to get grumpy soon because... entitlements.  

I'd like to get Housley's real thoughts on why he's doing this. Bylsma used to get creamed for moving his 3rd man on his 2 man lines. The only common denominator to Phil's lines is he completely blows them up than puts them back together again. Personally I didn't think Sam played bad his past 2 games but his TOI was very low, now he gets rewarded, for what, in getting put on the 1st line from the 4th. 

It's almost like he's just rolling the dice to see what falls out.

I'm having a bad day.

I'd start by waiving Larsson, Nolan and Wilson.    They're useless.   Leave those 3 spots open to rotate guys in from Roch.   A line of Smith, Fasching, Rodrigues might be fun.. and they probably get 3rd line minutes... rotate Nylander, Bailey, Baptiste, Crisco, Gill, Porter, etc.   Keep doing that until somebody shows they want to stick around.

As for Reinhart, keep him on the 4th line until he does something... or play him with they young kids, maybe they'll find some chemistry with some unexpected combination.    The wrong thing to do is to keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.    Whatever they'd tried to his point has failed.    

Right, but at some point you need to reward the guys playing well down there.    Do you leave CJ Smith there forever?  He's a millenial, he's gonna start to get grumpy soon because... entitlements.  

I think Kris Baker had something about Smith doing so well in Rochester because he's already taking the longer road to the NHL and sees the benefit of playing a full year in the AHL to get there.  He's not a guy that was ever really hyped or talked about as a future NHLer, so he's had to work extra hard and be patient the whole way through.  And it's paying off.  In general, it sounds like he, Ullmark, and Guhle are all relishing this season in Rochester to help be key players on a winning team.  Nylander had a quote too about the team being so fun this year.

I'm having a bad day.

Are where would you learn leadership at the professional level if not Rochester first? 

That is the exact wrong way to do this. There is no stability. No expectation or standard set. It is just a carousel that you hope someone can stick. 

This meme is so old and overplayed. Considering a bunch of baby boomers just stole trillions of dollars from Millennials, I think maybe we should talk about the self centered ###### that are the baby boomers. They have no regard for anyone but themselves and think the best approach is to ###### over everyone and everything in their way. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Hasn't Mitch Marner, by all accounts, had a disappointing season so far? He's played a ton on the 4th line from what I've read. He's managed 24 points this season - or, basically what Reinhart is projecting to over a full season. That's what regular disappointment looks like. But no, our guy had to fall off the face of the Flat Earth.

I don't think these lines remain come gameday, but if they do, I agree with those who have said it could be a "last chance" type deal for Sam. I'd like to see if he has any sort of answer.

We'll see.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.