What if Ted Nolan was coaching?

LikeEich

Ted Nolan coached a team with significantly less talent-at arguably every position- to more points then were projected to finish with. How is it possible? Is he a better coach?

Hypothetically speaking,how many points would our sabres have at this point in the season, with Nolan coaching.

How many points would Eichel have?

Would the team be better or worse off in your mind?

I'm all for hiring Nolan as an assistant, to bring guys to the dark room and put them over his knee if need be. Is that what the team needs?

Ted Nolan's ceiling is a low hockey IQ hard working straight forward north south team.... it will only get you so far.    Teams running more advanced systems will be able to shut them down.   

Housley's ceiling is... is..... uh... well...  I.. um... yeah.   

Still think Housley is looking for his guys... betting a lot of movement over the next year.  Especially on D... Bogo?? McCabe...  and some of the young guys coming up from Rochester.  It will be interesting to see the type of players they decide to draft...

Still think Housley is looking for his guys... betting a lot of movement over the next year. Especially on D... Bogo?? McCabe... and some of the young guys coming up from Rochester. It will be interesting to see the type of players they decide to draft...

I think it's just a garbage lack of talent anywhere but 4 guys up front. Idk who, pi maybe, but they called the abysmal bottom 6 being a problem and they were right

We’ve watched it twice. Once with Hasek, once without.

Enough.

I was at the game when Derek Plante scored the OT goal off Tugnutt's glove.

I can't find any replay showing Nolan after the goal. It's forever ingrained in my head- he was doing the windmill, Townsend style almost, running out onto the ice

I was also at the playoff game when Drury scored to tie it up with only a couple seconds left. Man, hard to believe that was Buffalo.

I still love Ted Nolan.

This hypothetical though? Nah.

totally agree. I love Ted Nolan. The year he won Coach of the Year, that club was exciting to watch. Short on talent. 100 % effort. Ahhh, the good old days!

We’ve watched it twice. Once with Hasek, once without.

Enough.

And both those teams were better then the current roster and #### show!

This team would suck if Nolan was coaching. This would suck if Babcock was coaching. The issue isn't the coaching. It is setting a standard and then providing real consequences if you fall below that standard.  

They still might suck, just a whole lot less and definitely be more entertaining then what we're seeing right now. Wait until the St. Louis game! Have you seen the Blues speed and fore check. They made the Leafs look slow.

This team would suck if Nolan was coaching. This would suck if Babcock was coaching. The issue isn't the coaching. It is setting a standard and then providing real consequences if you fall below that standard.  

Eh. I think we'd be hovering around .500 with Babcock

I still think Bogo fits his system and won't be traded.

He can't stay healthy. He's less than useless if he's hurt all the time

I agree but having a coach that going to enforce that standard should help achieve said standard no?

I like JBot as well as Housley. Ny no means am i saying bring back teddy... but not having heart or a compete level is so frustrating. Definetly going further with housley then we would with Nolan. But damn we could use his hard working motivational tactics

I agree but having a coach that going to enforce that standard should help achieve said standard no?

I like JBot as well as Housley. Ny no means am i saying bring back teddy... but not having heart or a compete level is so frustrating. Definetly going further with housley then we would with Nolan. But damn we could use his hard working motivational tactics

I beg to differ on Housley. I have a sneaking suspicion we are going no where with Phil. Time will tell. Having said that , I do hope that you are right though and I am wrong. Just a feeling on my part. I don't like what I see of this club under Phil. He doesn't sit players and seems to tolerate "phone it in" efforts. That cannot happen .Everyone feels good right now after a win in Colorado (who is improved but still not a playoff contender) Lets talk again after the St. Louis game.

I think it's just a garbage lack of talent anywhere but 4 guys up front. Idk who, pi maybe, but they called the abysmal bottom 6 being a problem and they were right

Yeah, that was me.   This team won't get to the next level with guys like Girgensons and Larsson on the roster.   They don't do anything particularly well, they can't score, or create offense and they can't defend well.    They lack hockey IQ and quickness.      I thought Brian Boyle would've been a perfect fit... he can defend, take draws, and brings a much needed veteran presence.

https://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/24865-2017-free-agent-frenzy/page-6#entry960474  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.