Lehner: Mediocre or the Goalie of the Future?

WildCard

52 members have voted

1. 1. Is Lehner Good Enough?

• Of Course
    • Hell No

I think Lehner is good and I think he's good enough for a playoff team assuming the rest of the roster improves around him to be playoff caliber (one day it'll happen).

That being said, I don't think good enough is worth a long term contract for big money, so if they'd rather trade him so they could use that cap space elsewhere, I'm ok with it.

In a hypothetical choice between trading him for a 2nd round pick at the deadline or signing him to a 5 year $25 million contract I would trade him for a second round pick, bring up Ullmark, and re-sign Johnson or some similar veteran for backup money ($2-3 million for 1 or 2 years) to back him up.

If he isn't traded though, I'd re-sign Lehner to a short one or two year deal, let Johnson walk, and let him battle it out with Ullmark to see who starts next season.

I'm on the same page as you. He's making $4m this year, which seems high for an average goaltender. If he wanted to sign for $3-4m again, I'd probably do it. He'll be asking for $5M like you say, and that's getting too rich for me.

Edited by MattiPaj

• 2 weeks later...

How long does he have to sustain this level before you sign him long-term?

Until he learns how to stop a shoot out goal I wouldn't sign him to a deal longer than 3 years at the most. If he wants $5 million I wouldn't offer him more than 2 years.

Edited by Alkoholist

How long does he have to sustain this level before you sign him long-term?

His flaws are all still there, even last night. His rebound control is average at best, he loses the puck when it goes behind the net, and he struggles to hug the post. Then there's his record in OT and shootouts.

He's the Tyrod Taylor of starting goalies. He can be dazzling at times but he's flawed and doesn't really belong in the top tier.

Depending on what the alternatives are this summer, I can see bringing Lehner back for another "prove it" 1- or 2-year deal, but I don't think it's possible for him to play well enough this year for me to want to give him more term than that.

I don't think Lehner is going to be interested in a "prove it" deal after his numbers this year. He'll take us to arbitration and the arbitrator is going to reward him.

But I think arbitration only yields a 1- or 2-year deal, innit?

I think he'd take his chances.

Either way, I don't think Botterill will give him another "prove it" offer. I think his agent will have a convincing case that he has proven it.

Lehner is getting a long term deal at a nice price from someone. But I don't know if it'll be this team. Which is why I would trade him. Let some other team pay him. His status as an RFA is attractive I think.

Thing is, this is Lehner’s prove-it season.

If he continues to play like he has this past month, doesn’t he prove it?

For me a lot will depend on how many wins he puts up.  I know it's a team game, but I gotta see him close out games, including in the SO, to feel like he gives his team confidence in front of him.

Lehner is an above average goalie that will hopefully be playing for a different team by the end of the season.  Seems like an ok guy but he isn't worth much more than a 3rd round pick at the deadline.  Ullmark is our goalie of the future, but I'm hoping we trade for an above average goalie in the off-season (whose name doesn't rhyme with Bobbin Gainer) and run a 1a-1b goalie tandem next year to ease him into NHL starter action. 

Lehner is an above average goalie that will hopefully be playing for a different team by the end of the season.  Seems like an ok guy but he isn't worth much more than a 3rd round pick at the deadline.  Ullmark is our goalie of the future, but I'm hoping we trade for an above average goalie in the off-season (whose name doesn't rhyme with Bobbin Gainer) and run a 1a-1b goalie tandem next year to ease him into NHL starter action. 

IF Lehner's traded, do you keep Linus in Rochester for the sake of development/keeping him in the winning culture, or do you acquire another rental goalie to split with Johnson?

To me anyway, trading Lehner at this point would be a sign that this season is a tank/writeoff given CJ's inferior play. I'm fine either way keeping/trading him, but Lehner, flaws and all, gives this team its' best (slim) hopes of winning.

IF Lehner's traded, do you keep Linus in Rochester for the sake of development/keeping him in the winning culture, or do you acquire another rental goalie to split with Johnson?

To me anyway, trading Lehner at this point would be a sign that this season is a tank/writeoff given CJ's inferior play. I'm fine either way keeping/trading him, but Lehner, flaws and all, gives this team its' best (slim) hopes of winning.

Welcome!!

The season is lost, but I don't think the Sabres should be dumping any player that is even remotely OK.

I hope if Lehner is traded before the trade deadline that they bring in another goalie so they can keep Ullmark in Rochester this season. If Botterill really wants to focus on building the farm then there's no way he can just steal the Amerks starting goalie while they are battling for playoff positioning. Leave him there for the season and what will hopefully turn out to be multiple rounds of playoffs.

Welcome!!

The season is lost, but I don't think the Sabres should be dumping any player that is even remotely OK.

Thanks!!  I've come to conquer your women and bring glory to the Infallible Leader.

I think it's fine to say anyone not named Eichel is fair game. But certain folks like Lehner, Kane, and Risto (whom they'd better not trade--my fave! <3) deserve a higher can't-miss price than others.

I realize I'm not conquering any new ground with this post, but my therapist says engaging in conversation is the best way to respond to meeting new people.

Lehner is frustrating...he will make great save after great save and then let in a crappy goal.  Lehner gets hung out to dry quite often by this team, but at the end of the night too many times you are left wondering how he let in the winning goal.

He is historically terrible in shootouts(NHL worst career save percentage in shootouts) but OK on breakaways.  I can't see paying a guy big money who is "one-dimensional" as a goalie...we can't be giving away points in the shootouts, it can cost us the playoffs down the line.

All goalies let in soft goals from time to time. Ryan Miller was practically worshipped in Buffalo and he let in soft goals all the time. The difference is that this team didn't have problems scoring for most of Miller's career in Buffalo so that soft goals he let in were brushed aside because the team still won more often than not.

If this team was scoring more and winning games you wouldn't see nearly as much whining and complaining about Lehner. I still don't want to pay him $5+ million over a long term contract and he definitely needs to improve in shootouts but there are a dozen bigger issues with this team over his play.

The fact is that we have a tradition here in Buffalo of strong goaltending. Lehner just does not live up to what we've come to expect.

I don't expect another Hasek who single-handedly carries us to the playoffs, but we at least need a goaltender who steals a few games for us. We have the opposite.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.